• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cincinnati open carry law

cincyguy

Hi. I'm new to all this. I just recently just started back my interest in guns. I was going to buy a M&P 9mm full size in a couple day. Now that I live in cinicnnati, OH would I be able to open carry until I get my CHL?
Are there any people in cincinnati, OH that are open carrying?
Are there people doing the open carry walks in this area?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi. I'm new to all this. I just recently just started back my interest in guns. I was going to buy a M&P 9mm full size in a couple day. Now that I live in cinicnnati, OH would I be able to open carry until I get my CHL?
Are there any people in cincinnati, OH that are open carrying?
Are there people doing the open carry walks in this area?

Welcome to OCDO.

Presuming one has no disqualifiers it is legal to OC in Ohio, but not in a vehicle w/o a permit. There are some limitations in all states as to a few locations that do not permit carry - become familiar with Ohio and federal restrictions.

As to your last 2 questions, I suggest you read the Ohio sub-forum threads:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?119-Ohio

cincyguy

Well thanks. I read a lot about the laws and watched a lot of youtube videos, but I don't see no videos of people in my area doing the walk.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

Brian D.

I don't know anyone in Cincinnati who open carries! ;)

Hey there BB62, mind a suggestion? Maybe for threads like this where the OP is from our area and new to open carry, you could post a link to one or more of those missives sent out by the last couple of Cincinnati police chiefs on the topic?

I think having such paperwork on one's person during his/her first weeks of OC, or maybe always, especially if not taking part in a group event, can provide some confidence and peace of mind if stopped by an LEO. Been my experience that such encounters end more quickly and become less frequent if the officer(s) involved know that YOU know what they are SUPPOSED to know.

You know? ;)

Maybe those directives from CPD Chiefs could even become a 'sticky' thread at the top of the Ohio page, with some Moderator help.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Hey there BB62, mind a suggestion? Maybe for threads like this where the OP is from our area and new to open carry, you could post a link to one or more of those missives sent out by the last couple of Cincinnati police chiefs on the topic?

I think having such paperwork on one's person during his/her first weeks of OC, or maybe always, especially if not taking part in a group event, can provide some confidence and peace of mind if stopped by an LEO. Been my experience that such encounters end more quickly and become less frequent if the officer(s) involved know that YOU know what they are SUPPOSED to know.

You know? ;)

Maybe those directives from CPD Chiefs could even become a 'sticky' thread at the top of the Ohio page, with some Moderator help.
Your suggestion is my command!

Cincyguy, check out item #3: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/linkservid/18BFD387-B6DA-077C-9CA3C47BC23AB4F0/showMeta/0/

And, if you're in Cleveland: http://ohioccw.org/files/OFCC-14-117-OPEN-CARRY-OF-FIREARMS-IN-PUBLIC.pdf (forgive the over-the-top organizational advertisement)

Tell us some more about yourself, Cincyguy. What got you back into guns and into OC?

cincyguy

Well I'm from Cincinnati and I want to start open carrying in this area if I could find people willing to walk or just make a group for the Cincinnati area. I just been watching youtube videos and I wanted to do this for awhile me and my cousin talked about it she actually went and got her chl but she lives in Columbus bt she doesn't have a gun yet. I went and bought my gun but don't have my chl yet until this weekend ill be taking my ccw classes, but yeah I would like to be apart of a walk and just meet people that are into it so I can pick their brains about things I don't know

cincyguy

Your suggestion is my command!

Cincyguy, check out item #3: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/linkservid/18BFD387-B6DA-077C-9CA3C47BC23AB4F0/showMeta/0/

And, if you're in Cleveland: http://ohioccw.org/files/OFCC-14-117-OPEN-CARRY-OF-FIREARMS-IN-PUBLIC.pdf (forgive the over-the-top organizational advertisement)

Tell us some more about yourself, Cincyguy. What got you back into guns and into OC?

Hey I looked at that link and that was posted back in 2012. is that still relevant now or has that been changed?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
So where would the walk be held?
No local walk is planned currently. :cry: You should have been here last year! :banana:

Tell us some more about yourself so interested parties can consider meeting you. How old are you (20-30, 30-40, etc.) and what got you thinking about OCing? Where are you taking your CCW class?

What are some of the things you'd like to know?

cincyguy

No local walk is planned currently. :cry: You should have been here last year! :banana:

Tell us some more about yourself so interested parties can consider meeting you. How old are you (20-30, 30-40, etc.) and what got you thinking about OCing? Where are you taking your CCW class?

What are some of the things you'd like to know?

I posted a new thread called newbie