Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote on SB 11, Campus Carry, Coming up next in Texas House 26 May, 2015

Centurion

Vote on SB 11, Campus Carry, Coming up next in Texas House 26 May, 2015

Here is the link to the live stream of the Texas House. If SB 11 does not pass the third read in the House before midnight, it dies today.

http://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPl...&event_id=1694

Not yet...they're going to hear other postponed. And there are 14 amendments for SB 19.

And apparently there is a Calendar Committee meeting at 6:15.
    Last edited by Glockster; 05-26-2015 at 06:53 PM.
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Centurion

Yes, it should be after SB 19, another forum is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    Not yet...they're going to hear other postponed. And there are 14 amendments for SB 19.
    It looked like it was going to be after SB 9, then SB 19 amendments came up. Didn't see them on the calendar, but legislative procedures are complex.

Yeah, it got confusing when they postponed a postponed bill, and that was 19 and so that's how that came up again. It was scheduled from first postponement to be heard before 206, 9 and 11, but then was postponed and fell in after 9. You need a freakin' scorecard for this stuff!
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Centurion

Did Straus just kill Campus Carry?

Yeah, it got confusing when they postponed a postponed bill, and that was 19 and so that's how that came up again. It was scheduled from first postponement to be heard before 206, 9 and 11, but then was postponed and fell in after 9. You need a freakin' scorecard for this stuff!
    I see that a rep asked the Chairman to suspend debate on 19 to allow SB 11 and the Abortion bill to come to a vote, for fear that they would not be heard today, and die for lack of time.

The chairman said that he hoped for SB 19 to be finished today, then left. Was that Straus?

I wasn't watching but he comes up when something important is going on.

I assume the plan is to discuss as many amendments as it takes to then need to deal with priority postponed bills so they can run the clock out.
    NRA Life Member

Centurion

I hope they get to SB 11 they are on amendment 14 of SB 19 now

I wasn't watching but he comes up when something important is going on.

I assume the plan is to discuss as many amendments as it takes to then need to deal with priority postponed bills so they can run the clock out.
    I think killing by delay and calendar is a Straus specialty.

Yup. I honestly believe that it is dead as he clearly is not doing what needs to be done...again.
    NRA Life Member

However...now seeing an amendment pulled gives me so me hope that 11 just might get its time.
    NRA Life Member

Reportedly 83 amendments waiting on SB 11.
    NRA Life Member

Centurion

Looks like Straus engineered the schedule to prevent a vote on Campus Carry

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    I think killing by delay and calendar is a Straus specialty.

Another forum says that 84 amendments are lined up on SB 19.

That is plenty to run out the clock.

I thought I just heard the speaker say this was the last amendment for this bill?

Added: scratch that.
    Last edited by Glockster; 05-26-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    NRA Life Member

Now up to 101 amendments on SB 11.

Not a chance. Done, beaten by the clock driven by Strause.

And by current count, there are now two previously postponed bills ahead of 11.
    Last edited by Glockster; 05-26-2015 at 09:25 PM.
    NRA Life Member

Centurion

I wonder what scheduling games he has ginned up for HB 910

Now up to 101 amendments on SB 11.

Not a chance. Done, beaten by the clock driven by Strause.

And by current count, there are now two previously postponed bills ahead of 11.
    After seeing this fiasco, I suspect that Strause will find a way to kill open carry by running out the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    After seeing this fiasco, I suspect that Strause will find a way to kill open carry by running out the clock.
    If either happens, the lying and subterfuge and collusion is remarkable, but not surprising.

“While the Senate considered attaching ‘campus carry’ to this bill, Speaker Joe Straus has assured the Texas Senate that the House will approve a ‘campus carry’ bill in time to be approved by the Senate and sent to the Governor to become law before time runs out on the 84th Legislative Session,” concluded Patrick.

https://www.ltgov.state.tx.us/2015/0...en-carry-bill/
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

SB11 now being heard.
    NRA Life Member

Sometimes I wonder about this. The rep currently testifying made me think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72nK7APr6Xs
    Last edited by 77zach; 05-26-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

SB11 now being heard.
    Given the gov's and lt govs comments and the fact that they would be wasting valuable time only to have the bill die, it would be very strange. They usually don't vouch for each other if it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Given the gov's and lt govs comments and the fact that they would be wasting valuable time only to have the bill die, it would be very strange. They usually don't vouch for each other if it's not going to happen.
    They do if nobody wants to take the blame for it not passing. Similar fates last session.
    NRA Life Member

This bill is a big yawn if schools can opt out if their board of regents want to. 2/3 will be easy. You don't get on the board of regents unless you're anti gun. Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    This bill is a big yawn if schools can opt out if their board of regents want to. 2/3 will be easy. You don't get on the board of regents unless you're anti gun. Moving on.
    What I hate is that all the opponents keep quoting police chiefs, campus security and university presidents.....but no one quotes the individual student. Rights belong to the individual and shouldn't be something that can be voted away. None of these governing bodies truly represent the people....I never voted for my college deans or president, these were elected by a faceless private board of directors. Sometimes it feels like it is Lords vs. Plebs.
    Last edited by jc79; 05-26-2015 at 11:46 PM.

With a midnight deadline, 11 pm seemed like a good time to take a break? This way they can all just shrug and say "we ran out of time."
    Doesn't bode well for timely concurrence on open carry by the House, although that deadline is not as close.

Interesting how the argument is that the staff/employees/teachers need to be protected from people carrying guns, when the bill's strategy is to allow the nurses/teachers/staff protect themselves. As though the tragic events we have seen were prevented by prohibiting guns. Why do people think that pointing to these examples of the failure of the prohibitions strengthens the reason to continue the old policies. Blind spots caused by fear?

Well look at that. Through the House. Now it needs Senate concurrence.

Passed, as Lt Gov said it would. Now the board of regents will ban carry "everywhere students are gathered" LOL.

http://m.chron.com/about/article/Hou...ry-6288148.php

Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, D-San Antonio, who tried to kill the bill through a number of procedural maneuvers, said he believes there was still a good chance to defeat the legislation.

"This is not over 'til it's over. The notion that we could take an entire day and fight campus carry until 11:35, 11:40 at night, it's a significant accomplishment, to know there are negotiated changes to make this proposition much more difficult to become a legislative reality," Martinez Fischer said.

The bill now heads back to the Senate, which is not expected to agree with the changes made to its legislation. This would push the bill to a conference committee to iron out the chambers' differences, where opponents of the legislation expect there could be deadlock.

If a majority of the conference committee members from both chambers cannot come to an agreement on the bill, it will not become law.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast