Thread: to those member who have served...thanks

to those member who have served...thanks

your service to our country, is noted and certainly appreciated...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Founder's Club Member
    to those member who have served...thanks
    Former USMC here. You're welcome.

But, I no longer consider my service deserving of thanks.

Permit me to relate a little something. In boot camp, the USMC made a big deal of one of its most famous Marines, Gen. Smedley Butler. We were required to know about "old gimlet eye" (penetrating eyes). Now, Smedley Butlter changed his stripes. He finally realized that the US military is used not to fight for rights, but to fight to forward the interests of government and big business. He wrote a short book about it, now in the public domain, "War is a Racket." He even proposed the Peace Amendment (google it).

But, boot camp never mentioned those other things. Just "gimlet eye" and the vague impression that he was a very important Marine.

Now, why would your average Drill Instructor or the colonel in charge of training at Parris Island require his recruits to know about Smedley Butler, but without mentioning the rest of his story after he resigned? Butler destroyed most of the US justifications for war. Think about this for a moment, a USMC general repudiated his entire military career, and the government motives for which he fought.

Its almost as though the drill instructors and training officers wanted us to know. There really is no other reason to mention Butler or require knowing about him. He wasn't more effective that Howling Mad Smith or the other famous officers of the USMC. Its almost as though the drill instructors and training commander wanted us to have that little thread those of us smart enough could pursue later.

Alas, I wasn't smart enough. It wasn't until years later that I came across War is a Racket. By this point, I had already read the biography of the most venerated Marine officer, Lt. Gen. Lewis (Chesty) Puller. Already knowing Puller's military postings, Butler's words rang true when he recounted in War is a Racket some of the same campaigns Puller was involved in. That plus my high-school history teacher's implied meanings came back to me.

I was lucky enough to serve during relative peace time. So, I didn't risk any skin. At that point in my youth (stupid) I was willing to take on a whole squad of Russian infantry--and dumb enough to think I could.

But, since then, I've concluded that even my willingness to step into harm's way was misplaced trust in rhetoric, jingoism, and pedagoguery. I didn't fight for anybody's rights, and if Butler is right in War is Racket, by extension neither did most of our nation's war dead.

So, you're welcome. But, I think most of our war maimed and dead deserve not so much to be remembered for their sacrifice, but for the deceptions that induced their sacrifice. They were the good guys believing in what they were doing; it was government's deceptions that got them killed. Remember that this Memorial Day, and I will consider my service worth something.
    Last edited by Citizen; 05-24-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Warning: rant follows.

But first - thank you for your thanks and/or support.

[Rant]The timing of your comment is bothersome. Tremendously bothersome.

Memorial Day, before it was the day swimming pools and amusement parks opened for the summer season, was set aside to remember servicemembers who died while in service.

Those who served and survived get their day of recognition in November.

Confusing the two is bothersome. Tremendously bothersome.[/Rant]

There was a time (no, it was after the dinosaurs died) when Memorial Day was not associated with White Sales, discounts on new cars, or any of the other commercialization that has sprung up and taken over, much like kudzu.

Again, thank you for your thoughts. I'm sure you mean well. I see it as the duty of those who served and survived, as well as those that did not serve but enjoy the freedoms assured by the service of others, to keep the memory of ultimate sacrifice alive if only for one day of the year.

Folks might want to follow the links at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...8-This-weekend

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Daily Mail had a nice article and photos on Memorial Day. Have to go to a foreign paper to read of things important in our country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3b2Vgh2LE

I won't dignify this thread w the M/D tweet I saw from POTUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďMen live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Emery A. Popoloski - Memorial Day is for those who did not make it home.

"Memorial Day is not a day for us, military caregivers, or any service member or veteran currently living. It is the day that we leave out that extra drink at the bar. Or a slice of lemon on the bread plate at the missing-man table.

Memorial Day is for those who did not make it home. It is for those who fought bravely until their last breath in hospitals such as Walter Reed. It is for those 22 veterans a day who came home physically, but never left the battle and ultimately lost their own private war.

It is a day when many who survived deal with their own survivorís guilt. When we visit the graves, uniform white tombstones, and nothing else is left.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hose-who-did-/

I have never been able to go to The Wall for too many classmates' names and survivors guilt. It's a good essay.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "Memorial Day is not a day for us, military caregivers, or any service member or veteran currently living. It is the day that we leave out that extra drink at the bar. Or a slice of lemon on the bread plate at the missing-man table.

Memorial Day is for those who did not make it home. It is for those who fought bravely until their last breath in hospitals such as Walter Reed. It is for those 22 veterans a day who came home physically, but never left the battle and ultimately lost their own private war.

It is a day when many who survived deal with their own survivorís guilt. When we visit the graves, uniform white tombstones, and nothing else is left.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hose-who-did-/

I have never been able to go to The Wall for too many classmates' names and survivors guilt. It's a good essay.
    +1
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

U.S. military and civilians are increasingly divided. L.A. Times

The U.S. military today is gradually becoming a separate warrior class, many analysts say, that is becoming increasingly distinct from the public it is charged with protecting. As the size of the military shrinks, the connections between military personnel and the broad civilian population appear to be growing more distant, the Pew Research Center concluded after a broad 2012 study of both service members and civilians.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...ry.html#page=1

http://apnews.myway.com/article/2015...2500a3775.html

True honors or hollow gestures, Military tributes at baseball games?
    "“It’s a box-checked kind of thing,” said former Army Ranger Rory Fanning, who has become a vocal critic of America’s foreign wars. “The way you support our soldiers is by asking them questions about what happened when they’re overseas and to talk to them about what they did. I don’t think sporting events is a proper place for that. There’s very little critical discussion. These things have a way of washing over all those questions.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...2a4_story.html

And I suspect that veterans are similarly divided, young from old. My American Legion post has two veterans of recent conflict among about a hundred.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-24-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Let's not make this a rant, or about politics. Let's give thanks to those who with out question gave the ultimate sacrifice over the years. God speed, RIP warriors!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "Memorial Day is not a day for us, military caregivers, or any service member or veteran currently living.
    Correct. Memorial Day is to honor those who died in service to our country. Veterans day is for the rest of us.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Thank you...but.

solus, thanks to you Sir for the sentiment.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare