• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

L and N building

zeppy627

So I was told today by Murray security that I was not allowed to go to the second floor of the L and N building while OCing unless I had a ccdw. I was told by Orlando the guard working the desk that I could leave my sidearm with him while I went to where I was going, like hell I'm gonna surrender my gun to some security guard. Has anyone else had any problems with going to the L and N building.

DrakeZ07

Was curious and looked it up, the building that is, the Louisville & Nashville building was once a railroad office for the L&N Company, now used by the Ky. Dept. of Health and Family services, which falls under it build state-owned, instead of city/county owned. Someone should be along shortly to give you internet advice, but I suggest you talk to a Lawyer who is versed in state laws, or talk to the staff of your gun-friendly legislator, or call up the AG.

zeppy627

I do plan on talking to an attorney about it. I even went so far as to call the state police post to ask about OCing there before I went and was told I could, he questioned why I wanted to, LEOs LoL. I do have a nice video of me going back in talking to a supervisor I will try to load.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Security guards are usually not trained in the intracasies of the law. Instead, they respond to post orders - which are often written by those who are not trained in the intracasies of the law.

Information needed before a meaningful response can be given:
- is there any other agency or organization housed in the L&N Building?
- if so, are they also state agencies, municipal agencies, or private enterprise?
- (just for grins & giggles) does Murray Security have a valid FFL and record your firearm in and out of their bound book? (Think about it for a second - transferring handguns.) If they are not operating as an FFL do they provide a receipt that spells out the limits of liability for storage of your firearm, and are they properly licensed to be in the storage business?

stay safe.

zeppy627

Well not to give to much away as I have decided not to post the video just yet. Some of those questions were answered in the video.

Last edited:

flb_78

According to Wiki...

In 1984, the state of Kentucky spent $15 million to purchase and renovate the property, retaining the L&N name and neon lights on its upper stories.[6]

The building is currently the Louisville offices for the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family

zeppy627

They did not give a reason for not letting my gun upstairs.
I spoke to a supervisor named Orlando, he was the "captain" there that day.
There are no signs that I could see.
It is not claimed to be health care, in fact the closest thing to health care there is the WIC office and I spoke to them today and they have not problem with carrying.
I was never asked to leave or surrender my gun on the first floor.
The "sergeant" I spoke with told me that it was a private building and he was the law in that building. I got that part on tape.

zeppy627

Oh and there is a directory after you get past that first room you were in. I'm going back tomorrow around 3 to find out who all is in the building. I also spoke to the HR manager Kelly Chism at murray guard he is really interested in the video of his guard. But says he will have to look into the policy there because he does not know.

zeppy627

I am going to try to find someone in charge other then security, problem is there are alot of different offices there that rent space in the building. The only thing I can think is one of those companies do not allow guns, but the Orlando said if I had a ccdw I could OC to the second floor, I don't understand the logic in that at all. If you're going somewhere else you just tell them and you don't have to do the clip board and wait, they just give you a sticker and you go out the other door past the security desk where they will keep you firearm "safe" and onto the elevator.

Last edited:

zeppy627

Tell them you need to go to the wic office. I don't know if there is a guard or not. I'm going in unarmed tomorrow and will have more answers.

zeppy627

Ok so I spoke to Mike Hastings a state employee who manages in the building, he told me that you can not carry in any state building says there is a KSR that says so I will try to find something on it. I've never been real great at finding laws but I'll keep everyone updated on what I find.

zeppy627

Oh and the l and n building houses an office for children services so that maybe a reason for not being able to carry. Oh and now they are saying you can not carry at all.....

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Ok so I spoke to Mike Hastings a state employee who manages in the building, he told me that you can not carry in any state building says there is a KSR that says so I will try to find something on it...
I don't know KY law like gutshot does, but I know that's baloney. (or bologna if you prefer)

Last edited: