• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My encounter in Berea

NomadMan

My wife and I were traveling through Kentucky and we pulled off the interstate in Berea to get some gas at the BP. After filling up I went into the store, but checked the door to make sure there was mot a “No Firearms” sign first, which there was not. In my home state, Mississippi, I open carry everywhere and all the time and when I travel I open carry wherever legal. As I stepped through the door the young lady behind counter looked at me, smiled and said “Good Morning.” She saw my firearm, not hard to miss as I carry a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt on my hip and I smiled and said, “Good Morning.”

I purchased a coffee and then went into the restroom. When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me.

Carry on Kentucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me...
Thanks for brightening my day! :cool:

Brian D.

NomadMan,I wonder if the lady with the t-shirt was local? If so she might not be the only anti-gun resident, thanks to the college town influence. But if YOU lived there, you'd be able to list all of 'em by name. ;)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
My wife and I were traveling through Kentucky and we pulled off the interstate in Berea to get some gas at the BP. After filling up I went into the store, but checked the door to make sure there was mot a “No Firearms” sign first, which there was not. In my home state, Mississippi, I open carry everywhere and all the time and when I travel I open carry wherever legal. As I stepped through the door the young lady behind counter looked at me, smiled and said “Good Morning.” She saw my firearm, not hard to miss as I carry a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt on my hip and I smiled and said, “Good Morning.”

I purchased a coffee and then went into the restroom. When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me.

Carry on Kentucky!
+1 Nice!

self preservation

Great story. That's one thing that I love about OC, once in a great while you can piss of an anti. I hate when people say "I don't OC because I don't want to offend/scare the sheep/liberals." It will be a cold day in hell when I care about their feelings.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I purchased a coffee and then went into the restroom. When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me.

Carry on Kentucky!

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona NomadMan!:)
Sounds like a great experience. Definitely brightened my day as well.

Add.: I see now you have actually been a member since December 2013. I only saw the post count. My bad. :(

Last edited:

NomadMan

Great story. That's one thing that I love about OC, once in a great while you can piss of an anti. I hate when people say "I don't OC because I don't want to offend/scare the sheep/liberals." It will be a cold day in hell when I care about their feelings.

Yep, that is one of my many reasons for OCing. When you OC you wear your politics on your hip :)

OC4me

Ya know, sooner or later a few enterprising OCers are going to get themselves some of those "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirts. I think they'd go rather well with a holster.

Last edited:

Superlite27

Ya know, sooner or later a few enterprising OCers are going to get themselves some of those "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirts. I think they'd go rather well with a holster.

Oh, I've been wanting one for a long time now.

The problem is, I haven't found any, second hand.

I have been scouring Goodwill, swap meets, garage sales, and second hand stores for ages in my desire to acquire one of these wonderful things.

UNDER NO CIRCUMTANCES SHOULD ANYONE DONATE $30 TO THEIR CAUSE TO PURCHASE A NEW ONE.

If anyone has one of these items that would make such a wonderful statement: OC'ing while wearing an "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirt (I'd even buy an MDA shirt as they're easily recognizable) I will purchase one from you at the full price of $30, as sold new.

I will NOT contribute a dime to their cause for it, however.

mynameiscolb

Oh, I've been wanting one for a long time now.

The problem is, I haven't found any, second hand.

I have been scouring Goodwill, swap meets, garage sales, and second hand stores for ages in my desire to acquire one of these wonderful things.

UNDER NO CIRCUMTANCES SHOULD ANYONE DONATE $30 TO THEIR CAUSE TO PURCHASE A NEW ONE.

If anyone has one of these items that would make such a wonderful statement: OC'ing while wearing an "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirt (I'd even buy an MDA shirt as they're easily recognizable) I will purchase one from you at the full price of $30, as sold new.

I will NOT contribute a dime to their cause for it, however.
What if we make our own shirts? "Every Open Carrier for Gun Safety"

Or

"OC'ers Demand Action for Common Sense in America"

cjohnson44546

Yes, indeed. Its not that I don't care if they are pissed, I want them to be. That is one of the best parts of OC. It really pisses them off. There you are, right there in front of them and there is nothing they can do about it. Even if they aren't anywhere close by, they are pissed. My OC really offends Nancy Pelosi, and that just makes my day.

might want to watch out for those types of people… most aren't too smart, and can be rather scummy. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation was right (other witnesses that would lie for them), that they'd would call the police on you and say you threatened them with your gun and tried to kill/rob/rape them. Don't assume they cannot do anything, always watch yourself in any situation.

NomadMan

might want to watch out for those types of people… most aren't too smart, and can be rather scummy. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation was right (other witnesses that would lie for them), that they'd would call the police on you and say you threatened them with your gun and tried to kill/rob/rape them. Don't assume they cannot do anything, always watch yourself in any situation.

Has anyone else ever noticed that firearm carriers "never" talk about shooting someone, but liberals will frequently make such statements toward those who defend firearms?

Brian D.

Some pro-gun guys started the Facebook page for the Ohio chapter of Everytown For Gun Safety before the antis realized what had happened. Gives me a chuckle whenever I go there.