• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silk Road: Businessman sentenced to life in prison

77zach

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/n...site-is-sentenced-to-life-in-prison.html?_r=0

Incredible. I thought that maybe that this was a judge in Singapore or Kuwait. Alas, it's in the good old USSA. All those dirty looks I get when I stay seated during the national anthem.... Back at you.

The victim should have known that his letter of defense (the truth) to the "judge" would have sent him into a statist rage.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I can see the text and a bit of sidebar with just allowing NYT.com in NoScript. I'm not sure how much I could copy and paste and still stay in fair use. The "juicy" parts are mixed throughout.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I've erased four or five comments trying to stay within the bounds of OCDO. I'll simply go with:

He should be free. He saved lives by reducing the dangers inherent in participating in a black market brought upon us by a government run amok.

sudden valley gunner

I've erased four or five comments trying to stay within the bounds of OCDO. I'll simply go with:

He should be free. He saved lives by reducing the dangers inherent in participating in a black market brought upon us by a government run amok.

That's a great point Jim. I was just thinking of people being free to do what they want. Yet that is very important, how many people will now die or have died due to the closing of the free market he provided.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
How is this thread in any way related to Open Carry?

The topics for the Social Lounge are much broader.

Years ago John and the moderators had quite a fight on their hands trying to limit new threads to the main forum focus. Finally, John and a couple other posters realized it would be easier to channel off-topic threads instead of stop them. Thus, the Social Lounge was born.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The topics for the Social Lounge are much broader.

Years ago John and the moderators had quite a fight on their hands trying to limit new threads to the main forum focus. Finally, John and a couple other posters realized it would be easier to channel off-topic threads instead of stop them. Thus, the Social Lounge was born.

True within some limits.

PistolPackingMomma

That's a great point Jim. I was just thinking of people being free to do what they want. Yet that is very important, how many people will now die or have died due to the closing of the free market he provided.

From what I read, his lawyers made that argument about the reduced danger the Silk Road provided, and the Judge's "rebuttal" was that it didn't reduce ALL the danger involved, so any benefit gained from such an enterprise was inconsequential.

If Ross Ulbritch is sentenced to die in a cage for causing "destruction to the fabric of our society," then what shall be the fate of the bankers who admitted to manipulating currency trends for personal gain? What will happen to the politicians that embezzle, traffic drugs and diddle with minors/have affairs? What will be the fate of Judges who decide to use the law for a personal vendetta instead of impartial justice?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP If Ross Ulbritch is sentenced to die in a cage for causing "destruction to the fabric of our society," then what shall be the fate of the bankers who admitted to manipulating currency trends for personal gain? What will happen to the politicians that embezzle, traffic drugs and diddle with minors/have affairs?

+1

What will be the fate of politicians and bankers when they destroy the economy of this country and others with an already un-repayable national debt that goes into default? Start foreign wars on flimsy pretenses, killing thousands of innocents, killing a few thousand American troops, and maiming thousands more?

What will be the fate of the government people who destroy the fabric of our society by imposing a failed educational system?

twoskinsonemanns

This is one of the saddest stories. I've followed it awhile and knew it was coming. It's sickening.
An idea like the Silk Road was the quintessence of real liberty.
FFS just yesterday I saw in the news in Va a woman got 8 years for murdering her new born twins.
2 life sentences for Ulbricht? A dark dark enterprise is our justice system.