Thread: Silk Road: Businessman sentenced to life in prison

Silk Road: Businessman sentenced to life in prison

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/ny...ison.html?_r=0

Incredible. I thought that maybe that this was a judge in Singapore or Kuwait. Alas, it's in the good old USSA. All those dirty looks I get when I stay seated during the national anthem.... Back at you.

The victim should have known that his letter of defense (the truth) to the "judge" would have sent him into a statist rage.
    Last edited by 77zach; 05-29-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Founder's Club Member
    Dang! Subscription required.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Not when I read it an hour or two ago. ETA: Nor just now. I'll PM it. Two PM's it's so big.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-29-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Not when I read it an hour or two ago. ETA: Nor just now.
    You're right! Log in required, as compared to subscription. My mistake.
    Last edited by Citizen; 05-29-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    You're right! Log in required, as compared to subscription. My mistake.
    LOL Evidently it was still too big and didn't go through. But, no login and no subscription, no NYT cookies stored here and Ghostery reported only two common tracking cookies blocked. I run ABP, Privacy Badger and Ghostery in Firefox Never Remember mode.

I can see the text and a bit of sidebar with just allowing NYT.com in NoScript. I'm not sure how much I could copy and paste and still stay in fair use. The "juicy" parts are mixed throughout.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

The State does not tolerate competition to its own monopolies.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Travesty of justice.

I guess we of society have to accept the judges rulings since they speak for us on what rights are.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I've erased four or five comments trying to stay within the bounds of OCDO. I'll simply go with:

He should be free. He saved lives by reducing the dangers inherent in participating in a black market brought upon us by a government run amok.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim675 View Post
    I've erased four or five comments trying to stay within the bounds of OCDO. I'll simply go with:

He should be free. He saved lives by reducing the dangers inherent in participating in a black market brought upon us by a government run amok.
    That's a great point Jim. I was just thinking of people being free to do what they want. Yet that is very important, how many people will now die or have died due to the closing of the free market he provided.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Some of the conversation here is too close to violating forum rule #15.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

How is this thread in any way related to Open Carry?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    How is this thread in any way related to Open Carry?
    The topics for the Social Lounge are much broader.

Years ago John and the moderators had quite a fight on their hands trying to limit new threads to the main forum focus. Finally, John and a couple other posters realized it would be easier to channel off-topic threads instead of stop them. Thus, the Social Lounge was born.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    The topics for the Social Lounge are much broader.

Years ago John and the moderators had quite a fight on their hands trying to limit new threads to the main forum focus. Finally, John and a couple other posters realized it would be easier to channel off-topic threads instead of stop them. Thus, the Social Lounge was born.
    True within some limits.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    That's a great point Jim. I was just thinking of people being free to do what they want. Yet that is very important, how many people will now die or have died due to the closing of the free market he provided.
    From what I read, his lawyers made that argument about the reduced danger the Silk Road provided, and the Judge's "rebuttal" was that it didn't reduce ALL the danger involved, so any benefit gained from such an enterprise was inconsequential.

If Ross Ulbritch is sentenced to die in a cage for causing "destruction to the fabric of our society," then what shall be the fate of the bankers who admitted to manipulating currency trends for personal gain? What will happen to the politicians that embezzle, traffic drugs and diddle with minors/have affairs? What will be the fate of Judges who decide to use the law for a personal vendetta instead of impartial justice?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    SNIP If Ross Ulbritch is sentenced to die in a cage for causing "destruction to the fabric of our society," then what shall be the fate of the bankers who admitted to manipulating currency trends for personal gain? What will happen to the politicians that embezzle, traffic drugs and diddle with minors/have affairs?

+1

What will be the fate of politicians and bankers when they destroy the economy of this country and others with an already un-repayable national debt that goes into default? Start foreign wars on flimsy pretenses, killing thousands of innocents, killing a few thousand American troops, and maiming thousands more?

What will be the fate of the government people who destroy the fabric of our society by imposing a failed educational system?

Ever seen fabric worn by flapping in a breeze like an old American Flag, the flag end hem frays and becomes ragged, the stripes separate. The metaphor for society is just too apt. And all due to a mere breeze, sunshine and time.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    This is one of the saddest stories. I've followed it awhile and knew it was coming. It's sickening.
    An idea like the Silk Road was the quintessence of real liberty.
    FFS just yesterday I saw in the news in Va a woman got 8 years for murdering her new born twins.
    2 life sentences for Ulbricht? A dark dark enterprise is our justice system.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand