Thread: Federal Appeals Court to Police Officer: No, You Can't Slap Cuffs on Peaceful Gun Own

Federal Appeals Court to Police Officer: No, You Can't Slap Cuffs on Peaceful Gun Own

Has the 7th CCA Weighed in on this Issue?

Having the 6th rule this way is useful but in a limited way.

More important point - while openly carrying, do not get into or allow your companions to get into an argument with an officious but ignorant citizen. Also, if you are not alone and desire to record the transaction, allow another person to do so. Keep your hands empty, motionless and in view. Establish early and often whether or you are being detained. Ask in different ways. Remember that more than one LEO has said something like "No you are not being detained but you are not free to leave."
    Last edited by apjonas; 05-15-2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional

hey MOD, I think this should be moved to a more general forum since it has more to do with all of us then just WI and OH
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Wow, the Huff printed that article, could they be changing their stripes...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Wow, the Huff printed that article, could they be changing their stripes...
    The coloration of one spot doesn't alter the stripes - depends on what one focuses.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I have found out of watching them over many years the old dominate liberal media throws a bone out once in a while just to show, see we are not all bad. We run pro gun stuff.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 05-16-2015 at 07:14 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    hey MOD, I think this should be moved to a more general forum since it has more to do with all of us then just WI and OH
    Ohio specific.

Thumbs up

A thorough, factually-correct, and unbiased article about OC...in HuffPo? Surely, the end of days must be near.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    A thorough, factually-correct, and unbiased article about OC...in HuffPo? Surely, the end of days must be near.
    I'm shocked, but actually this is the second pro gun article in the Huff. I will have to dig for the other, they put up a article suggesting why blacks should open carry.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

6th Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Ohio specific.
    Covers Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Tennessee. WI is in the 7th Circuit. Huff Po probably views this as an strike against the fascist police since for gun owner you can substitute a line of liberal poster boys and girls.

Why not have a forum section for decisions by the various circuits? Something like Stories from the States>>6th Circuit (KY, MI, OH, TN)>>Judge Sutton rules Open Carry......(Northrup)

Hooray for this ruling! I have met many cops in MI that will be butt hurt over it (momentarily) However, bad cops will still find a way to be bad cops, it's just in their natures
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

The opinion. http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions...5a0092p-06.pdf
    A passing motorcyclist stopped to complain about Shawn’s [Northrup] visible firearm. The stranger, Alan Rose, yelled, “[Y]ou can’t walk around with a gun like that!” But “[O]pen carry is legal in Ohio!” Denise responded. As the Northrups walked away, Denise and Rose exchanged increasingly unprintable words until he was out of view (and earshot). Rose called 911, reporting that “a guy walking down the street” with his dog was “carrying a gun out in the open.” When asked what type of gun the guy was carrying, Rose replied, “A handgun, and he’s telling me it’s legal to carry out in the open.” That’s right, the dispatcher responded, it’s legal “[i]f you have a CCW”—a concealed-carry weapon permit. “I’ll get a crew out though.” The legality of Northrup’s behavior threw Rose for a loop, prompting him to add: “I’m not going to call a crew out if it’s legal to carry a gun out in the open.”

Despite Rose’s change of heart, the dispatcher sent an officer to the scene anyway. “I’m not an officer,” she worried. ...
    It appears that the actions of Bright are the norm in that LEA. It will be very satisfying if criminal charges are brought against that criminal...Bright.

Off the top of my head at least one Class A misdemeanor and possibly a felony were committed by Bright if this occurred in MO. He being charged with criminal violations is a different question. Mr. Northrup needs to file criminal charges, as many as he can pile on...goose - gander.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare