• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Save open carry

Count

Founder's Club Member
Best of luck, Texas. It isn't everything you'd like, but it sounds like a step in the right direction with nothing lost in return.

Get it on the books for a year or so, and then come back to either add the protections against cops randomly checking OCers for permits or...even better, to remove the requirement for a permit to carry (OC, CC, either) altogether. Then there is no reason a cop should check for a permit.

Incrementalism works. It is slower than we'd like. But it works. And it gives the advantage to the grassroots who never retire, never stand for re-election, never have higher political aspirations.

Charles

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Count

Founder's Club Member
I would have liked to see the amendment stay, but I honestly don't care at this point as long as we can get open carry passed through.

Losing this amendment does have me a bit worried though given the view of open carry by the police chief here in Austin. I feel like having it in the bill would actually prevent lawsuits against departments. Granted, I've never been stopped by a police officer open carrying for about 3 years while I lived in Colorado and now while I'm working in Louisiana (I attribute that to the way I dress and act), but I know Acevedo is extremely anti-OC.

Didn't they take out the punishment from the statute for failure to show your CHL to an officer?

There's no punishment for not declaring your gun or not having the CHL card on you. You still have to be licensed.....
The reason I like open carry because it is educational......... For cops and the public.....
Reference your first point: I open carried everywhere I could in Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming for months and I never had a police encounter.

nonameisgood

I would have liked to see the amendment stay, but I honestly don't care at this point as long as we can get open carry passed through.

Losing this amendment does have me a bit worried though given the view of open carry by the police chief here in Austin. I feel like having it in the bill would actually prevent lawsuits against departments. Granted, I've never been stopped by a police officer open carrying for about 3 years while I lived in Colorado and now while I'm working in Louisiana (I attribute that to the way I dress and act), but I know Acevedo is extremely anti-OC.

Didn't they take out the punishment from the statute for failure to show your CHL to an officer?

Acevedo is anti-Texan from what I've seen. I expect the City of Austin to suffer lawsuits very soon after this occurs.

Do you really mean to say that the reason you are working in LA is because of the way you dress and act?

Glockster

Wow! Was away this afternoon and look what I have come back to -- unicorns have made an appearance! And this is good, as it is a lot harder to filibuster for a couple of days!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Acevedo is anti-Texan from what I've seen. I expect the City of Austin to suffer lawsuits very soon after this occurs.

Do you really mean to say that the reason you are working in LA is because of the way you dress and act?

Hah, no I'm sorry. I meant I attribute my not being stopped open carrying in front of police officers to the way I dress and act.

77zach

TX carry us saying it will be law. The report suggests they may kill it by saying the conference " exceeded their jurisdiction".

Stryker

I am a bit worried about conference committee stripping the amendment. I thought they had some limitations on how much they could fiddle with the bills. I'm trusting (likely foolishly) that someone on the committee knows better than I.

Man, are my crossed fingers starting to ache!

nonameisgood

TX carry us saying it will be law. The report suggests they may kill it by saying the conference " exceeded their jurisdiction".
Yes, they have teed it up for that...
Conf Comm Rpt excerpt said:
SECTIONS 1 -28. Same as House version.

Section 29. No equivalent provision.
[The conference committee may have exceeded the
limitations imposed on its jurisdiction, but only the
presiding officer can make the final determination
on this issue.}

SECTIONS
30 -53. Same as House version

HPmatt

Assuming OC passes, I can't wait to have an excuse to visit Austin for OC meetups and tie-up police resources if the APD wants to check CHLs - 6th Street, Barton Springs, the Drag (like the spot where the fat APD officer tackled the girl jaywalking), Shoal Creek, Eeyore's bday party, Auditorium shores, etc. Would be great fun to OC and maybe get to participate in a lawsuit against City of Austin and Travis County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonameisgood

Assuming OC passes, I can't wait to have an excuse to visit Austin for OC meetups and tie-up police resources if the APD wants to check CHLs - 6th Street, Barton Springs, the Drag (like the spot where the fat APD officer tackled the girl jaywalking), Shoal Creek, Eeyore's bday party, Auditorium shores, etc. Would be great fun to OC and maybe get to participate in a lawsuit against City of Austin and Travis County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I can just figure out how to carry at hippy hollow. No pants, but with a belt? As open a carry as ever there was.

half_life1052

Not for nuthin but

If I can just figure out how to carry at hippy hollow. No pants, but with a belt? As open a carry as ever there was.

If you go getting all proud and stuff (parading around with nothing but a smile and and XD ) they might hit you with conceited weapon charge

RUNS /DUCKS /HIDES

:D

nonameisgood

If you go getting all proud and stuff (parading around with nothing but a smile and and XD ) they might hit you with conceited weapon charge

RUNS /DUCKS /HIDES

:D

oh my. BWAHAAHAHA

If I get all proud and stiff, the charges might be brandishing - or as the Virginians say GATTTOTP.

bushwacker

so you want to open carry your pistol and your Saturday night special..... well officer , did you want to check to see if I have a permit for this snub nose as well? lol

bushwacker

oh my. BWAHAAHAHA

If I get all proud and stiff, the charges might be brandishing - or as the Virginians say GATTTOTP.

that's ok sir texas allows the open carry of scatter guns and assault style weapons with high capacity spraying features . but it seems to be an automatic? i'm going to cut loose this time because my partner says he thinks it's best if we let the feds handle this one....lol.....

Glockster

I am a bit worried about conference committee stripping the amendment. I thought they had some limitations on how much they could fiddle with the bills. I'm trusting (likely foolishly) that someone on the committee knows better than I.

Man, are my crossed fingers starting to ache!

For what it's worth, during the final moments of the House concurrence vote hearing there were two sets of motions offered from the floor. The first was to direct the House conference committee members to vote in committee to retain the amendment, and that was immediately followed by one to direct them to vote to strip the amendment. That suggests to me that clearly both actions were allowable as there was no point of order raised that either action was not allowable.

nonameisgood

A House Resolution was just handled that released the conferees on HB910 from the rule restricting them to only deal with the controversial test of the two version of this bill. This clears the way for them to approve the conference report.