• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving To Montana, Got a Few Questions

mquinn

What up OC? today is Day 1 for me on this forum and so far I am super impressed, with the montana threads at least.

That being said, I am moving from Dallas Tx to Kalispell Mt in 2 weeks. Through the grapevine i thought i had a pretty good understanding of what to expect in MT regarding gun laws. as a born and raised Texan I filled out the app for my CHL the day i turned 21 and have carried ever since. ive worked as a LEO, in contract security as well and I have always been under the impression that Texas was the front runner when it came to gun law. Little did i know.

I called a sherrifs Dept yesterday and and I WAS NOT IMPRESSED!! when the deputy answered i told her of my move and requested that she clarify some reciprocity concerns....long pause...

Sherrif- "um ok how can i help you?"

me - "well maam(yes, in texas we still say maam) i have a Texas CHL and itll expire in 3 months but montana has a 6 month new resident waiting period. if i understand correctly?

Sherrif - "ooook??"

me - "well im not sure i completely understand your open carry laws, when my CHL expires should i open carry? not Carry? keep concealed and dont get caugt? i have no interest in getting body slammed by a sherrif because i didnt understand your laws."

Sheriff - "Sir im not sure im the one you should be talking to about this hold please....

ring ring ring...you get the picture.

Sheriff #2 - yes sir how can i help you.

me - "well im not sure i completely understand you open carry laws, when my CHL expires should i open carry?.....

Sheriff #2 - sir im gonna stop you there im not at liberty to give you legal advise you need to talk to a deputy

me - 8-0

ring ring

Sherrif #3 - "Sherrif Department"

me "yes im trying to get some info on open carry laws in montana ...and please dont tranfer me. what do i need to do to be 100% legal about this?

Sherrif #3 - sir you need to speak to our CHL officer. hold please :

tranfered back to sherrif 2 [:banghead:

oooook so WTF? ive never lived in an open carry state. i try to do the right thing and i find out that the LEO dont even understand what their enforcing. then i found this

http://http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?120609-Montana-s-Right-to-Keep-and-Bear-Arms-Week-CELEBRATE&highlight=reasons+Montana

and now i CANT WAIT to count myself among your ranks. I am proud to be a Texan but ill be a proud Montanan too.....just maybe not perusing LEO jobs lol. all that being said this is all new to me. so im open to recommendations.

thanks yall!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
What up OC? today is Day 1 for me on this forum and so far I am super impressed, with the montana threads at least.

That being said, I am moving from Dallas Tx to Kalispell Mt in 2 weeks. Through the grapevine i thought i had a pretty good understanding of what to expect in MT regarding gun laws. as a born and raised Texan I filled out the app for my CHL the day i turned 21 and have carried ever since. ive worked as a LEO, in contract security as well and I have always been under the impression that Texas was the front runner when it came to gun law. Little did i know.

[...]

oooook so WTF? ive never lived in an open carry state. i try to do the right thing and i find out that the LEO dont even understand what their enforcing. then i found this

http://http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?120609-Montana-s-Right-to-Keep-and-Bear-Arms-Week-CELEBRATE&highlight=reasons+Montana

and now i CANT WAIT to count myself among your ranks. I am proud to be a Texan but ill be a proud Montanan too.....just maybe not perusing LEO jobs lol. all that being said this is all new to me. so im open to recommendations.

thanks yall!

Hello mquinn, first of all welcome to the forum and secondly welcome on your move to Montana.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend you review the Montana Gun Laws sticky thread which covers a lot of information in summary format, you can find that thread here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?129324-Montana-Gun-Laws.

If your more of a legal type and want to review the MCA's yourself you can view them here: http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca_toc/45_8_3.htm

Additionally for conceal carry information you can find that at this link: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/montana.pdf

To help answer your question. TX permits ARE recognized by MT. You indicate that your TX permit will expire before your 6 month residency requirement is met, in this case you will have to be a little more careful. After your TX permit expires, you will either have to Open Carry, Conceal Carry (outside of city limits only, 98% of MT is outside of a city boundary) or off body carry. In MT, concealed is defined as concealed under wearing apparel so if you have a phay pack, purse, backpack, glove box, center console, etc you can carry concealed in those locations and not be subject to conceal carry laws.

Once your 6 month residency is complete, then you can submit your application for a CWP at your local sheriff's office. Your existing TX Permit should satisfy the training requirements required in MT and you should not be required to take any other training classes. Just for reference, some sheriff's offices consider your residency requirement complete once you have a MT drivers license, this is not the law but you may be able to try and obtain it early. Talk to your sheriff's office to see what they say.

I hope you have a warm welcome to the state and you enjoy your new place. Kalispell is a nice place to live, I am on the other end of Flathead Lake in the Mission Valley, maybe i'll see you around.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask.

MontanaCZ

Be very aware of where you can and cannot CC in Montana.

Too bad it is so soon. I would have suggested that you get a Utah permit, then you are covered. Or, renew your TX one before you move here. Another option, once you get here, is to run over to Spokane and get a WA one (cheap and easy). Not sure what it is currently, but used to take about a week.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Be very aware of where you can and cannot CC in Montana.

Too bad it is so soon. I would have suggested that you get a Utah permit, then you are covered. Or, renew your TX one before you move here. Another option, once you get here, is to run over to Spokane and get a WA one (cheap and easy). Not sure what it is currently, but used to take about a week.

I didn't think of that option. Going to WA and getting an out of state permit would be a great option. I currently have a WA permit which does give a few more states that you can carry in when paired with MT.

Augustin

I am moving from Dallas Tx to Kalispell Mt in 2 weeks.

Montana is full. NO VACANCY. The last thing we need is for more Texans and Californians to move here and screw things up (especially one so stupid as to call the Sheriff's office for legal advice). Please stay home.

We have a "No Outsider" attitude. I know this sounds archaic. It's just the way Montana is, and always will be. Outsiders always stand out no matter how long they may have lived in Montana. We can spot them a mile away. We know who they are because they don't have the Montanian mind set or mannerisms, no matter how much they try, like those who have grown up in the state.

But if you do decide to invade our great state, be sure to support the Montana Shooting Sports Association by sending them $100/year. (You don't have to join to send them a donation.) Many brave Montanians have worked tirelessly for decades to save our beautiful Second Amendment. They have put their "lives, fortunes, and sacred honor" on the line to not only get all the pro-gun laws on the books, but also to stop many anti-gun bills from being enacted into law.

As we celebrate the continuation of the most remarkable social experiment in history, let us not forget the noble cause that not only our founding fathers were willing to die for, but also those great freedom fighters like Mr. Gary Marbut and others associated with MTSSA.

“We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

Today, I wonder how many people can recite these words, much less provide their origin.

When John Hancock placed his signature upon the Declaration of Independence, he was joined by Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and 52 other citizens of the colonies who were willing to sacrifice everything for their cause:

“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”

How many of us would be willing to make such a pledge today?

Would you, Sir, this day pledge your life and be willing to die for the preservation of our Second Amendment and our other freedoms?

Would you?

I doubt it.

So open your wallet and cough up a mere $100/year to financially support those who have taken the pledge. (I'm not a member of MTSSA and I do not represent them in any way. I do, however, donate annually as a non-member.)

http://www.mtssa.org/

AUGustin

HPmatt

Ted Turner from there? Sure crowded out a lot of 'Montanans', let alone the Sioux and Shoshone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix David

...snip..“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”

How many of us would be willing to make such a pledge today?

Would you, Sir, this day pledge your life and be willing to die for the preservation of our Second Amendment and our other freedoms?

Would you?

I doubt it.

So open your wallet and cough up a mere $100/year to financially support those who have taken the pledge. (I'm not a member of MTSSA and I do not represent them in any way. I do, however, donate annually as a non-member.)

http://www.mtssa.org/

AUGustin

WOW, the arrogance in your post is astounding. It's people like you that give gun owners the bad rep.

Please feel free to post you DD214 here so we can see what you have done other then send in $100 now and again.

HPmatt

Was talking to a friend today - fellow Texan - who bought a business in Missoula - has doubled its business in last year, hired some Montanans - money from Texas, jobs for locals. I'm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianbonner

Moving to Montana

I have lived all over the country without causing the locals problems. My rule is shut up and listen and dont bring your citified ways with you. Learn from the locals.

that said I gave up my concealed carry after moving here, I could not see signing away my unalienable rights in a State that allows open carry almost everywhere and concealed carry out side city limits and while doing outdoor stuff in bad weather to protect the gun. I have had zero problems in butte carrying open.

you are not a fool to call the sheriffs office, but speak to the sheriff not the dispatcher etc. the sheriff sets the tone and here in silver bow he has no problems with me open carrying a fire arm. You need to get this opinion so as to know what if any hassle u r going to run into or maybe you need to educate the Sheriff on the gun laws. But you need to look at the laws prior to talking to the Sheriff

utbagpiper

Banned
Please feel free to post you DD214 here so we can see what you have done other then send in $100 now and again.

I have the utmost respect for those who choose to serve in the armed forces. But it is hardly the only way to serve in this nation. Indeed, military service, of itself, while essential to protecting from foreign enemies, does almost nothing to protect our RKBA from bad legislation. The teacher, fireman, EMT, or even regular white or blue collar worker who does his job and pays his taxes honestly is no less valuable to this nation than is the soldier or sailor.

It probably takes 10 to 20 private citizens, working at average paying jobs, to generate the wealth and pay the taxes necessary to fund just the wages and benefits of one service-member. Probably upwards of half a million such citizens working for a year to pay for a single aircraft carrier.

The United States is able to have the military it has ONLY because of our vast private sector. It was our huge manufacturing output that enabled our armed forces to win WWII. It was our economy, primarily, that ultimately brought down the USSR and won the cold war.

While Augustin's anti-social sentiment was overt, I'm afraid your narrow mindedness as to what constitutes service to our nation is no less troubling simply because it was implicit.

Augustin's sentiment was not kindly expressed. But let's be honest about how many people do move someplace because they love it, and in short order start trying to turn it into the place they left. Rural, low-population areas are especially susceptible to having their culture and lifestyle quickly and irrevocably altered beyond all recognition by newcomers who are not appropriately sensitive to existing customs or mores.

Charles

Last edited:

F350

Not a Montanian, but living in Wyoming the best advice I could give a Texan moving there is...

Buy multiple weights of long johns and layer up, you be in for a shock son :lol: Ever hear of a "Ground Blizzard"?

utbagpiper

Banned
So those who usually rail against the evils committed by our armed forces suddenly find reason to support them based on my suggestion that serving in the military is not the only way to serve the nation? ROTFLMAO

Some of you guys are pathetic. You're starting to remind me of the short sighted newspaper publisher engaged in a ratings and circulation war with his cross town rival. One day he announced, "Starting tomorrow, whatever our rival is for, we are against, and whatever is against, we are for."

Upon learning this his rival announced, "Let's see how he and his readers respond when we announce tomorrow that we are in favor of literacy and opposed to polio."

Come on. Grow up and stop worrying about personality conflicts.

Charles

sudden valley gunner

images

utbagpiper

Banned
do you any type of cite(s)

Apologies to the forum, but since I can't much make heads nor tails of your post, I cannot provide citations.

Neither do I feel obliged to provide citations to those with whom I do not intend to carry on a conversation. It seems that several weeks of politely ignoring you, and a couple of overt posts that I don't intend to engage you have not stemmed your need to poke.

So I shall instead make a point to simply point out that I don't intend to engage with you until your mode of communication improves.

Charles

solus

So those who usually rail against the evils committed by our armed forces suddenly find reason to support them based on my suggestion that serving in the military is not the only way to serve the nation? ROTFLMAO

Some of you guys are pathetic. You're starting to remind me of the short sighted newspaper publisher engaged in a ratings and circulation war with his cross town rival. One day he announced, "Starting tomorrow, whatever our rival is for, we are against, and whatever is against, we are for."

Upon learning this his rival announced, "Let's see how he and his readers respond when we announce tomorrow that we are in favor of literacy and opposed to polio."

Come on. Grow up and stop worrying about personality conflicts.

Charles

rallying against the evils of... say what?

sorry piper, no where has this semi-illiterate member ever made any derogatory comments about or towards any of this country's armed forces nor minimized any sacrifices these men and women & their spouses have made for their service to our nation. my post regarding putting those teachers, firefighers, ad nauseam, whom you feel are significant contributors to our nation's freedom... remember i do not see a teacher following the thought 'all gave some, some gave all' concept!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydWhRObVxrM

i shall presume you are referring to the ambiguous 'SOME' and not directing the remaining arbitrary bovine & completely out of context rant to all forum members?

ipse

solus

Apologies to the forum, but since I can't much make heads nor tails of your post, I cannot provide citations.

Neither do I feel obliged to provide citations to those with whom I do not intend to carry on a conversation. It seems that several weeks of politely ignoring you, and a couple of overt posts that I don't intend to engage you have not stemmed your need to poke.

So I shall instead make a point to simply point out that I don't intend to engage with you until your mode of communication improves.

Charles

daddy was right...pure and simple, never lower yourself to their level...and i shan't!!

ipse