Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Save open carry

Founder's Club Member

Save open carry

The House and the Senate appointed conferees to meet and generate a Conference Committee report! This report once it is passed will be voted on by the entire House and Senate! We need to make sure that we contact every House and Senate member to express our support for HB910 and our support for whatever the Conference committee will pass. There's no more time for arguing we need to urge them to vote YES on both HB910 and the Conference committee report! Sunday midnight is the deadline!!! We will not see open carry if we don't call everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related question. Do they truly not know the difference between a consensual encounter, detention, and arrest or just playing dumb?

Is Texas so full of lawless retard public officials that this amendment is actually very much needed?
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

I'm on it!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Related question. Do they truly not know the difference between a consensual encounter, detention, and arrest or just playing dumb?

Is Texas so full of lawless retard public officials that this amendment is actually very much needed?
    Based on the composition of the conferees I bet the Dutton-Rinaldi/Huffhines amendment will be modified or removed..... The case law is already clear on it, even if the Police Chiefs or CLEAT didn't get the memo...... I prefer the amendment, but I really don't care if it passes with or without it, as long as we get open carry. Consensual encounters are exactly that: if a cop wants to talk to you, he can, and if you chose to engage in the chat, instead of just telling him you don't want to talk, then the cop will go on asking questions until you wise up and finally ask if you're free to go........

Is there by any chance a live feed to view the Conference Committee??

Founder's Club Member
    I don't think that will be broadcast...... Not sure.

Ok thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post

Both. I think most really do understand the whole game some others are playing. The movement of the chess pieces have a method to them, but as with any game which a player doesn't really understand, some are pawns. There are a few people playing the game with the other members just along for the ride (and some probably don't even realize that.)

I like that it is hard to get consensus (i.e., Congress, not progress), but that works best if the issue is new laws, not removal of them. As unmanageable as it would be, a wholesale sunsetting of all such restrictions on liberty, so that they would have t be reconfirmed every 5, 10, 20, or maybe 50 years.

The conference committee report has been filed! Where can I find it?

Just got off the phone with Sen Estes' office. The young lady I talked to said that she doesn't know for sure how it went but she's anticipating the bill to pass and be sent to Abbott. The report should be available online tomorrow morning at the latest.

Founder's Club Member
    I'm told it should be uploaded soon!

Supplementary 4th amendment protection removed to lick the boots. Will have to go through both chambers again per Texas Carry.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Founder's Club Member

We are back on track

After all, the chances of open carry passing have increased again..... Keep calling all Republican Senators and House members and urge them to pass HB910 and approve the Conference committee report!

Quote Originally Posted by Count View Post
    After all, the chances of open carry passing have increased again..... Keep calling all Republican Senators and House members and urge them to pass HB910 and approve the Conference committee report!
    Just the bill with the 4th amendment protection out.

"The conference committee has come to an agreement, we have been informed that the agreement is to withdraw the amendment. The soonest that it can come up for a vote is after 4pm on Friday. Therefore, it will come up either after 4pm Friday or Saturday and it has to go through both chambers for a vote."

They are there on the ground, posting to facebook.

Geesh! I'm getting vertigo and a bit of motion sickness reading about this. If I lived in TX I'd be bi-polar by the time this was over. (yeah, yeah, physiological disorder not temporary situational condition - just making a joke)

Sending best wishes to all of TX that this comes together and hits Abbott's desk!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

From Statesman.com

"Meantime, a House-Senate conference committee made short work of House Bill 910, which allows those with a concealed handgun license to openly carry a firearm in a shoulder or belt holster.

The bill will return to both houses with a major sticking point removed — an amendment, added by Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, that barred law enforcement from detaining or questioning those with a holstered gun solely to check for a concealed handgun license.

“I’m disappointed,” Huffines said. “But I’m going to go along with the will of the body.”

The open carry bill could be voted on Friday in both houses.

Police leaders have strongly opposed the Huffines addition, arguing that it would allow felons to carry weapons with impunity and make it difficult for police to do their jobs.

Huffines said the no-stop amendment would protect against police interference for those who are acting legally. Several black and Hispanic Democrats also favored the amendment, saying it would protect against racial profiling by police."

Both Senator and Representative contacted, but they are already supporters.

While I'd love the amendment to have remained, it's removal still leaves us in a good place.

ETA: Compared to some states without express legislation permitting open carry, we may have clear law that will remove reasonable suspicion when carrying openly. It may take a few obstinate LEOs some educating, but certainly doable.
    Last edited by Stryker; 05-28-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    "Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem" – Ronald Reagan 20 January 1981

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." – George Washington

State Researcher
    Best of luck, Texas. It isn't everything you'd like, but it sounds like a step in the right direction with nothing lost in return.

Get it on the books for a year or so, and then come back to either add the protections against cops randomly checking OCers for permits or...even better, to remove the requirement for a permit to carry (OC, CC, either) altogether. Then there is no reason a cop should check for a permit.

Incrementalism works. It is slower than we'd like. But it works. And it gives the advantage to the grassroots who never retire, never stand for re-election, never have higher political aspirations.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Founder's Club Member
    Thanks for contacting Stryker! The reason we need to contact them is not to change their mind but to show the numbers are behind Open carry. You heard before politicians arguing they voted for it before they voted against it..... or vice versa....

I would have liked to see the amendment stay, but I honestly don't care at this point as long as we can get open carry passed through.

Losing this amendment does have me a bit worried though given the view of open carry by the police chief here in Austin. I feel like having it in the bill would actually prevent lawsuits against departments. Granted, I've never been stopped by a police officer open carrying for about 3 years while I lived in Colorado and now while I'm working in Louisiana (I attribute that to the way I dress and act), but I know Acevedo is extremely anti-OC.

Didn't they take out the punishment from the statute for failure to show your CHL to an officer?
    Last edited by Ian; 05-28-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    Best of luck, Texas. It isn't everything you'd like, but it sounds like a step in the right direction with nothing lost in return.

Get it on the books for a year or so, and then come back to either add the protections against cops randomly checking OCers for permits or...even better, to remove the requirement for a permit to carry (OC, CC, either) altogether. Then there is no reason a cop should check for a permit.

Incrementalism works. It is slower than we'd like. But it works. And it gives the advantage to the grassroots who never retire, never stand for re-election, never have higher political aspirations.

Charles
    I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I would have liked to see the amendment stay, but I honestly don't care at this point as long as we can get open carry passed through.

Losing this amendment does have me a bit worried though given the view of open carry by the police chief here in Austin. I feel like having it in the bill would actually prevent lawsuits against departments. Granted, I've never been stopped by a police officer open carrying for about 3 years while I lived in Colorado and now while I'm working in Louisiana (I attribute that to the way I dress and act), but I know Acevedo is extremely anti-OC.

Didn't they take out the punishment from the statute for failure to show your CHL to an officer?
    There's no punishment for not declaring your gun or not having the CHL card on you. You still have to be licensed.....
    The reason I like open carry because it is educational......... For cops and the public.....
    Reference your first point: I open carried everywhere I could in Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming for months and I never had a police encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Acevedo is anti-Texan from what I've seen. I expect the City of Austin to suffer lawsuits very soon after this occurs.

Do you really mean to say that the reason you are working in LA is because of the way you dress and act?

Wow! Was away this afternoon and look what I have come back to -- unicorns have made an appearance! And this is good, as it is a lot harder to filibuster for a couple of days!
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    Acevedo is anti-Texan from what I've seen. I expect the City of Austin to suffer lawsuits very soon after this occurs.

Do you really mean to say that the reason you are working in LA is because of the way you dress and act?
    Hah, no I'm sorry. I meant I attribute my not being stopped open carrying in front of police officers to the way I dress and act.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast