Thread: Info on OC

Info on OC

Question for any.. whats the best site to look up open carry laws

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesc.smith.77 View Post
    There are no open carry laws in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is the absence of any statute that makes OC ex post facto legal. No permission slip/permit required to OC either.

Just be an otherwise non-restricted person and mind the rules on where no guns are allowed.

Woops - just noticed that you are in Kentucky. Will move your post there
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-25-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: wrong sub-forum
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc.smith.77 View Post
    Here are the Kentucky Revised Statutes
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/index.aspx

Here is their search page
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrcsearch

KRS 237.110 and what follows regulates carry of a concealed weapon.

Without a statute regulating open carry, it is on the face of the matter, prima face, legal. Beware that the assertion of non-existence, as of a regulation, cannot be proven or sustained without examining the entire universe of discourse, here the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-25-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Ky. courts have prohibited the possession of firearms on all court property by judicial order
    Does this mean you can't have it in the same parking lot as the courts? or just in the building?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    Does this mean you can't have it in the same parking lot as the courts? or just in the building?
    The building only.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

So if you get caught even just one time "illegally concealing" you may never be able to purchase a gun again? Minimum 2 year sentence? Or is that outdated...
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

I got it from your own post...maybe you forgot?

"In a 1956 Court of Appeals decision, Judge Morman wrote the following(of course 1956 was before concealed weapons licenses were available in Ky.):
    In our state the legislature is empowered only to deny to citizens the right to carry concealed weapons. The constitutional provision is an affirmation of the faith that all men have the inherent right to arm themselves for the defense of themselves and of the state. The only limitation concerns the mode of carrying such instruments. We observe, via obiter dicta, that although a person is granted the right to carry a weapon openly, a severe penalty is imposed for carrying it concealed. If the gun is worn outside the jacket or shirt in full view, no one may question the wearer's right so to do; but, if it is carried under the jacket or shirt, the violator is subject to imprisonment for not less than two nor more than five years. The heavy emphasis, we suppose, is upon the undue advantage given to a person who is able suddenly to expose and use a weapon, although the gun itself is the vicious instrument."
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    keep your mouth shut about it and it won't matter what the law says. If it is ever discovered the law should protect you.

After moving here I had to have the car inspected by a deputy. When he opened the car door the 1911 was in the door pocket. Nothing was said till he got ready to close the door and he gently closed it, saying "I didn't want your gun to jump around in the door pocket and go off."

While I was waiting in the lobby and talking to another deputy (who happened to be a former Army tanker), he saw my holster and asked if I had a gun on me, to which I replied "no, it's in the car."

In Washington State, they are required to have lock boxes or someone to take possession of the firearm, so we can lock them up before entering the court. Maybe that's something we should push for here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    So if you get caught even just one time "illegally concealing" you may never be able to purchase a gun again? Minimum 2 year sentence? Or is that outdated...

KRS 527.020
    (10) Carrying a concealed weapon is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the defendant hasbeen previously convicted of a felony in which a deadly weapon was possessed,used, or displayed, in which case it is a Class D felony.

KRS 237.110
    (15) The licensee shall carry the license at all times the licensee is carrying a concealedfirearm or other deadly weapon and shall display the license upon request of a lawenforcement officer. Violation of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute anoncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25), payable to theclerk of the District Court, but no court costs shall be assessed.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    You could have just OC'ed into the Sheriff's office. No need to leave it in the car or use a lock box.

Here in Madisonville, the Deputies at the court house are the ones who do the inspection. In order for me to change my drivers license, I have to leave the gun, knife, cell phone & blue tooth ear piece in the car because I have to go thru the security check station to get to the licensing office.

State law allows us to open carry into the sheriff's dept. They're not supposed to stop that. If they do, they have violated your rights. They can keep your knife, cell phone, and earpiece out, but they have to allow the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    State law allows us to open carry into the sheriff's dept. They're not supposed to stop that. If they do, they have violated your rights. They can keep your knife, cell phone, and earpiece out, but they have to allow the gun.
    This had NOTHING to do with the Sheriff's office. The new court house (IE:Judicial Center) requires you leave all the usual carry items in your vehicle.

I misread, my apologies.