• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan cpl college carry

emoo_321

Can anyone clarify if it is legal to leave my gun in my car while I'm at my college campus?

packeagle

If you have a cpl you can carry on campus, jut not in dorms and classrooms. Your vehicle should never be in a dorm or in a classroom, so I'd say you are good legally. If you are a student you can face academic sanctions for violating a rule, but I doubt it will ever get to that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you have a cpl you can carry on campus, jut not in dorms and classrooms. Your vehicle should never be in a dorm or in a classroom, so I'd say you are good legally. If you are a student you can face academic sanctions for violating a rule, but I doubt it will ever get to that.

Carry on campus w/permit - cite please.

The last phrase is a very expensive gambit as if kicked out of school for rules violation(s), it will be next to impossible to get accepted by another reputable school.

OC4me

Just keep in mind that there are two (2) obstacles to overcome.

First, what does state law say about carrying on campus (i.e. pistol-free zones, etc.) and in a vehicle (i.e. concealed carry). [violation may be a criminal matter].

Second, regardless of state law, what is the school weapon's policy [punishment for violation is probably limited to academic sanctions and/or expulsion].

Last edited:

Hevymetal

Might I also inject it all depends on what campus you are on as well. Micro nations with the ability to generate laws of their own (U of M for example) might be a bigger problem then say the local community college.

Your mileage may vary. I personally would think with the CPL required to transport in a car in the first place, locking up your gun in a hidden gun safe prior to entering campus property would exempt you from any legal problems on most campuses (correct me if I am wrong, U of M), BUT you really need to check the student handbooks and university polices to be sure they aren't gonna boot you because they can.

apjonas

Everybody is Wrong

If for no other reason than the college hasn't been identified and the rules are not uniform. Assuming emoo-321 is legit, then he needs to contact a local attorney. If he follows the advice being given here, expulsion will be the least of his worries.