• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Atlanta - East Point man held a would-be carjacker at gunpoint until police arrived

XD40sc

This is a classic example for everyone who carries of how to do it right. The victim gets it right. The bystander gets it right. The responding law enforcement officers get it right.

I have tears in my eyes. Must be the onions on my Subway sandwich.

The cops really got it right, they came up on a black man (the victim) with a gun in his hand, and they didn't shoot him. The victim also did it right as he put his gun on the curb when the cops arrived (black or white or green) put the gun down when the cops get there.

One threat that I haven't seen addressed is that newer vehicles unlock ALL doors as soon as the vehicle is put into park. Crooks know this, and just have to wait until they hear the doors unlock.

First why in hell did vehicle makers make this a feature, and can it be disabled? If there is only a driver, why in hell automatically unlock all doors and hatch or tailgate? My truck automatically locks the doors when I reach 18MPH, and does not unlock them when I put it in park. I can open a locked door from the inside, which provides me the highest level of security, or I can hit the unlock button on the armrest.

HPmatt

I like the LAC giving the perp an earful as he was waiting for the cops.

I know my Honda Pilot can be programmed to open all or just drivers door when you shift into park. Manual is very confusing but dealership service guys figured it out -after about 5 minutes of trying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kopis

The cops really got it right, they came up on a black man (the victim) with a gun in his hand, and they didn't shoot him. The victim also did it right as he put his gun on the curb when the cops arrived (black or white or green) put the gun down when the cops get there.

One threat that I haven't seen addressed is that newer vehicles unlock ALL doors as soon as the vehicle is put into park. Crooks know this, and just have to wait until they hear the doors unlock.

First why in hell did vehicle makers make this a feature, and can it be disabled? If there is only a driver, why in hell automatically unlock all doors and hatch or tailgate? My truck automatically locks the doors when I reach 18MPH, and does not unlock them when I put it in park. I can open a locked door from the inside, which provides me the highest level of security, or I can hit the unlock button on the armrest.

i get a new company car every year (usually different models). Ive noticed that american cars seem to do this and jap cars dont. My impala and fusion did it, but my last two altimas dont.

XD40sc

i get a new company car every year (usually different models). Ive noticed that american cars seem to do this and jap cars dont. My impala and fusion did it, but my last two altimas dont.

Daughters 2014 Toyota Highlander unlocks all doors, plus rear tailgate when put in park :mad:

Last edited:

decklin

Daughters 2014 Toyota Highlander unlocks all doors, plus rear tailgate when put in park :mad:

My tundra does this. I love everything about the truck except that. I've searched all the forums to try to disable it. You can't though. But you can trick it.
When you park these are the steps:
Leave in drive
Turn off ignition
Put in park
Remove key

That's the only way I could get it to work.