• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Congrats for Texas...No Open Carry

rushcreek2

Fabricated contention over a provision merely intended to forestall law enforcement from harassing citizens because they oppose any form of open carry...be it with a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

The sky is not going to fall upon the Texas public squares simply because citizens would no longer be required to conceal their lawfully carried handgun......a fact that more than likely would go completely unnoticed by everyone...but 6 year old boys...... and habitual criminals.

That having been said.....drop this amendment altogether .....and let the civil suits commence effective January 1, 2016.

BTW... in my nine years of regularly engaging in discrete display of my holstered handgun in Colorado I have been contacted by law enforcement regarding that issue on ZERO occasions......primarily because I have presented in public in a manner intended to AVOID such contacts.

jc79

BTW... in my nine years of regularly engaging in discrete display of my holstered handgun in Colorado I have been contacted by law enforcement regarding that issue on ZERO occasions......primarily because I have presented in public in a manner intended to AVOID such contacts.

Same with my experiences in Oklahoma. I have gone so far as to walk past a police station (and pass about 6-7 LEOs) and not one stopped me or asked for my ID. Not sure where "pro-gun" Texas has a problem with this concept....the term "All Hat No Cattle" comes to mind.

nonameisgood

Same with my experiences in Oklahoma. I have gone so far as to walk past a police station (and pass about 6-7 LEOs) and not one stopped me or asked for my ID. Not sure where "pro-gun" Texas has a problem with this concept....the term "All Hat No Cattle" comes to mind.

We were the first state to outlaw all carrying of handguns, so no one alive here today has a memory of legal OC.

nonameisgood

I haven't researched all the iterations of handgun carry laws in Texas but the original ban exempted "holster" handguns. When was the first ban on all carrying of handguns enacted?
Maybe this is useful...
some random history of Texas gun law said:
http://www.guncite.com/journals/haltex.html][/url]
"The People Have Been Disarmed Throughout the State"

The elections of 1869 were characterized by massive fraud and force. Gen. Reynolds relinquished military authority to the new governor, E.J. Davis, who assumed extraordinary powers to make arrests, suspend the writ of habeas corpus, and declare martial law. Legislators who opposed his policies were arrested so that Radicals could obtain majorities to pass their bills.[141] A state police force was organized which promoted "official murder and legalized oppression."[142]

"An Act Regulating the Right to Keep and Bear Arms," approved on August 13, 1870, made it illegal for one to "have about his person a bowie-knife, dirk or butcher-knife, or fire-arms, whether known as a six-shooter, gun or pistol of any kind" at any church or religious assembly, school, ball room "or other social gathering composed of ladies and gentlemen," or election precinct.[143] The act was fairly limited, although its effect on cooks with butcher knives at social gatherings is unclear.

The far more draconian statute was passed on April 12, 1871, entitled "An Act to regulate the keeping and bearing of deadly weapons."[144] For the first time, Texas prohibited the bearing of all arms (p.658)other than rifles and shotguns at any place off of one's premises. Today's statute derives from the 1871 act passed by the Reconstruction legislature.

Section 1 of the act provided in part:

Any person carrying on or about his person, saddle, or in his saddle-bags, any pistol, dirk, dagger, sling-shot, sword-cane, spear, brass knuckles, bowie knife, or any other kind of knife, manufactured or sold, for the purpose of offense or defense, unless he has reasonable grounds for fearing an unlawful attack on his person, and that such ground of attack shall be immediate and pressing; or unless having or carrying the same on or about his person for the lawful defense of the State, as a militiaman in actual service, or as a peace officer or policeman, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor .... Provided, That this section shall not be so construed as to prohibit any person from keeping or having arms on his or her own premises, or at his or her own place of business, nor to prohibit sheriffs or revenue officers, and other civil officers, from keeping or having arms, while engaged in the discharge of their official duties, nor to prohibit persons traveling in the State from keeping or carrying arms with their baggage....[145]

Oh Shoot

Frankly, I just can't stand to keep posting in the other thread. Unless you see a unicorn, after the failed concurrence vote and move to conferencing committee, it is DOA.

Maybe y'all shouldn't give up hope.

We just went through similar in TN regarding removing any local control over carrying in city/county park/rec areas. Legislature was at loggerheads over the competing House and Senate bills, went to conference and bill that came out was pretty damn good, and passed easily.

Here's hoping for similar for you all.

- OS

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Maybe y'all shouldn't give up hope.

We just went through similar in TN regarding removing any local control over carrying in city/county park/rec areas. Legislature was at loggerheads over the competing House and Senate bills, went to conference and bill that came out was pretty damn good, and passed easily.

Here's hoping for similar for you all.

- OS
+1
Although if I still bit my nails they would be nubs by now....

Glockster

It is a done deal! Passed the Senate, and earlier the House, and is now on its way to the Governor!

HPmatt

Fron Sen Huffines:

MEDIA ADVISORY REPORT: SENATOR HUFFINES STATEMENT ON THE PASSAGE OF OPEN CARRY

huffines_header.jpg

For Immediate Release
May 29, 2015

Senator Huffines Statement on the Passage of Open Carry

Austin - The Open Carry Bill - House Bill 910 - passed the Texas Legislature and is on Governor Greg Abbott's desk, awaiting his signature. Senator Don Huffines had previously added a civil liberties amendment to the bill, which was later removed in the conference committee. Senator Huffines applauds the passage of HB 910, and will continue fighting to advance Second Amendment rights.

"HB 910 significantly advances Texans' God-given, constitutionally-protected right to protect themselves and their families," said Senator Huffines. "Although I regret this bill does not include a critical civil liberties protection, it is too important to stall. A bipartisan coalition was formed in support of my amendment, and I look forward to building on that coalition in the future. We will work diligently over the Interim and next session to protect law-abiding Texans' civil liberties. Even without my amendment, I strongly and passionately support open carry."

###

Senator Don Huffines is a real estate developer serving his first term in the Texas Senate. He believes in limited government, personal responsibility, and that individuals have the God given right to pursue their own path, to succeed or fail. He represents Senate District 16, which serves a portion of Dallas County.

Pol. adv. paid for by Don Huffines for Texas State Senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Glockster

A unicorn is not the bearer of gifts or rewards.

A unicorn is someone not previously known to you who is seen OCing.

Yes Grape, but I was this time referring to the magical and mythical beast that had to show up at the right time to keep this from dying! :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes Grape, but I was this time referring to the magical and mythical beast that had to show up at the right time to keep this from dying! :)
What would be particularly gratifying is if the governor were OCing when he signed the bill - I would pay to see that!

nonameisgood

What would be particularly gratifying is if the governor were OCing when he signed the bill - I would pay to see that!

Considering that they delayed the start, that would be a little extralegal.

nonameisgood

The master of ones own castle, so to speak. Yes, but just like all the people shooting blindly off their verandas after Joe Biden enlightened us, we would have people OC all day, everyday, prematurely.