• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MCL 123.1103 amended, effective August 10, 2015

kubel

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990
***** 123.1103.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE AUGUST 10, 2015 *****

123.1103.amended Local unit of government; permissible prohibitions or regulation.
Sec. 3.

This act does not prohibit a local unit of government from doing any of the following:

(a) Prohibiting or regulating conduct with a pistol, other firearm, or pneumatic gun that is a criminal offense under state law.

(b) Prohibiting or regulating the transportation, carrying, or possession of pistols, other firearms, or pneumatic guns by employees of that local unit of government in the course of their employment with that local unit of government.

(c) Regulating the possession of pneumatic guns within the local unit of government by requiring that an individual below the age of 16 who is in possession of a pneumatic gun be under the supervision of a parent, a guardian, or an individual 18 years of age or older, except that an ordinance shall not regulate possession of a pneumatic gun on or within private property if the individual below the age of 16 is authorized by a parent or guardian and the property owner or legal possessor to possess the pneumatic gun.

(d) Prohibiting an individual from pointing, waving about, or displaying a pneumatic gun in a threatening manner with the intent to induce fear in another individual.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991 ;-- Am. 2015, Act 29, Eff. Aug. 10, 2015

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(iv...age=getobject&objectname=mcl-123-1103-amended

Also, sort of related- Wayne County Parks System's Rules and Regulations, shows under section 14(a):

14) FIREARMS
a) No person shall at any time, bring into or upon park property or have in their
possession, nor discharge or set off anywhere upon said property, a bow and arrow, spear,
revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, paint ball guns, air gun, or any gun, rifle, firearm
or other weapon that discharges projectiles either by air, explosive substance or any other
force. Provided however, that this section shall not apply to any duly authorized law
enforcement officer while carrying out the duties and responsibilities of his or her
position not to any person while upon designated target ranges, nor to any properly
licensed hunters, possessing unloaded firearms during bird hunting season within the
launching ramp area of the Elizabeth Park Marina, located in City of Trenton, nor any
person carrying a concealed pistol for which the person has a valid license obtained in
accordance with law, provided further, however, that any such weapon shall not be
carried in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

::yawn::

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

if i read this right this bill just cut the legs off of pre emination.

Nope, does nothing to preemption(123.1102). This looks like it only adds air guns and only applies only to government employees, children under 16 and individuals brandishing them.

khicks

No person shall at any time, bring into or upon park property or have in their
possession, nor discharge or set off anywhere upon said property, a bow and arrow, spear,
revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, paint ball guns, air gun, or any gun, rifle, firearm
or other weapon that discharges projectiles either by air, explosive substance or any other
force. Provided however, that this section shall not apply to any duly authorized law
enforcement officer while carrying out the duties and responsibilities of his or her
position not to any person while upon designated target ranges, nor to any properly
licensed hunters, possessing unloaded firearms during bird hunting season within the
launching ramp area of the Elizabeth Park Marina, located in City of Trenton,

this part

(nor any
person carrying a concealed pistol for which the person has a valid license obtained in
accordance with law, provided further, however, that any such weapon shall not be
carried in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.)

Golden Eagle

No that would be stricter than state law, that is a county ordinance unenforceable under MCL 123.1102.
I don't know which law you don't understand.

FreeInAZ

GE - is correct IMHO, however there are many laws on the books in MI that seem to conflict with each other. The thing to remember is: MCL 123.1102 (Aka MI firearms preemption) trumps all other firearms ordinances be they: county, city or village. Now getting your local PD to admit they know this, is an entirely different matter. ;)

Last edited:

markm

At first glance, it would seem to prohibit long-gun carry as well as open carry without a CPL.

Hi OC4me,

How are you getting to this conclusion? I followed the link to the Legislature's MCL site and don't come to the same conclusion as you.

The main clause states: "...that is a criminal offense under state law."

Local political subdivisions of Michigan's Legislature may mirror current state law; and, regulate the carrying and using of weapons by their employees.

Also, if a minor is using or transporting an air gun on public property, he/she must have a guardian over 18 accompany him.

Everything else under this law is already illegal under MI law.

Am I wrong?

Thanks,

markm
(L'Anse homeowner and soon-to-be refugee of the People's Republic of Kalifornia)

Last edited:

OC4me

MarkBofRAdvocate, we are not looking at the same post. I don't have the time this morning to reread the entire thread, but I think I was commenting on Wayne County Parks System's Rules and Regulations (which is preempted, of course).

The exceptions to their (illegal) gun ban appear to only apply to CPL holders concealing pistols, hence long gun and open carry not allowed.

markm

MarkBofRAdvocate, we are not looking at the same post. I don't have the time this morning to reread the entire thread, but I think I was commenting on Wayne County Parks System's Rules and Regulations (which is preempted, of course).

The exceptions to their (illegal) gun ban appear to only apply to CPL holders concealing pistols, hence long gun and open carry not allowed.

Hi OC4me,

Context is everything!! That's why I was confused.

And, I think your interpretation of Wayne County Parks System's Rules and Regulations is correct.

thanks,

markm
(L'Anse homeowner and soon-to-be refugee of Kalifornia)

Last edited: