• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vigilant citizen's immediate action may have saved woman's life

stealthyeliminator

A cop watcher who was outside of a city hall noticed an apparent assault and threat toward life take place in an adjacent vehicle and believed a woman's life to be in immediate danger. He alerted a fellow cop watcher inside the city hall via [strike]radio[/strike] a communication app, who then alerted the Chief of Police in attendance of the same meeting. The police responded immediately and began searching for the vehicle in question. They found the male occupant to be intoxicated, a convicted murderer who was just recently released from prison, and in possession of a handgun.
http://www.brettsanders.me/2015/05/texas-cop-watcher-thwarts-potential-homocide/

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Glad it worked out OK. Also very happy how the article editorialized in favor of cop watchers.

But I'm still shaking my head over the decision to stop following the vehicle. It seems he had comms with his friend who could have either relayed location/direction info to the CoP or helped establish direct comms between the friend and the CoP/LEOs.

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

Glad it worked out OK. Also very happy how the article editorialized in favor of cop watchers.

But I'm still shaking my head over the decision to stop following the vehicle. It seems he had comms with his friend who could have either relayed location/direction info to the CoP or helped establish direct comms between the friend and the CoP/LEOs.

stay safe.

Yeah I agree. Given the information we're presented with, I don't understand the decision to stop following the vehicle. Nevertheless, I'm thankful that the information was able to spread quickly enough that the officer in the surrounding area could get it by the time they saw the vehicle, and then make the stop.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Yeah I agree. Given the information we're presented with, I don't understand the decision to stop following the vehicle. Nevertheless, I'm thankful that the information was able to spread quickly enough that the officer in the surrounding area could get it by the time they saw the vehicle, and then make the stop.

I've read the article at the link, watched the first video entirely, and skimmed the second video. Danged if I can find the info about a decision to stop following the vehicle. Can you point me to it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've read the article at the link, watched the first video entirely, and skimmed the second video. Danged if I can find the info about a decision to stop following the vehicle. Can you point me to it.

As Lovett followed the vehicle, he alerted via radio to his friend and fellow cop watcher, Kory Watkins who was in attendance at the council meeting with Lone Oak Police Chief, Jessie Smallwood. Watkins immediately informed the Chief who alerted local authorities of the situation.

Lovett decided to circle back to city hall to meet up with the Chief before heading out again to help search for the armed assailant. After several minutes passed, the Chief alerted Lovett that an environmental enforcement officer had pulled the van over south of town on county road 1571, which dead ends at Lake Tawakoni. When Lovett arrived on the scene, the suspect, who according to police is a convicted murderer and fresh out of prison, was apprehended without incident. The man was allegedly intoxicated and possessed a loaded pistol with 17 additional rounds on his person. Authorities believe that there was a good possibility that the suspect would have killed the woman if not apprehended.
(all emphasis added)

stay safe.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

sudden valley gunner