• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KY Governor's race. Who is most pro-gun?

Sir Diealotz

The latest numbers (However true/false they may be) showed a virtual 3 way tie between the three republican primary candidates.

Bevin seems the most pro gun IMO.

DrakeZ07

Perhaps the question should, in all honesty, be more along the lines of; "Which candidate is willing to make-true on his/her campaign lies and false promises?"

Honestly, elections are a crap-shoot, and ALL candidates are liars, and cheats, and they WILL say, and do anything, to score an extra vote.

I remember when Gov. Bashear was running for gov, he told a group of LGBT funders, that he'd support any measure to bring SS Marriages to Kentucky, what does he do when a case is brought to federal courts? defend the GM ban. And don't tell me that it's just a democrat thing, cuz dishonesty is a trait that runs strong among-st both sides of the aisle.

How about we just get rid of the executive spot, and let the General Assembly, and Legislative branches do all the work that the Gov would do. Who needs a figurehead in a state anyway, all the Governor does is say some pretty things, do some pretty things, and recommend some pretty things. It's not an important, or needed job that can't be done by a majority vote by the general assemblies.

DrakeZ07

Yes, politicians will lie! Sometimes they keep their word, when it benefits them. Gov. Beshear and Jack Conway both swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the US and the KY constitution. The ban on gay marriage is part of the Ky. constitution. The Gov. and the AG were required by that oath (and by law) to defend the constitution(no matter how effectively or vigorously). They were required to do it no matter whether the subject matter is popular or unpopular at the moment or what they personally thought about it. Whatever either of these men did was going to be unpopular with a large group of people. One of them acted as required by his oath and the other did not. Did it not occur to you that when Steve Beshear made his promise to you that it would require him to lie when he took the oath of office? You decide to vote for such a man, because he promised to give you what you want? Were you so glad to have such a great promise that you just ignored this lack of character? Did it occur to you that such a person would lie to you, too?

If a politician claims that he will fix things by acting outside the constitution and refusing to obey the law, and you believe them, you might ask yourself what other laws he intends to break or ignore and what other promises he may have made to other groups. I don't agree with Steve Beshear very often, but in this case he did what his oath demanded and he did it so poorly (which how he does most things) that we will probably end up with the best outcome. On the other hand, Jack Conway ignored his oath of office and refused to act(which he does very well and does often) so he can continue to claim to be on both sides of the issue.

Which is the more ethical position? Hell, I don't know. Both of these men are slimballs to me. The bottom line is, if a politician offers to do something for you that violates the law, don't think you have a friend there. He's just an opportunist that will turn on you just as fast, when the political wind shifts. Obama and Hilary were great supporters of the Defense of Marrage Act until they saw a political opportunity to changing their positions.

True, except for the anti-gay amendment being unconstitutional, and you can't ratify someone's pre-existing rights away at the whim of someone's personal beliefs, but thats neither here nor there. My point originally was that no matter how pro-gun a candidate is, or says they are, and no matter what their voting record says or shows about them, there's nothing that garuntees they will hold-true to such a past, or words, once they get a fatter pay check, and a comfier chair to sit in. I tend to view a candidate, not on their political party, but on the basis of something called picking the shiniest of two turds. Because until we get rid of the two sides of the same coin parties that run our state, and fed/gov, that's all we have to pick. The Republican candidates may act like they don't care that someone OCs around them, and talk the talk about gun rights, and carrying freedoms, but I garuntee you,a nd anyone else, that if they was given a choice between a fat check to their re-election fund in exchange for banning guns, or not banning guns and having to run a re-election campaign on their own dime, they'd be working HARD to take our guns away. The only difference between them, and the anti-gun democrats, is at least the latter will tell you they'll try to ban guns, whereas the former will say are all for guns, but when they have a chance to fatten their wallets at the expense of our freedoms, they'll pull a Dubya everytime with no warning.

Midwest

Just a followup. Well I voted a little after 4 PM, the place was empty. Then two people came in as I was leaving. If you haven't voted please do, the polls are open till 6 PM.

HPmatt

I heard Bevin won - over on Redstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwest

For those who think that voting is a waste of time and one vote doesn't make a difference. Wrong! It made a difference yesterday! I try to always vote in every election no matter how small or "unimportant".

http://www.richmondregister.com/new...cle_70dbc3fe-fea7-11e4-a0f9-034fc088a3df.html

"FRANKFORT — In one of the most exciting and tightest statewide elections in history, Republican Matt Bevin apparently scored a razor-thin, 83-vote win over James Comer in the race for the GOP nomination for governor"

83 VOTES

Sir Diealotz

Close Race! I saw that Bevin had a 4% lead over Heiner with something like 63% of the votes counted and then before long it was tied at 33% each for Bevin and Comer. I then paid closer attention to the TV and Comer actually took the lead by 100 votes +/-? Then Bevin is 83 votes up with 99% and then the same at 100%.

We may not know the actual winner for some time however Bevin looks like the winner IMO. Glad the Rino didn't win...

HPmatt

I understand the 'recanvass' is to verify the vote totals submitted to the KY Secy of State. Not an actual count of the ballots. Would expect that to be a quicker process than Al Gore in Florida....

Midwest

Comer concedes to Bevin

http://www.wlky.com/news/comer-concedes-gubernatorial-race-to-bevin/33283462

"FRANKFORT, Ky. —The stage is now set for the Kentucky governor's race in November.
Related

James Comer conceded to Matt Bevin following a recanvass.

Bevin said he didn't blame Comer for asking for a recanvass, but said he wants the focus to be on November and getting a Republican elected as governor of Kentucky."

HPmatt

Hope Bevin is elected and he can replace the sell-out McConnell next time around, assuming the US is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk