Thread: Rationale for reading M. Rothbard, The Hermeneutical Invasion of Philosophy and ...

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Rationale for reading M. Rothbard, The Hermeneutical Invasion of Philosophy and ...

Preparing my response to this The Washington Times - TWT - article, The cheap currency of judging historical figures by today’s standards (, I reviewed hermeneutics, the technique of textual interpretation that requires historical contextual valuation. IOW don't judge the past by present standards.

I had occasion to discover this Murray Rothbard article originally in Review of Austrian Economics 3 (1989): 45–59.
    The Hermeneutical Invasion of Philosophy and Economics (1989), Dr. Murray N. Rothbard

Enjoy, Rothbardians, as I have. Maybe I'll read more of him, but there is so little time and so much to read.

I commented on the Washington Times article
    I doubt many progressives can understand or even spell hermeneutics. Read Rothbard, Murray N. 1989. The Hermeneutical Invasion of Philosophy and Economics. "The essential message of deconstructionism and hermeneutics can be variously summed up as nihilism, relativism, and solipsism. That is, either there is no objective truth or, if there is, we can never discover it. With each person being bound to his own subjective views, feelings, history, and so on, there is no method of discovering objective truth."
    LOL And Rothbard cites Popper on Hegel! Popper spent many pages in the harshest criticism of Hegel and his student Marx.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-29-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

Giles County, Virginia
    I'm glad you enjoyed that. (I found it hilarious.) I got a particularly good belly laugh out of his characterization of Popper, which is exceedingly apt and actually quite complimentary (at least, for those who have read Popper):

"What Popper lacks in satiric gifts he makes up in the vehemence of the scorn that he heaps upon the legion of his philosophical enemies, real or imagined."

Rothbard isn't to be neglected, in my estimation. His work is (or ought to be) every bit as important as Popper.
    Last edited by marshaul; 05-29-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by g21sfpistol View Post
    ill draw just as fast or faster than someone with a OC holster.