Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposal: MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE for gun owners

Proposal: MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE for gun owners

BOHICA ALERT!!!

NY congresswoman would mandate liability insurance for gun owners

Anti-gun New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney today introduced legislation that would mandate liability insurance for gun owners and fine them up to $10,000 if they don’t have it, according to The Hill.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ny-c...for-gun-owners

New York state...who wudda thunk it.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy D-NY eyes requiring gun liability insurance.

The cost and coverage of liability insurance is determined by the market and statistical expectation, not by legislative fiat. Further, without registration, who will be required to have such insurance of the ~100 million existing gun owners owning ~300 million guns. It's a progressive pipedream from smoking too much of his medical marijuana. MOLON LABE, it's so much more than merely arms.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...iring-gun-lia/

https://disqus.com/embed/comments/?b...ing-gun-lia%2F
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

What is she gonna do when she finds out that would be the cheapest insurance ever? Most insurance policies do not cover unlawful acts so the liability insurance would only cover accidents and since there are so few accidents the insurance cost would be next to nothing.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    What is she gonna do when she finds out that would be the cheapest insurance ever? Most insurance policies do not cover unlawful acts so the liability insurance would only cover accidents and since there are so few accidents the insurance cost would be next to nothing.
    Why, find another way to ignore enumerated rights, of course.

Maybe we need a constitutional amendment requiring NY and CA state legislators to carry malpractice insurance.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

If it is to be mandatory, then registration is needed as a prerequisite to keep track of compliance, of course! That being their goal all along!
    Last edited by OC4me; 05-29-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    If it is to be mandatory, then registration is needed as a prerequisite to keep track of compliance, of course! That being their goal all along!
    Oooohhh snap! And there is a moment of truth. I missed that in the OP. Good eye.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    I carry a $1 million umbrella on my homeowners/renters policy which gives me something like $1.35 million coverage, cost is something like $5 every 6 months, cheaper than a Big Mac these days. Why everyone doesn't is beyond me, started doing it when I owned acreage in case a trespasser got hurt and sued.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I carry a $1 million umbrella on my homeowners/renters policy which gives me something like $1.35 million coverage, cost is something like $5 every 6 months, cheaper than a Big Mac these days. Why everyone doesn't is beyond me, started doing it when I owned acreage in case a trespasser got hurt and sued.
    I have $1 mill umbrella personally and that plus as an officer in my business with some litigation riders for specific issues. I had to up my car insurance liability and some other things to get it though so while the umbrella isn't very expensive, upping the other insurances to get it is where most of the cost hides. Perhaps that is why more people don't obtain it.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Homeowners' liability does only cover accidents. However, there is another type of insurance that might be considered - tort liability insurance.

Before she became my ex I covered her with a $5 Million dollar policy as a rider to the homeowners - she was a special education teacher and there was more than slight risk there. Cost something like $12/month. I carried $25 Million tort liability insurance for the outrageous price of $25/month. The risk for my occupation was very much higher.

Tort liability coverage is based on the actuarial assessment of your actually committing a tort. What does that work out to for all gun owners as an aggregate group? Then let's try to separate out only those that keep/bear arms for personal protection (as if that could realistically be done). Out of all members of that group, what percentage could be expected to commit a tort?

There remains the question of whether any insurance company/consortium would even underwrite any policy for gun owners. Lloyd's is known for covering just about any risk because they spread it out over a large number of underwriters. When they insured Marilyn Monroe's legs it was mostly a publicity stunt and the movie folks probably insisted on a high premium for the additional publicity that would create. (Not that Lloyd's was not happy to take the money.) But what happens to this scheme (not a new one by any means) if commercial underwriting is not available? Will the .gov provide the insurance, like they do with FDIC for banks? IIRC the past time or two that was suggested it was cut down almost immediately as a political hot potato - nobody wanted to vote for using taxpayer money to insure gun owners.

I say letCongresscritter Maloney bring it on. It may be the best way to get her out of office at the next election as well as send a message to the rest of the Congress that there are limits which they must not approach, let alone cross.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    BOHICA ALERT!!!

NY congresswoman would mandate liability insurance for gun owners

Anti-gun New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney today introduced legislation that would mandate liability insurance for gun owners and fine them up to $10,000 if they don’t have it, according to The Hill.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ny-c...for-gun-owners
    Oh, God. Yet another blitheringly idiotic liberal Democrat trying to "protect" everyone from themselves.

Sounds to me like it's her way of getting around the fact that a lawful self defense shooting results in the shooter walking while leaving most of her constituents boo-hooing over the "injustice" done by ending the life of violent criminal.

Listen to this: "In 2014, she joined with Senator Ed Markey in sending a letter to President Barack Obama asking him to insert $10 million into the budget for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention to resume research on gun violence and “conduct scientific research on the causes and prevention of gun violence."

Apparently, she's either unaware the CDC completed their original study and concluded much of what we already know, or she didn't like the results.

Either way, with the statistical likelihood of an encounter roughly once in a hundred years, any sort of "insurance" would be notoriously difficult to calculate.

Second, I am not a fan of compulsory insurance. My only exception would be for communal activity that's likely to result in damage or harm to others, such as driving on community roads and highways, apartment living, etc. Furthermore, I fully support insurance being tied to the responsibility factor. In other words, folks who build on a flood plain should fully pay for the significantly increased premium. That cost should never be spread to those wise enough to build or buy in safer regions. Same goes for numbskulls who built million-dollar homes on hurricane-prone beaches. The only problem is that the way the insurance industry is set up, they may pay a slight premium for their folly, but the vast majority of that premium is spread out over the insurance base.

I know what many of you are thinking: "That's the way it's supposed to work."

Wrong.

Insurance works when people who are relatively equally at risk pool that risk. That way, if any of them are hit by catastrophe, they all pay a tiny fraction of the cost, and that cost is commensurate with their individual risk. Pooled risk doesn't reduce the probabilistic cost. It reduces the actual cost if you're the one unlucky enough to have the spun dial land on your address.

Sharing risk across vastly different levels of risk, however, violates the entire concept. It's no longer pooled risk. Rather, it's robbing smart Peter to pay for stupid and foolish Paul.

Or, since most of the folks who engage in vastly more risky behavior like building mansions on beaches are rich, it's more like robbing smart but not well-off average citizens to pay for the extravagant excesses of wealthy people.

Historically speaking, Democrats have been at this form of grift in myriads of forms for well over a century.

There is near-zero risk in carrying a firearm. The only risk involves using that firearm. If you're well-trained, the risk to you is very low, as you will in all likelihood be exonerated, meaning that your shoot was within the law and should never come back to bite you in any way. You didn't perpetrate the criminal action. You merely defended yourself against it. The criminal broke the law, not you. He should bear the full weight of his crime, not you.

When you're forced to pay insurance for following the law, supposedly to provide for the criminals or their families when they break it, you're being ROBBED.

Anti-gun New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney is attempting to ROB you, the same as would her criminal constituents.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    SNIP JUST FOR SPACE
    When you're forced to pay insurance for following the law, supposedly to provide for the criminals or their families when they break it, you're being ROBBED.

Anti-gun New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney is attempting to ROB you, the same as would her criminal constituents.
    Well said, since9. Nice post.

Congress Eyes Requiring Gun Owners to Carry Liability Insurance

I hope this amounts to nothing. Another attempt to disarm us law abiding Wisconsinites at the federal level. I believe a majority of law abiding CCLers do have some form of protection already. Now we all know that whenever government gets its paws into whatever it usually creates a problem. In this case like with Obummer care it will increase insurance costs by federal mandates. Is this for real? Don't they have something better to do, like wear white gloves for once?

From the Minutemen: http://minutemennews.com/2015/05/fre...ity-insurance/
    Last edited by Law abider; 06-01-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Another back door attempt at registration > confiscation. Expect this to gain little traction.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Even if it passed, which it won't, I suspect the vast majority of gun owners would not participate even though it was the law.
    How could it possibly be enforced?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

They require us to buy health insurance to breathe American air. This is not much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Even if it passed, which it won't, I suspect the vast majority of gun owners would not participate even though it was the law.
    How could it possibly be enforced?

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I have $1 mill umbrella personally and that plus as an officer in my business with some litigation riders for specific issues. I had to up my car insurance liability and some other things to get it though so while the umbrella isn't very expensive, upping the other insurances to get it is where most of the cost hides. Perhaps that is why more people don't obtain it.
    I have always carried more than the minimum on things like vehicle medical, uninsured motorist etc so I already had the minimum for an umbrella; I was an insurance agent in an other life and seen people screwed up for carrying minimum coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I have always carried more than the minimum on things like vehicle medical, uninsured motorist etc so I already had the minimum for an umbrella; I was an insurance agent in an other life and seen people screwed up for carrying minimum coverage.
    My wife is an agent so we also had quite a bit more than the minimum but still had to increase some limits to get the umbrella we wanted. I understand it differs some between companies.

That being said, I'm not sure it makes sense for everyone or even most. As we have been more successful we have increased limits but also deductibles. As a small business owner/officer I do carry more insurance than I would if I was employed by someone else.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Well there is that.

"I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Another back door attempt at registration > confiscation. Expect this to gain little traction.
    Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Are you sure?
    Well, if Obama care can invoke a "tax" for not having insurance, wouldn't this mean that forcing one to have insurance/tax in order to exercise a protected right be unconstitutional?

As Grapeshot has said, I fear that dog won't hunt.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Carolyn McCarthy retired in January 2015. I have not found a recent bill co/sponsored by her. Perhaps someone could name this dog that won't hunt so that we may see its status. I'll bet the stories are boogerman stories and such a bill was never introduced.

Try thomas.loc.gov

Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Are you sure?
    Yep and I don't stand alone on my thinking either.

New York Democrat Carolyn B. Maloney showed her allegiance to some of her biggest campaign backers Friday by proposing legislation that would require gun owners to buy blatantly unconstitutional liability insurance:........
    ....Maloney has a proven track record of being dishonest, and a record of hating the right to bear arms, including another bill recently to build a de facto database of gun owners.

Fortunately, the congresswoman’s bills have no chance of getting anywhere in a Republican-dominated House and Senate.

http://bearingarms.com/house-democra...nsurance-bill/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast