• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposal: MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE for gun owners

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Another back door attempt at registration > confiscation. Expect this to gain little traction.
Are you sure?
Yep and I don't stand alone on my thinking either.

New York Democrat Carolyn B. Maloney showed her allegiance to some of her biggest campaign backers Friday by proposing legislation that would require gun owners to buy blatantly unconstitutional liability insurance:........
....Maloney has a proven track record of being dishonest, and a record of hating the right to bear arms, including another bill recently to build a de facto database of gun owners.

Fortunately, the congresswoman’s bills have no chance of getting anywhere in a Republican-dominated House and Senate.

http://bearingarms.com/house-democr...ompanies-pushes-mandatory-gun-insurance-bill/

utbagpiper

Banned
If I may go slightly astray from the OP:

It strikes me that liability limits for gun owners--especially those who are victims of theft or who act in lawful self-defense--might be worth considering as a legislative goal.

Does anyone know of any States with any such liability limits?

Federal law provides protections for manufacturers against being held liable for the illegal use of their products.

I believe Utah law provides protection against civil suits if it is determined a person acted lawfully when he used his gun.

I need to go look for citations. Does anyone have any cites to what might be model language?

Thanks

Charles

Dave Workman

MORE FOOLISHNESS:

:banghead::banghead:

Stuck on stupid: Capitol Hill antis unveil another ‘smart’ gun scheme

Anti-gun New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney was joined yesterday by Massachusetts Sen. Edward Markey for the introduction of yet another so-called “smart gun” scheme, this one dubbed the Handgun Trigger Safety Act, which mandates the exclusive manufacture of so-called “personalized handguns,” according to The Hill.

http://www.examiner.com/article/stuck-on-stupid-capitol-hill-antis-unveil-another-smart-gun-scheme

Law abider

Yep and I don't stand alone on my thinking either.

New York Democrat Carolyn B. Maloney showed her allegiance to some of her biggest campaign backers Friday by proposing legislation that would require gun owners to buy blatantly unconstitutional liability insurance:........
....Maloney has a proven track record of being dishonest, and a record of hating the right to bear arms, including another bill recently to build a de facto database of gun owners.

Fortunately, the congresswoman’s bills have no chance of getting anywhere in a Republican-dominated House and Senate.

http://bearingarms.com/house-democr...ompanies-pushes-mandatory-gun-insurance-bill/

Once again wealthy lobbyists in this case our insurance companies using our premium monies are trying to get more government mandated business. Thus at the same time Dems see this as a way to register our guns. Right, Grapeshot?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
MORE FOOLISHNESS:

:banghead::banghead:

Stuck on stupid: Capitol Hill antis unveil another ‘smart’ gun scheme

Anti-gun New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney was joined yesterday by Massachusetts Sen. Edward Markey for the introduction of yet another so-called “smart gun” scheme, this one dubbed the Handgun Trigger Safety Act, which mandates the exclusive manufacture of so-called “personalized handguns,” according to The Hill.

http://www.examiner.com/article/stuck-on-stupid-capitol-hill-antis-unveil-another-smart-gun-scheme

This is the second time in a week that Maloney has floated a gun control measure that, according to critics, is a non-starter. That measure would require every gun owner to carry liability insurance.

Last edited:

JustJack

Why is it that the right to bear arms, the one that specifically says "shall not be infringed", seems to be the only right it's ok to infringe? Licenses and permits, registries and regulations. Now they want insurance? If you use your firearm justly and legally no one will be able to file a claim, if you use it unjustly and illegally you're already made to pay in money, your time (jail for the slow folks), and possibly your life. What does insurance do, but place another barrier in the way of those who would follow the law to begin with? No criminal is going to buy insurance for the gun they can't legally have to begin with.