• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon concealed carry license reciprocity

oldbanger

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
NV's is a significant training requirement, so maybe I'll finally have one for Oregon for my semiannual visits. Open carry is legal, but I didn't find it to be nearly as common as in Nevada, and especially with the places that were off limits, which is something we mostly don't have here.

randian

Looks good but in practice will be used to deny reciprocity to nearly everybody, much like Nevada does, only worse since Oregon just passed a major anti-gun law. That's assuming this passes, which I would say is about zero given how bold the liberals in the Oregon legislature are being lately regarding guns.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
We recognize 14 states' permits.
Denying 70% could be argued to fall under denying to almost everybody.

Reciprocity gets messy though. Increase freedom in your state and find you lost some freedom to carry elsewhere. MO lowered the CCW age to 19 and lost reciprocity with VA for example. It took a long time for MO to get reciprocity in WY as well due to MO not being as strict about prior misdemeanor disqualifications.

IF this passes, I don't know of any way to predict how reciprocity will actual implement. I've been surprised over the years at some of the state decisions in the mater. I think it is just a wait and see matter.

77zach

Fl has lost NV and WA. NV because Fl licenses are good for 7 years vs NV's 5. WA because Fl issues permits to certain 18 year olds but WA does not.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Good new! Too bad they have a training requirement.

And this is from Oregons website.

Requirement #11
Demonstrate competence with a handgun by any one of the following means:

Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course.

So, a simple DD214 should suffice. This is NOT a requirement in Washington State.