Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L and N building

L and N building

So I was told today by Murray security that I was not allowed to go to the second floor of the L and N building while OCing unless I had a ccdw. I was told by Orlando the guard working the desk that I could leave my sidearm with him while I went to where I was going, like hell I'm gonna surrender my gun to some security guard. Has anyone else had any problems with going to the L and N building.

Was curious and looked it up, the building that is, the Louisville & Nashville building was once a railroad office for the L&N Company, now used by the Ky. Dept. of Health and Family services, which falls under it build state-owned, instead of city/county owned. Someone should be along shortly to give you internet advice, but I suggest you talk to a Lawyer who is versed in state laws, or talk to the staff of your gun-friendly legislator, or call up the AG.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

I do plan on talking to an attorney about it. I even went so far as to call the state police post to ask about OCing there before I went and was told I could, he questioned why I wanted to, LEOs LoL. I do have a nice video of me going back in talking to a supervisor I will try to load.

Security guards are usually not trained in the intracasies of the law. Instead, they respond to post orders - which are often written by those who are not trained in the intracasies of the law.

Information needed before a meaningful response can be given:
    - is there any other agency or organization housed in the L&N Building?
    - if so, are they also state agencies, municipal agencies, or private enterprise?
    - (just for grins & giggles) does Murray Security have a valid FFL and record your firearm in and out of their bound book? (Think about it for a second - transferring handguns.) If they are not operating as an FFL do they provide a receipt that spells out the limits of liability for storage of your firearm, and are they properly licensed to be in the storage business?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Well not to give to much away as I have decided not to post the video just yet. Some of those questions were answered in the video.
    Last edited by zeppy627; 05-19-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Anyone suggest a good 2A lawyer in Louisville?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy627 View Post
    Anyone suggest a good 2A lawyer in Louisville?
    Try getting ahold of KC3, they are the Kentucky concealed carry coalition, and have good gun lawyer resources.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

According to Wiki...

In 1984, the state of Kentucky spent $15 million to purchase and renovate the property, retaining the L&N name and neon lights on its upper stories.[6]

The building is currently the Louisville offices for the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family

They did not give a reason for not letting my gun upstairs.
    I spoke to a supervisor named Orlando, he was the "captain" there that day.
    There are no signs that I could see.
    It is not claimed to be health care, in fact the closest thing to health care there is the WIC office and I spoke to them today and they have not problem with carrying.
    I was never asked to leave or surrender my gun on the first floor.
    The "sergeant" I spoke with told me that it was a private building and he was the law in that building. I got that part on tape.

Oh and there is a directory after you get past that first room you were in. I'm going back tomorrow around 3 to find out who all is in the building. I also spoke to the HR manager Kelly Chism at murray guard he is really interested in the video of his guard. But says he will have to look into the policy there because he does not know.

I am going to try to find someone in charge other then security, problem is there are alot of different offices there that rent space in the building. The only thing I can think is one of those companies do not allow guns, but the Orlando said if I had a ccdw I could OC to the second floor, I don't understand the logic in that at all. If you're going somewhere else you just tell them and you don't have to do the clip board and wait, they just give you a sticker and you go out the other door past the security desk where they will keep you firearm "safe" and onto the elevator.
    Last edited by zeppy627; 05-20-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Tell them you need to go to the wic office. I don't know if there is a guard or not. I'm going in unarmed tomorrow and will have more answers.

Ok so I couldn't get the video to post here but it is on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/2wBxelckaHU

Ok so I couldn't get the video to post here but it is on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/2wBxelckaHU
    Soooo don't leave us hanging. Was that the answer? The gun restriction was instituted by a security guard supervisor on state property?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

I will find out more today.

I will find out more today.
    +1 Awesome that you are staying on this!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    +1 Awesome that you are staying on this!
    Absolutely! Maybe zeppy627 will become gutshot's co-activist!
    Last edited by BB62; 05-21-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Ok so I spoke to Mike Hastings a state employee who manages in the building, he told me that you can not carry in any state building says there is a KSR that says so I will try to find something on it. I've never been real great at finding laws but I'll keep everyone updated on what I find.

Oh and the l and n building houses an office for children services so that maybe a reason for not being able to carry. Oh and now they are saying you can not carry at all.....

Ok so I spoke to Mike Hastings a state employee who manages in the building, he told me that you can not carry in any state building says there is a KSR that says so I will try to find something on it...
    I don't know KY law like gutshot does, but I know that's baloney. (or bologna if you prefer)
    Last edited by BB62; 05-21-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Yep not sure how I'm going to go about finding a law that does not exist.

Yep not sure how I'm going to go about finding a law that does not exist.
    Why should you have to find it? Let Mr. Hastings back up his assertion.

The problem there is I can't afford to get arrested right now and if the call the police in all their ignorance they would hall me off.

Well tomorrow will consist of a few phone calls thank you very much. And I live in the downtown area, smoketown so I'm not sure who my rep. Is but ill be finding out. I assume she is anti-gun. I post when I learn more.

The problem there is I can't afford to get arrested right now and if the call the police in all their ignorance they would hall me off.
    Asking him to back up his assertion (which he won't be able to do) carries no risk of arrest. Failing that, you just keep pushing and pushing, ever higher in his chain of command (copying in him of course), going up to the Attorney General if necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast