Thread: SCOTUS: Felons MAY transfer their firearms after conviction

SCOTUS: Felons MAY transfer their firearms after conviction

Interesting ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States today.

A couple of surprises: The ruling was unanimous. The author of the opinion was Kagen, who "succinctly explained, this is a pragmatic solution that accords with the statute’s text and purpose, and also has the benefit of fitting snugly with common sense." (Emphasis added by me.)

TFred

Richard M. Re, Opinion analysis: An equitable result in Henderson v. United States, SCOTUSblog (May. 18, 2015, 12:12 PM), http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/05/op...united-states/

From the article:

Plain English: When people are arrested, they often surrender their firearms to police. Once those people are convicted of felonies, they can no longer lawfully possess their weapons. In this situation, the Supreme Court unanimously concluded, the felon can ask the government to transfer his firearms to an independent third party. This includes transfers to dealers for sale on the open market, but in some circumstances can also include directed transfers to specific people.

I remember that G. Gordon Liddy was once asked how he knew so much about modern guns when, as a felon, he could not possess any. He replied that he didn't have any, but that his wife had an impressive collection!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

This is a stepping stone decision, hopefully putting a hamper on the rampant confiscation by police for any reason.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This is a stepping stone decision, hopefully putting a hamper on the rampant confiscation by police for any reason.
    Interesting day because Obama also cut supply OD military equipment to police.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Interesting day because Obama also cut supply OD military equipment to police.
    You can bet that doesn't include his DHS thug Storm Troopers. Those incompetent Keystone Cop clowns will just horde all the left-overs.

Bank on it.

State Researcher

RKBA or property rights?

Not sure this is much of win for RKBA, though perhaps a small step in the right direction.

I do view it as an important win for property rights.

Wouldn't this thread make more sense under News and Political Alerts rather than under a single State?

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

As an incremental move in the correct direction, I'll take it.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."