Thread: Experience w/ Genesee County Gun Board / Genesee Gun Lawyers?

Experience w/ Genesee County Gun Board / Genesee Gun Lawyers?

Figured this would be the best place to look for any advice in dealing with the Genesee County Gun Board. Also does anyone have any good Gun Rights lawyers they could recommend for the Genesee area or surrounding?

Update:
    Found a list of attorneys at http://miopencarry.org/attorneys . Still curious on any personal exp or stories regarding this particular gun board.
    Last edited by Second Reality; 05-26-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Well you could wait for a while, aren't the "goon-boards" being phased out in MI?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well you could wait for a while, aren't the "goon-boards" being phased out in MI?
    If that is the case, how will things be handled in the future?

When I lived in Davison I just went downtown Flint to the county sheriffs office and picked up my app. took the class at Advanced Ranges on Center rd. took my cert. and app to the county clerk in Flint, turned things in and paid my money. about 2 months later I had a call to come pick up my license. Never had any dealings with the board personally. I think they just review the apps and approve them. Its a useless step really and I think they are just getting paid for nothing. Good to see them go the way of the dinosaur. I now live in East Tennessee. Some things are better here, some are not. Good luck with your app. It should be a non issue about the board.

Experience w/ Genesee County Gun Board / Genesee Gun Lawyers?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Reality View Post
    If that is the case, how will things be handled in the future?
    See below: thanks GoldenEagle.

PS - hey, I was right, go figure...
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-01-2015 at 01:22 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

You will still turn in the required documents and fees to the county clerk. As long as there are no reasons to preclude you from obtaining a CPL, it will either be mailed to you or can be picked up at the clerks office when notified.

The only real difference is no longer attending the gun board for their "permission".....

This goes into effect on Oct 1st.
    Last edited by xd shooter; 05-30-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post

This goes into effect on Oct 1st.
    The final bill that was signed says it goes into effect December 1, 2015.
    https://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%...8-425b-amended
    Last edited by Golden Eagle; 05-31-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Thanks for the add! Wonder why they moved it back 2 months....

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    Thanks for the add! Wonder why they moved it back 2 months....
    Probably so the "goon board" members could have a little more time to de-tox off their power high vs going cold turkey?

Seriously, they probably griped they wouldn't have enough time to close up shop & transfer files etc, etc, knowing them.

Well, got my response letter today. The Genesee County Gun board declined reinstating my CPL based a CLASS B misdemeanor I got (punishable by 6months or less) that is NOT on the Firearms Act, P.A. 1927, NO. 372 in which I successfully completed probation for.

Im going to send in a letter to request an appeal hearing before the board in person. Other than that, and waiting until after Decemeber 1st when things switch over, what else should I do? Look into a lawyer for the hearing? Will they even give me a hearing?

Seems to me that's a violation of the "shall issue" rules and grounds for getting an atty. at some point.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Well, got my response letter today. The Genesee County Gun board declined reinstating my CPL based a CLASS B misdemeanor I got (punishable by 6months or less) that is NOT on the Firearms Act, P.A. 1927, NO. 372 in which I successfully completed probation for.

Im going to send in a letter to request an appeal hearing before the board in person. Other than that, and waiting until after Decemeber 1st when things switch over, what else should I do? Look into a lawyer for the hearing? Will they even give me a hearing?
    How long ago was the charge? Depending on your charge, it could take anywhere from 3 to 8 years from the disposition of your case.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...0926--,00.html

ETA - see if your charge is listed in 12 or 13.
    Last edited by OneForAll; 06-02-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    How long ago was the charge? Depending on your charge, it could take anywhere from 3 to 8 years from the disposition of your case.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...0926--,00.html

ETA - see if your charge is listed in 12 or 13.
    I've read over sections 12 and 13 multiple times. Even read all 50 pages of the actual legislation regarding CPL's in Michigan. My charge is not listed, nor is it 'similar' to of any them. The only answer I got from the board so far was a two sentence response that ended with "criminal history".

I'm currently looking into retaining a lawyer to help me in these matters.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    I've read over sections 12 and 13 multiple times. Even read all 50 pages of the actual legislation regarding CPL's in Michigan. My charge is not listed, nor is it 'similar' to of any them. The only answer I got from the board so far was a two sentence response that ended with "criminal history".

I'm currently looking into retaining a lawyer to help me in these matters.
    I strongly recommend:
    James Makowski
    6528 Schaefer Rd.
    Dearborn, MI 48126
    Phone: (313) 584-1404
    EMail: info@makowskilegal.com
    www.makowskilegal.com
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.