Thread: Cincinnati open carry law

Cincinnati open carry law

Hi. I'm new to all this. I just recently just started back my interest in guns. I was going to buy a M&P 9mm full size in a couple day. Now that I live in cinicnnati, OH would I be able to open carry until I get my CHL?
    Are there any people in cincinnati, OH that are open carrying?
    Are there people doing the open carry walks in this area?
    Last edited by cincyguy; 05-13-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cincyguy View Post
    Hi. I'm new to all this. I just recently just started back my interest in guns. I was going to buy a M&P 9mm full size in a couple day. Now that I live in cinicnnati, OH would I be able to open carry until I get my CHL?
    Are there any people in cincinnati, OH that are open carrying?
    Are there people doing the open carry walks in this area?
    Welcome to OCDO.

Presuming one has no disqualifiers it is legal to OC in Ohio, but not in a vehicle w/o a permit. There are some limitations in all states as to a few locations that do not permit carry - become familiar with Ohio and federal restrictions.

As to your last 2 questions, I suggest you read the Ohio sub-forum threads:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...y.php?119-Ohio
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Well thanks. I read a lot about the laws and watched a lot of youtube videos, but I don't see no videos of people in my area doing the walk.

Well thanks. I read a lot about the laws and watched a lot of youtube videos, but I don't see no videos of people in my area doing the walk.
    University of Cincinnati Open Carry Walk on Youtube from last fall. The organizer is from the area.

Quote Originally Posted by pirateguy191 View Post
    University of Cincinnati Open Carry Walk on Youtube from last fall. The organizer is from the area.
    There was also University of Akron earlier this year:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_2...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-13-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Thanks for that. I would like to be apart of a walk one day

Go to that link Grapeshot posted.......think Jeff is planning another walk soon. I plan on going if I'm free.

I don't know anyone in Cincinnati who open carries!

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I don't know anyone in Cincinnati who open carries!
    Hey there BB62, mind a suggestion? Maybe for threads like this where the OP is from our area and new to open carry, you could post a link to one or more of those missives sent out by the last couple of Cincinnati police chiefs on the topic?

I think having such paperwork on one's person during his/her first weeks of OC, or maybe always, especially if not taking part in a group event, can provide some confidence and peace of mind if stopped by an LEO. Been my experience that such encounters end more quickly and become less frequent if the officer(s) involved know that YOU know what they are SUPPOSED to know.

You know?

Maybe those directives from CPD Chiefs could even become a 'sticky' thread at the top of the Ohio page, with some Moderator help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Hey there BB62, mind a suggestion? Maybe for threads like this where the OP is from our area and new to open carry, you could post a link to one or more of those missives sent out by the last couple of Cincinnati police chiefs on the topic?

I think having such paperwork on one's person during his/her first weeks of OC, or maybe always, especially if not taking part in a group event, can provide some confidence and peace of mind if stopped by an LEO. Been my experience that such encounters end more quickly and become less frequent if the officer(s) involved know that YOU know what they are SUPPOSED to know.

You know?

Maybe those directives from CPD Chiefs could even become a 'sticky' thread at the top of the Ohio page, with some Moderator help.
    Your suggestion is my command!

Cincyguy, check out item #3: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...F0/showMeta/0/

And, if you're in Cleveland: http://ohioccw.org/files/OFCC-14-117...-IN-PUBLIC.pdf (forgive the over-the-top organizational advertisement)

Tell us some more about yourself, Cincyguy. What got you back into guns and into OC?

Well I'm from Cincinnati and I want to start open carrying in this area if I could find people willing to walk or just make a group for the Cincinnati area. I just been watching youtube videos and I wanted to do this for awhile me and my cousin talked about it she actually went and got her chl but she lives in Columbus bt she doesn't have a gun yet. I went and bought my gun but don't have my chl yet until this weekend ill be taking my ccw classes, but yeah I would like to be apart of a walk and just meet people that are into it so I can pick their brains about things I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by 3FULLMAGS+1 View Post
    Go to that link Grapeshot posted.......think Jeff is planning another walk soon. I plan on going if I'm free.
    So where would the walk be held?

Your suggestion is my command!

Cincyguy, check out item #3: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...F0/showMeta/0/

And, if you're in Cleveland: http://ohioccw.org/files/OFCC-14-117...-IN-PUBLIC.pdf (forgive the over-the-top organizational advertisement)

Tell us some more about yourself, Cincyguy. What got you back into guns and into OC?
    Hey I looked at that link and that was posted back in 2012. is that still relevant now or has that been changed?

So where would the walk be held?
    No local walk is planned currently. You should have been here last year!

Tell us some more about yourself so interested parties can consider meeting you. How old are you (20-30, 30-40, etc.) and what got you thinking about OCing? Where are you taking your CCW class?

What are some of the things you'd like to know?

No local walk is planned currently. You should have been here last year!

Tell us some more about yourself so interested parties can consider meeting you. How old are you (20-30, 30-40, etc.) and what got you thinking about OCing? Where are you taking your CCW class?

What are some of the things you'd like to know?
    I posted a new thread called newbie

I posted a new thread called newbie
    Linked:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...?130034-Newbie