Thread: fingerprinting on the books in Isle of Wight

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

fingerprinting on the books in Isle of Wight

Everytime I look at one of these rural areas I find the fingerprinting ordinance. I wonder if VCDL's going to address them.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Everytime I look at one of these rural areas I find the fingerprinting ordinance. I wonder if VCDL's going to address them.
    As we are made aware of them. What works best is for someone to take on the problem, then give us the good news.

Don't know if this is current/up to date or not.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...US&pli=1#gid=0

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-amp-Park-Bans
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-28-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: fixed link
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As we are made aware of them. What works best is for someone to take on the problem, then give us the good news.

Don't know if this is current/up to date or not.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-amp-Park-Bans
    I know grape. I just hate taking on CHP issues..but I've done it before and I guess I'll hook up the recorder and call the county attorney.

Yep - Isle of Wright has illegal requirement.

Sec. 16.2-1. - Concealed handgun permits.

"Pursuant to section 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended, any person twenty-one years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the County of Isle of Wight, Virginia, if he resides therein, for a permit to carry a concealed handgun. As a condition thereof, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by the sheriff's department of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history records information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law enforcement agencies.............."

Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-28-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

"Pursuant to section 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended, any person twenty-one years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the County of Isle of Wight, Virginia, if he resides therein, for a permit to carry a concealed handgun. As a condition thereof, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by the sheriff's department of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history records information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law enforcement agencies.............."

And just because you haven't stated the bigger problem here:

The ENTIRE section, 16.2-1 is illegal and should be removed. The preemption section of the Code of Virginia does not say that a local jurisdiction may regulate the carry of firearms "as long as it matches the Code of Virginia." No, it says that the local jurisdiction MAY NOT REGULATE the carry of firearms. Period.

The entire ordinance is illegal.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    And just because you haven't stated the bigger problem here:

The ENTIRE section, 16.2-1 is illegal and should be removed. The preemption section of the Code of Virginia does not say that a local jurisdiction may regulate the carry of firearms "as long as it matches the Code of Virginia." No, it says that the local jurisdiction MAY NOT REGULATE the carry of firearms. Period.

The entire ordinance is illegal.

TFred
    That's essentially what happened in York County. They wanted to amend their ordinance to remove the fingerprint requirement, which would have left them with an ordinance regulating carry in violation of preemption.

It made my argument for repeal to their Board of Supervisors easy and successful.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

If I remember right, the same thing in Sussex county. Lots of fixing to do.

If I remember right, the same thing in Sussex county. Lots of fixing to do.
    Many hands make light work - if only everyone here would take on one of these each as a pet project.

Many hands make light work - if only everyone here would take on one of these each as a pet project.
    I'll look at Sussex again. If I remember right I stepped on Philips toes year before last when he was fixing it.

I'll look at Sussex again. If I remember right I stepped on Philips toes year before last when he was fixing it.
    Sussex appears to have been fixed.

Ok..I'll hit Southampton then. Dog hunters central. Joe wants IOW. He has a relationship with them if you recall.

The Chairman of the IoW Board of Supervisors, Rex Alphin, used to be my Scoutmaster. Would you like for me to contact him about removing the law?

Eh never mind, I just sent him a message linking to the topic.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 05-29-2015 at 06:58 PM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The Chairman of the IoW Board of Supervisors, Rex Alphin, used to be my Scoutmaster. Would you like for me to contact him about removing the law?
    That would be great!

That would be great!
    Joe needs the experience besides...IOW has a lot more to answer for than a few weapons faux pas.

Step one with Southampton finished. I should finish up on Monday.