• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Experience w/ Genesee County Gun Board / Genesee Gun Lawyers?

Second Reality

Figured this would be the best place to look for any advice in dealing with the Genesee County Gun Board. Also does anyone have any good Gun Rights lawyers they could recommend for the Genesee area or surrounding?

Update:
Found a list of attorneys at http://miopencarry.org/attorneys . Still curious on any personal exp or stories regarding this particular gun board.

Last edited:

Ken56

When I lived in Davison I just went downtown Flint to the county sheriffs office and picked up my app. took the class at Advanced Ranges on Center rd. took my cert. and app to the county clerk in Flint, turned things in and paid my money. about 2 months later I had a call to come pick up my license. Never had any dealings with the board personally. I think they just review the apps and approve them. Its a useless step really and I think they are just getting paid for nothing. Good to see them go the way of the dinosaur. I now live in East Tennessee. Some things are better here, some are not. Good luck with your app. It should be a non issue about the board.

xd shooter

You will still turn in the required documents and fees to the county clerk. As long as there are no reasons to preclude you from obtaining a CPL, it will either be mailed to you or can be picked up at the clerks office when notified.

The only real difference is no longer attending the gun board for their "permission".....

This goes into effect on Oct 1st.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Thanks for the add! Wonder why they moved it back 2 months....:eek:

Probably so the "goon board" members could have a little more time to de-tox off their power high vs going cold turkey?

Seriously, they probably griped they wouldn't have enough time to close up shop & transfer files etc, etc, knowing them.
:rolleyes:

Second Reality

Well, got my response letter today. The Genesee County Gun board declined reinstating my CPL based a CLASS B misdemeanor I got (punishable by 6months or less) that is NOT on the Firearms Act, P.A. 1927, NO. 372 in which I successfully completed probation for.

Im going to send in a letter to request an appeal hearing before the board in person. Other than that, and waiting until after Decemeber 1st when things switch over, what else should I do? Look into a lawyer for the hearing? Will they even give me a hearing?

OneForAll

Well, got my response letter today. The Genesee County Gun board declined reinstating my CPL based a CLASS B misdemeanor I got (punishable by 6months or less) that is NOT on the Firearms Act, P.A. 1927, NO. 372 in which I successfully completed probation for.

Im going to send in a letter to request an appeal hearing before the board in person. Other than that, and waiting until after Decemeber 1st when things switch over, what else should I do? Look into a lawyer for the hearing? Will they even give me a hearing?

How long ago was the charge? Depending on your charge, it could take anywhere from 3 to 8 years from the disposition of your case.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

ETA - see if your charge is listed in 12 or 13.

Last edited:

Second Reality

How long ago was the charge? Depending on your charge, it could take anywhere from 3 to 8 years from the disposition of your case.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

ETA - see if your charge is listed in 12 or 13.

I've read over sections 12 and 13 multiple times. Even read all 50 pages of the actual legislation regarding CPL's in Michigan. My charge is not listed, nor is it 'similar' to of any them. The only answer I got from the board so far was a two sentence response that ended with "criminal history".

I'm currently looking into retaining a lawyer to help me in these matters.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I've read over sections 12 and 13 multiple times. Even read all 50 pages of the actual legislation regarding CPL's in Michigan. My charge is not listed, nor is it 'similar' to of any them. The only answer I got from the board so far was a two sentence response that ended with "criminal history".

I'm currently looking into retaining a lawyer to help me in these matters.

I strongly recommend:
James Makowski
6528 Schaefer Rd.
Dearborn, MI 48126
Phone: (313) 584-1404
EMail: info@makowskilegal.com
www.makowskilegal.com