• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toledo: The Fourth Amendment PROTECTS open carry of guns (6th Circuit)

Repeater

The victim of a false arrest, Shawn Northrup, may proceed with a Section 1983 lawsuit.

Analysis by Eugene Volokh:

The Fourth Amendment and open carry of guns (where such open carry is legal)
From the Sixth Circuit federal court of appeals decision today in Northrup v. Toledo Police Dept.:

While open-carry laws may put police officers (and some motorcyclists) in awkward situations from time to time, the Ohio legislature has decided its citizens may be entrusted with firearms on public streets. Ohio Rev. Code §§ 9.68, 2923.125. The Toledo Police Department has no authority to disregard this decision — not to mention the protections of the Fourth Amendment — by detaining every “gunman” who lawfully possesses a firearm. And it has long been clearly established that an officer needs evidence of criminality or dangerousness before he may detain and disarm a law-abiding citizen. We thus affirm the district court’s conclusion that, after reading the factual inferences in the record in Northrup’s favor, Officer Bright could not reasonably suspect that Northrup needed to be disarmed.

As Eugene says of the opinion above:
But to coercively stop a person — and certainly to handcuff the person, which is what happened in this case — the police do have to have such reasonable suspicion. And if all they see is someone openly carrying a gun in a state in which such open carry is legal, the Fourth Amendment prevents them from “search[ing]” or “seiz[ing]” that person. One can support open carry or oppose it (some states ban open carry of guns but broadly offer licenses to carry concealed), but if open carry is legal, this result seems quite right under Fourth Amendment law.

The Toledo blade has more:

Appeals court clears way for Toledoan to sue police
A federal appeals court today cleared the way for a Toledo resident to sue a city police officer for allegedly detaining him illegally for openly carrying a semi-automatic handgun.

“The Fourth Amendment no doubt permitted (Officer David) Bright to approach Northrup and to ask him questions,” wrote Circuit Judge Jeffrey Sutton. “But that is not what he did. He relied on these facts to stop (Shawn) Northrup, disarm him, and handcuff him.

“Ohio law permits the open carry of firearms …, and thus permitted Northrup to do exactly what he was doing,” he wrote. “While the dispatcher and motorcyclist may not have known the details of Ohio’s open-carry firearm law, the police officer had no basis for such uncertainty.”

The officer claimed Mr. Northrup removed his cellphone and then moved his hand back toward the gun where the phone had been, which the officer saw as a “furtive movement.”

Mr. Northrup said he removed his phone to record the interaction. He kept asking questions rather than comply with the officer’s demand that he turn around and raise his hands above his head.

Cops use that “furtive movement” excuse way too often to justify disarming and handcuffing law-abiding citizens.

And if OC could be construed to 'inducing panic' like the old "Yelling fire in a crowded theater" then we are all doomed.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Cops use that “furtive movement” excuse way too often to justify disarming and handcuffing law-abiding citizens.

+1

We just have to recognize the insidious nature of the statement. Its a sneaky attempt to usurp the judge's function. Here is what I mean by that.

A movement is just a movement. Whether it is furtive or not is an evaluation about the movement.

Stating the facts is the witness's job. Evaluating those facts is the judges' job, or the jury's.

I'll bet that if every defense counsel started objecting to the term "furtive movement" from a cop during a pre-trial (suppression) hearing, demanding only the actual motion, then it wouldn't take long for this furtive movement nonsense to disappear.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
We just have to recognize the insidious nature of the statement. Its a sneaky attempt to usurp the judge's function. Here is what I mean by that.

A movement is just a movement. Whether it is furtive or not is an evaluation about the movement.

Stating the facts is the witness's job. Evaluating those facts is the judges' job, or the jury's.

I'll bet that if every defense counsel started objecting to the term "furtive movement" from a cop during a pre-trial (suppression) hearing, demanding only the actual motion, then it wouldn't take long for this furtive movement nonsense to disappear.

Very insightful.

Does this same logic apply to other subjective terms like "wielding" a gun or "acting erratically?"

Charles

JoeSparky

Centurion
As posted by Repeater in post number 1 of this thread-----
[QUOTE
The Fourth Amendment and open carry of guns (where such open carry is legal)
From the Sixth Circuit federal court of appeals decision today in Northrup v. Toledo Police Dept.:

While open-carry laws may put police officers (and some motorcyclists) in awkward situations from time to time, the Ohio legislature has decided its citizens may be entrusted with firearms on public streets. Ohio Rev. Code §§ 9.68, 2923.125. The Toledo Police Department has no authority to disregard this decision — not to mention the protections of the Fourth Amendment — by detaining every “gunman” who lawfully possesses a firearm. And it has long been clearly established that an officer needs evidence of criminality or dangerousness before he may detain and disarm a law-abiding citizen. We thus affirm the district court’s conclusion that, after reading the factual inferences in the record in Northrup’s favor, Officer Bright could not reasonably suspect that Northrup needed to be disarmed.

[/QUOTE]

So, where does the practice of disarming one for "officer safety" stand where so many of us have been disarmed and / or had our firearms unloaded/disassembled and/or the serial numbers run?

Last edited:

Werz

But please note one caveat, largely due to the antics of Leonard Embody:

What about the possibility that Northrup was carrying a firearm not covered by the Ohio law? Had Northrup been carrying a gun that looked like an assault rifle or some other illicit firearm, that might have justified the officer’s conduct. Northrup v. City of Toledo Police Dep’t, et al., No. 14-4050 (6th Cir. May 13, 2015), citing Embody v. Ward, 695 F.3d 577, 580–81 (6th Cir. 2012).
A word of caution to those who like to openly carry firearms styled on the AR and AK platforms: the court does not consider them to be the same as a handgun when it comes to reasonable suspicion.

Werz

Objection would not be the best tactic; it might prompt the officer to articulate the nature of the movement. It would be safer to let it pass and argue the conclusory nature of the statement.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
In one sense, this case is just following on dicta mentioned in an earlier case: Florida vs JL.

JL was a minor, thus only his initials. Somebody reported him as having a gun under his shirt at a bus stop. The case was actually about the reliability of an anonymous tip.

But, in the dicta, the court recounted the government's argument that guns should have a special exception to the Fourth Amendment. And, then the court expressly declined to adopt the government's recommendation to carve out a special Fourth Amendment exception for guns.

Baked on Grease

Will we finally have a case that addresses the 'armed and dangerous' requirement of Terry?

For so long cops have disarmed simply because someone is carrying, the justice here specifically mentions that a cop must have reason to believe Northrup was posing a danger to lawfully disarm him...

Werz

In one sense, this case is just following on dicta mentioned in an earlier case: Florida vs JL.

JL was a minor, thus only his initials. Somebody reported him as having a gun under his shirt at a bus stop. The case was actually about the reliability of an anonymous tip.

But, in the dicta, the court recounted the government's argument that guns should have a special exception to the Fourth Amendment. And, then the court expressly declined to adopt the government's recommendation to carve out a special Fourth Amendment exception for guns.
That brings up another area where over-interpretation should be avoided. Firearm carry which does not require licensure is presumptively lawful, and it does not constitute grounds for detention and/or questioning. Firearm carry which requires licensure is presumptively unlawful until the person carrying the firearm establishes possession of a license or permit. In Ohio, open carry does not require licensure; concealed carry does. Therefore, in Ohio, if a police officer acquires knowledge that a person is carrying a concealed firearm, he can still detain that person to determine licensure.

This is a good decision, but I want to people to understand that there are still circumstances to which it may not apply.

Dave Workman

That brings up another area where over-interpretation should be avoided. Firearm carry which does not require licensure is presumptively lawful, and it does not constitute grounds for detention and/or questioning. Firearm carry which requires licensure is presumptively unlawful until the person carrying the firearm establishes possession of a license or permit. In Ohio, open carry does not require licensure; concealed carry does. Therefore, in Ohio, if a police officer acquires knowledge that a person is carrying a concealed firearm, he can still detain that person to determine licensure.

This is a good decision, but I want to people to understand that there are still circumstances to which it may not apply.

Wisely noted. This ruling gave me grist for my Thursday Examiner column. It's a victory, for sure, but your observations are "cautiously proper." ;)

Federal appeals court hands victory to open carry, Fourth Amendment

The U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday handed down a significant victory for open carry advocates and the Fourth Amendment in a ruling that may give gun prohibitionists heartburn, but also should not be seen as a signal for open carriers to engage in deliberately provocative behavior for the benefit of video social media.

http://www.examiner.com/article/federal-appeals-court-hands-victory-to-open-carry-fourth-amendment

Repeater

Will we finally have a case that addresses the 'armed and presently dangerous' requirement of Terry?

For so long cops have disarmed simply because someone is carrying, the justice here specifically mentions that a cop must have reason to believe Northrup was posing a danger to lawfully disarm him...

The key word is the adverb presently, found in Terry.

Repeater

Remember United States v. Black

Wisely noted. This ruling gave me grist for my Thursday Examiner column. It's a victory, for sure, but your observations are "cautiously proper." ;)

Federal appeals court hands victory to open carry, Fourth Amendment

The U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday handed down a significant victory for open carry advocates and the Fourth Amendment in a ruling that may give gun prohibitionists heartburn, but also should not be seen as a signal for open carriers to engage in deliberately provocative behavior for the benefit of video social media.

http://www.examiner.com/article/federal-appeals-court-hands-victory-to-open-carry-fourth-amendment

I would remind you that United States v. Black, 707 F.3d 531, 540 (4th Cir. 2013) set an important precedent, and it was cited in the Toledo case.

More and more, it it the Fourth Amendment that has come to the rescue. Bear that in mind.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Objection would not be the best tactic; it might prompt the officer to articulate the nature of the movement. It would be safer to let it pass and argue the conclusory nature of the statement.

I'll take your word for it. I know nothing about trial tactics (except Perry Mason and Matlock :))

press1280

I would remind you that United States v. Black, 707 F.3d 531, 540 (4th Cir. 2013) set an important precedent, and it was cited in the Toledo case.

More and more, it it the Fourth Amendment that has come to the rescue. Bear that in mind.

While a good decision, we have to remember the court is only acknowledging OH's law. Case in point, the 4th Circuit decided US v. Black then promptly turns around and hands down Woollard, which says public carry can be restricted to those who satisfy a "special need".

Repeater

While a good decision, we have to remember the court is only acknowledging OH's law. Case in point, the 4th Circuit decided US v. Black then promptly turns around and hands down Woollard, which says public carry can be restricted to those who satisfy a "special need".

I see you're from the land of 'Constitutional Carry' -- Would you all care to be annexed by Virginia?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I see you're from the land of 'Constitutional Carry' -- Would you all care to be annexed by Virginia?

I'd rather be annexed by them. That way they could draw lines* around certain places and leave them to the diminished Commonwealth.

stay safe.

* - The Ni River being one of the natural boundaries to seriously consider.:D

twoskinsonemanns

Very surprising to me. I would expect the judge to acknowledge the illegality of the detention but am very surprised the judge didn't let the worm off the hook with qualified immunity.

Aknazer

I disagree. To drive a vehicle on public roads one needs a license as well, but that doesn't give cops the ability to pull you over and check to see if you have a driver's license without some other offense being committed. Why should they be able to stop you and check for a weapon's permit when no other issue/crime has been committed?