• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR Lunch

Wstar425

Open carried into lunch at a newly opened restuarant in Rhinelander at what used to be Wolf's Log Cabin. Across from Holiday Express. Been closed for a year or so. Thought I would check it out instead of driving across town.

They seat you, 5 DNR guys with firearms were seated at the first big table, you had to walk past them to get to any table. She walked me by strong side, and seated me with firearm into room. They noticed, I don't think anyone else did. I don't think hostess noticed, if she did she hid it well.

As I got up to leave, they all got up as well and got to cash register just ahead of me. Thanks! When I walked out the door, they were standing just outside to where I had to pretty much walk through their group to exit. Said "Gentlemen, have a good day" but never stopped moving. Got some mumbled responses.

Not sure if that was planned for me, or just a goodbye get together before back to work? No other interaction, food ok, nothing to brag about. Probably won't go back. There is a bar as well in the same building, but left inside door instead of right and two separate rooms.

Law abider

DNR Lunch? Never heard of it. I have heard of a sheriff's lunch where they get together with citizens over a lunch. Hmmm... DNR lunch. Do they serve road kill?

Wstar425

We call them Do Nothing Rangers.

I don't know about paranoia? I was standing 3 feet away at the cash register while they got their receipts, waiting somewhat patiently. When I walked out the door I had two on one side and three on the other with no real option other than to walk right through the middle. I wasn't hunting so not sure what jurisdiction, if any, they had over me. I suppose they were just in no rush to go back to work and do more of nothing.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Is it paranoia when they present indicia of authority?

When I went out to lunch with my co-workers, we made a big deal of de-militarizing ourselves, of removing our ID badges, dosimeters, tool holsters and such. Years later the bartop was still etched with an impromptu telephone directory and notes from our boss.

But you were not a uniformed LEO on duty charge with enforcing the laws of the state at the time.

Wstar425

I have no problem with 5 DNR employees eating lunch while armed. I actually felt safe while I was there. I would not have felt unsafe if they were not there.

I got up to walk across the room to pay my bill before any of them started getting up. Then they got up and were basically standing at the register. I would have offered to let the one single customer pay ahead of our group, if it was me. They didn't do that. I don't know if it was intentional, or just not thought of. Totally innocent, I suspect. I was in no great rush, so I waited patiently. But, I was a little perturbed, I will admit. It was too much money for a not great meal.

Then, when I walked out the door they were all huddled around the entrance to where I had to walk right between them. Less than a foot away from two of them. Nobody moved or stepped back, if I would have brushed one or bumped one, what would have happened?

We're they trying to intimidate me? Was I being paranoid? I suppose I was, to some very small degree. It could very well have all been totally just a coincidence. I suspect it was.

I was talking to the President of a $35 Billion in sales Corporation one time. He said "You don't intimidate too well". Then he fired me.

Last edited:

protias

I don't know about paranoia? I was standing 3 feet away at the cash register while they got their receipts, waiting somewhat patiently. When I walked out the door I had two on one side and three on the other with no real option other than to walk right through the middle. I wasn't hunting so not sure what jurisdiction, if any, they had over me. I suppose they were just in no rush to go back to work and do more of nothing.

DNR has not ability to regulate or inspect the carry of firearms (for self defense). Heck, I would love to see them try to give a reason for "inspecting" your carry firearm when you're hunting.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Thanks for the Report. It is another data point

I think you did well. The report is appreciated. I worked for the DNR several decades ago. At that time the Wardens were an insular and weird organization. I could tell stories...