• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Appeals Court to Police Officer: No, You Can't Slap Cuffs on Peaceful Gun Own

apjonas

Has the 7th CCA Weighed in on this Issue?

Having the 6th rule this way is useful but in a limited way.

More important point - while openly carrying, do not get into or allow your companions to get into an argument with an officious but ignorant citizen. Also, if you are not alone and desire to record the transaction, allow another person to do so. Keep your hands empty, motionless and in view. Establish early and often whether or you are being detained. Ask in different ways. Remember that more than one LEO has said something like "No you are not being detained but you are not free to leave."

Last edited:

papa bear

hey MOD, I think this should be moved to a more general forum since it has more to do with all of us then just WI and OH

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have found out of watching them over many years the old dominate liberal media throws a bone out once in a while just to show, see we are not all bad. We run pro gun stuff.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

A thorough, factually-correct, and unbiased article about OC...in HuffPo? Surely, the end of days must be near.

I'm shocked, but actually this is the second pro gun article in the Huff. I will have to dig for the other, they put up a article suggesting why blacks should open carry.

apjonas

6th Circuit

Ohio specific.

Covers Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Tennessee. WI is in the 7th Circuit. Huff Po probably views this as an strike against the fascist police since for gun owner you can substitute a line of liberal poster boys and girls.

Why not have a forum section for decisions by the various circuits? Something like Stories from the States>>6th Circuit (KY, MI, OH, TN)>>Judge Sutton rules Open Carry......(Northrup)

FreeInAZ

Hooray for this ruling! I have met many cops in MI that will be butt hurt over it (momentarily) However, bad cops will still find a way to be bad cops, it's just in their natures :(

OC for ME

The opinion. http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/15a0092p-06.pdf
A passing motorcyclist stopped to complain about Shawn’s [Northrup] visible firearm. The stranger, Alan Rose, yelled, “[Y]ou can’t walk around with a gun like that!” But “[O]pen carry is legal in Ohio!” Denise responded. As the Northrups walked away, Denise and Rose exchanged increasingly unprintable words until he was out of view (and earshot). Rose called 911, reporting that “a guy walking down the street” with his dog was “carrying a gun out in the open.” When asked what type of gun the guy was carrying, Rose replied, “A handgun, and he’s telling me it’s legal to carry out in the open.” That’s right, the dispatcher responded, it’s legal “f you have a CCW”—a concealed-carry weapon permit. “I’ll get a crew out though.” The legality of Northrup’s behavior threw Rose for a loop, prompting him to add: “I’m not going to call a crew out if it’s legal to carry a gun out in the open.”

Despite Rose’s change of heart, the dispatcher sent an officer to the scene anyway. “I’m not an officer,” she worried. ...
It appears that the actions of Bright are the norm in that LEA. It will be very satisfying if criminal charges are brought against that criminal...Bright.

Off the top of my head at least one Class A misdemeanor and possibly a felony were committed by Bright if this occurred in MO. He being charged with criminal violations is a different question. Mr. Northrup needs to file criminal charges, as many as he can pile on...goose - gander.