• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 revolver, DA, exposed hammer, barrel ~1.85in

Peter

Hi all,

I'm looking for a revolver that will double as a practice and cc firearm for my wife, until she gets more comfortable with a larger caliber.

Criteria:
Exposed hammer(!!!)
Doule acction
"full size grip" (must fit all 3 fingers including pinky)
barrel no longer than 2 inches

Any advice? My wife loved shooting S&W 317, but its barrel is too long for effective concealment. It seems like there are no quality .22lr/magnum revolvers with a shorter barrel out there. S&W 351pd would be nice, however, it's grip is too small...

WalkingWolf

Hi all,

I'm looking for a revolver that will double as a practice and cc firearm for my wife, until she gets more comfortable with a larger caliber.

Criteria:
Exposed hammer(!!!)
Doule acction

Any advice? My wife loved shooting S&W 317, but its barrel is too long for effective concealment. It seems like there are no quality .22lr/magnum revolvers with a shorter barrel out there. S&W 351pd would be nice, however, it's grip is too small...

Charter Arms Pathfinder

72224.gif

I am going to give you a warning about 22LR out of a 2 inch barrel. With standard ammo I get around 900fps with a 4.75 inch barrel. You can expect to lose considerable fps with a very short barrel. Better than a sharp stick, but...

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Just my opinion, but considering the cost, slightly better defensive ammo, ease of carry I would get a Keltec P32. Small package, light recoil, double action only plus acp rounds are designed for short barrels, unlike normal revolver cartridges, and especially long rifle cartridges.

Peter

Charter Arms Pathfinder

I am going to give you a warning about 22LR out of a 2 inch barrel. With standard ammo I get around 900fps with a 4.75 inch barrel. You can expect to lose considerable fps with a very short barrel. Better than a sharp stick, but...

I have not read one positive thing about the Pathfinder. Doesn't seem like a gun one could count on... do you have any personal experience with it?

well, perhaps .22 magnum would be a better solution...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Run what ya brung." Just hope what you brought goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

Getting away from revolvers but staying with .22LR - either the Taurus PT-22 knockoff or the .22LR Beretta 21 A Bobcat, or stepping up to the 3032 .32ACP Tomcat. The Taurus does not have an exposed hammer while the Berettas do. The tip-up barrel makes folks happy who cannot rack the slide of a more traditional semiauto.

The S&W 351PD is a j-frame in .22Magnum while the S&W 317 Kit Gun is .22LR.

Taurus makes the Model 94 series revolvers in .22 LR and the Model 941 series revolvers in .22 Magnum.

The trick is to get her to a range where she can rent a bunch of different ones and wring them out to see what she likes best. As for the grip size of any of the ones above - that's why the have aftermarket grips.:D I suggest you get the grip issue settled before you hit her with all the choices of concealed carry holsters.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

I have not read one positive thing about the Pathfinder. Doesn't seem like a gun one could count on... do you have any personal experience with it?

well, perhaps .22 magnum would be a better solution...

You are going to run into the same problem with a 22 mag, you will gain a little more fps in a short barrel. CA had some problems in the past, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Other option might be a Taurus, not sure if they are still making a snub 22 revolver. The problem you get into with 22 revolvers is the 22 is not that powerful to begin with, it is designed for rifles, and barrel gap, and short barrel are two strikes against it. Personally for SD if I had to go with a 22 it would be a Ruger SR22, slightly longer barrel, no BC gap, strong reputation. But with any rimfire for SD only use premium ammo.

I use a 22 revolver around the yard, but it is a 4.75 inch barrel. Most of the time I carry a Colt PP for yard with handloaded 32-20. I am throwing a 90 grain wadcutter at 900fps, 380 performance, which is fine for around the yard. Like I said 22 is better than a sharp stick, but I would not count on 22 out of a short barrel.

You will also find good quality revolvers will run 400 bucks more, or less. You can get a P-32 for around $250, for her for SD, and take that extra money and buy a plinker 22LR for the range. I have a FIE E-15 that I have had for 30 years, it is exceptionally accurate, and has had bricks, and bricks of ammo through it. That is almost the same gun as a Heritage 22 revolver, my LGS has one for $184 that is both magnum, and LR. Mine is only LR.

If you do want to go with a revolver for SD, consider a 38 spl, loaded with 148 grain wadcutters. Because the wadcutter is loaded deeply in the case there is less muzzle flash(less powder) and is a good defensive round at close range. My wife's 352 Rossi is handloaded with custom rounds, 105 grain soft lead TC at 900fps(380 performance), BUT they are handloaded. To get that I am using a fast powder with a shortened case(23mm). That allows less powder, so less recoil and muzzle flash. I have been reloading for years, a novice probably should not do what I do. Pressures cannot exceed 20,000PSI for a 38spl revolver.

But most of the time when she is at work, and wishes to hide her gun it is a JA380, kick is not to bad, the gun is heavy for it's size. It throws a 93 grain FMJ at 950fps, much, much better than the weak performance from a 22 snubnose. The rest of the time we both open carry.

WalkingWolf

"Run what ya brung." Just hope what you brought goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

Getting away from revolvers but staying with .22LR - either the Taurus PT-22 knockoff or the .22LR Beretta 21 A Bobcat, or stepping up to the 3032 .32ACP Tomcat. The Taurus does not have an exposed hammer while the Berettas do. The tip-up barrel makes folks happy who cannot rack the slide of a more traditional semiauto.

The S&W 351PD is a j-frame in .22Magnum while the S&W 317 Kit Gun is .22LR.

Taurus makes the Model 94 series revolvers in .22 LR and the Model 941 series revolvers in .22 Magnum.

The trick is to get her to a range where she can rent a bunch of different ones and wring them out to see what she likes best. As for the grip size of any of the ones above - that's why the have aftermarket grips.:D I suggest you get the grip issue settled before you hit her with all the choices of concealed carry holsters.

stay safe.

Horrible reviews on both the Taurus, and Berretta. My wife looked at both those and opted for a JA380, it has functioned flawlessly, but it does have some kick, not uncontrollable like the LCP, or the Keltec 380.

WalkingWolf

X-OL carried a Kel Tec P-32 fluffed and buffed by me. It ain't a three-finger gun and no hammer.

True, but it conceals, works, and 32 acp is a hell of a lot better than 22lr from a snub.

The price keeps dropping on the Kahr CT 380, probably that will replace her JA in the future. Holds 7 rounds, so it has a longer grip, and slightly longer barrel than the CM 380. And Kahr has a fantastic reputation.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Horrible reviews on both the Taurus, and Berretta. My wife looked at both those and opted for a JA380, it has functioned flawlessly, but it does have some kick, not uncontrollable like the LCP, or the Keltec 380.

With Taurus it seems you have to be aware of which management regieme it is and what QC issues they are or are not having on the day your gun was made. I was lucky and got my PT22 while the stars were properly aligned and the folks on the production floor were all sticking their tongues out just right. (Much the same as the Charter Arms revolvers I got after repeatedly sending them back to get fixed. One day it all fell into place - possibly because by then the president of the company was standing over the production line breathing fire at them.)

I always remind myself - the person is asking what's out there in <caliber/design> as opposed to paying me as an expert to tell them what is the bestest and greatest that I personally guarantee will meet their desires. (And yes, I sort of slipped out of that a bit, didn't I?)

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

No argument from me, but OPie's criteria. A .22LR DA hammer fired is better'n a sharp stick. X-OL and X-MiL qualified with a Beretta Bobcat .22LR hammer fired 2.4 inch barrel.

I am not ruling 22 out, just it would have to be from a quality gun, along the lines of a SR22. Walther makes a good one but it is too big for pocket carry.

There used to be a ton of reasonable priced 22 revolvers on the market 30 years ago, most of those dried up. I carried a high standard 9 shot 22 as a backup, seems to me it had a 3 inch barrel. I traded it for a Sterling 22 semi auto because it fit in my spare handcuff case.

I do think she needs to choose the gun, my wife bought two guns, on price, carry, ease of use, fun to shoot. She already had the Rossi I bought her, out of everything she looked at she picked a Hi Point CF380, and a JA380, both guns have been extremely reliable. The CF380 has no more recoil than a 22, seriously I am not kidding. She made good choices. She still prefers to carry those two, even though she now has a Glock 22 I bought for her.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
A shipmate's wife - he was away - asked me to teach her to shoot her little revolver. Wanting to see how she handled the pistol, I watched her shoot it over the marsh in Goose Creek. I was splattered by the lead from poor indexing and we threw the junk in the marsh. Then we went to Arlen T. Pendergrast's and bought a quality pistol, I don't remember which.

That's not a problem. That's a feature! Distracts attackers on the flanks while you're shooting the one in front. :p:)

Another option for a multi-purpose revolver would be cap-and-ball in .44. Two shots and you're instantly obscured from your attackers by a personal smokescreen. :)

Last edited:

Peter

thanks for input everyone. let me make a few points:
wifey does not like semi automatic pistols. also, with her level of training, clearing potential malfunctions in a high stress situation would be an issue. of course she is and will be practicing, but we need a solution now, not a year later. there are many factors in her case that cause us to eliminate semi-auto, one of them being that she is just simply more comfortable with DA revolvers. I don't want her to leave the gun at home because she doesn't feel like dealing with it.

I am very aware of .22 caliber limitations, trust me. the decission to go with this caliber was not made lightly.

reloads for an EDC gun are not an option, for a number of reasons.

thank you! this makes me think, perhaps we should get the 351pd and put a larger grip on it? it would be a ~$800 solution, but we both very much like the quality of S&W.

She tried what is available in this area; .22 revolvers are very hard to find. she was ok with Taurus 94, but the quality just didn't seem to be there, even though it shot relatively well.

Peter

Thanks for input everyone!

this is a great suggestion, didn't know about this. Perhaps the 351pd & a larger grip are the solution I've been looking for. even though it will be ~$800...

wifey is not comfortable w/ semi-automatic pistols. clearing malfunctions in high stress situations would be problematic at this point; of course she is and will be training, but we need a solution now, not in a year.

I am very aware of .22 limitations. trust me, this decision was not made lightly.

reloads for SD are not being considered for a number of reasons, but thank you for the suggestion.

we have shot everything available in the area. supply and variety is very limited though. she shot Taurus 94, our # 1 contender at the moment... it shot ok, but the firearm felt just... meh. S&Ws feel much nicer.

Marco

Hi all,

Criteria:
Exposed hammer(!!!)
Doule acction

Ruger SP101 or Ruger LCR would be my choice (LCR-x has exposed hammer)

But, I would consider one in 38spl. Not for the power factor but for the cost and the ability to reload and tailor a load.

Currently 38spl ammo is cheaper and easier to find than 22lr and it avoids you having to buy a larger caliber later.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

CCI Stinger, CCI segmented and Winchester 42 Max would be the loads I would use if I were to carry a 22lr for SD.

Have you considered something like this:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
tag-line:
[SIZE=-1]If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin[/SIZE]

I hadn't thought about Alan Korwin in a few years. But, seeing your tag line reminded me of him. Thanks. Very cool guy. I'm gonna go look up his website now.

Last edited: