Thread: Vigilant citizen's immediate action may have saved woman's life

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Vigilant citizen's immediate action may have saved woman's life

A cop watcher who was outside of a city hall noticed an apparent assault and threat toward life take place in an adjacent vehicle and believed a woman's life to be in immediate danger. He alerted a fellow cop watcher inside the city hall via radio a communication app, who then alerted the Chief of Police in attendance of the same meeting. The police responded immediately and began searching for the vehicle in question. They found the male occupant to be intoxicated, a convicted murderer who was just recently released from prison, and in possession of a handgun.
    http://www.brettsanders.me/2015/05/t...tial-homocide/
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 05-21-2015 at 07:13 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

Glad it worked out OK. Also very happy how the article editorialized in favor of cop watchers.

But I'm still shaking my head over the decision to stop following the vehicle. It seems he had comms with his friend who could have either relayed location/direction info to the CoP or helped establish direct comms between the friend and the CoP/LEOs.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Glad it worked out OK. Also very happy how the article editorialized in favor of cop watchers.

But I'm still shaking my head over the decision to stop following the vehicle. It seems he had comms with his friend who could have either relayed location/direction info to the CoP or helped establish direct comms between the friend and the CoP/LEOs.

stay safe.
    Yeah I agree. Given the information we're presented with, I don't understand the decision to stop following the vehicle. Nevertheless, I'm thankful that the information was able to spread quickly enough that the officer in the surrounding area could get it by the time they saw the vehicle, and then make the stop.
    Advocate freedom please

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Those in "authority" often give orders to disengage, if the followers are not wearing a state issued costume.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Yeah I agree. Given the information we're presented with, I don't understand the decision to stop following the vehicle. Nevertheless, I'm thankful that the information was able to spread quickly enough that the officer in the surrounding area could get it by the time they saw the vehicle, and then make the stop.
    I've read the article at the link, watched the first video entirely, and skimmed the second video. Danged if I can find the info about a decision to stop following the vehicle. Can you point me to it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I've read the article at the link, watched the first video entirely, and skimmed the second video. Danged if I can find the info about a decision to stop following the vehicle. Can you point me to it.
    As Lovett followed the vehicle, he alerted via radio to his friend and fellow cop watcher, Kory Watkins who was in attendance at the council meeting with Lone Oak Police Chief, Jessie Smallwood. Watkins immediately informed the Chief who alerted local authorities of the situation.

Lovett decided to circle back to city hall to meet up with the Chief before heading out again to help search for the armed assailant. After several minutes passed, the Chief alerted Lovett that an environmental enforcement officer had pulled the van over south of town on county road 1571, which dead ends at Lake Tawakoni. When Lovett arrived on the scene, the suspect, who according to police is a convicted murderer and fresh out of prison, was apprehended without incident. The man was allegedly intoxicated and possessed a loaded pistol with 17 additional rounds on his person. Authorities believe that there was a good possibility that the suspect would have killed the woman if not apprehended.
    (all emphasis added)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Those in "authority" often give orders to disengage, if the followers are not wearing a state issued costume.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...unty-OC/page48 Post #1190 starts it.

I had an incident occur before me and "observed/followed" a violent person with a three foot sword. I was politely asked by the 911 operator to disengage when they got their squad in position. I was not in costume.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...unty-OC/page48 Post #1190 starts it.

I had an incident occur before me and "observed/followed" a violent person with a three foot sword. I was politely asked by the 911 operator to disengage when they got their squad in position. I was not in costume.
    I have seen that knight of the mental ward, without his sword.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)