• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crimes by LEO versus CCW holders

NomadMan

While researching Mississippi's laws concerning open carry, I came across this very enlightening comment.

I [AG Jim Hood] conducted a year-long study last year (2013) in Mississippi and identified 32 police officers charged and convicted of crimes ranging from larceny to murder in only one year. However, the Mississippi Highway Patrol was unable to find any incidents where a concealed firearms permit holder had committed a crime or had their permits revoked for misconduct. Police officers, including those in Florence need to know this.

Source: http://www.mississippigunnews.com/2...an-open-carry-of-firearms-even-in-courtrooms/

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
While that sounds like a very high year for LEOs caught, finding that CC LAC have a lower crime rate than LEO fits with other research over the years.

NomadMan

I used to have some stats on that issue supporting your comment but that was a few computers ago and is probably on a backup drive somewhere.

I had heard, and I did some research on my own to verify it, that more Americans are killed by police each year than American soldiers in the Middle East.

Our police forces are completely out of control and out of touch with reality. Combine that with the militarization of the police and we have a real problem on our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utbagpiper

Banned
I had heard, and I did some research on my own to verify it, that more Americans are killed by police each year than American soldiers in the Middle East.

Our police forces are completely out of control and out of touch with reality. Combine that with the militarization of the police and we have a real problem on our hands.

There are some 14,000 homicides each year in this nation. One group claims nearly 300,000 rapes and sexual assaults each year in this nation.

Police kill about 372 persons in this nation each year. LACs kill about 280 each year in justifiable homicides (mostly self-defense).

About 56 officers die each year in the line of duty (many from traffic crashes), while over 14,000 are injured from assaults.

We have some very violent criminals in this nation. Some of them assault LACs. A few of these end up with LACs being able to defend themselves.

Some others assault cops who are generally able to defend themselves.

Are there problems in policing in this nation? Sure. And those problems need to be fixed.

Are the police "completely out of control and out of touch with reality?" That is neither my personal experience interacting with both cops I've never met before and with friends who are peace officers, nor do I believe objective numbers back up that claim.

Charles

solus

There are some 14,000 12,664 (2011) homicides each year in this nation. One group claims nearly 300,000 83,425 rapes and sexual assaults each year in this nation.

Police kill about 372 1240 persons in this nation each year. LACs kill about 280 each year in justifiable homicides (mostly self-defense).

About 56 76 officers die each year in the line of duty (49 died in accidents 23 many from traffic crashes), while over 14,000 49,851 are injured from assaults.

Snip...firgured since the figures quoted were wrong so must the conclusions drawn and discussion on them.

Charles

F I X E D T H A T F O R ya piper cuz i knew readers would never get a viable cite(s) from you and the self serving numbers you posted. posting the number of rapes from a site which is in the business of emotionally biasing their position is just wrong.

i was unable to verify your claim of officer killing citizens because apparently from my read of the bureau of justice statistics site http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5260 they are playing with words as evidenced in their 25 page quality profile technical report http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/ardpdqp.pdf generated...wordsmith at its finest...doesn't provide one set of quantifiable numbers.

updated 150531 0951L: quote Although Congress instructed the Attorney General in 1994 to compile and publish annual statistics on police use of excessive force, this was never carried out, and the FBI does not collect these data either.[1] The annual average number of justifiable homicides alone was previously estimated to be near 400.[2] Updated estimates from the Bureau of Justice Statistics released in 2015 estimate the number to be around 930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that nonreporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies.[3] unquote. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_States
that stated piper, where did you get your figures for this segue of your hyperbole as you are as bad as Bloomberg's charges!!

quote: FBI's homicide numbers http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8 unquote
quote:
According to statistics collected by the FBI, 76 law enforcement officers were killed in line-of-duty incidents in 2013. Of these, 27 law enforcement officers died as a result of felonious acts, and 49 officers died in accidents. In addition, 49,851 officers were victims of line-of-duty assaults.

Of the 49 officers accidentally killed, 23 died as a result of automobile accidents, nine were struck by vehicles, four officers died in motorcycle accidents, four officers were killed in falls, two were accidentally shot, two drowned, one died in an aircraft accident, and four officers died in other types of duty-related accidents. Seatbelt usage was reported for 22 of the 23 officers killed in automobile accidents. Of these, 14 officers were not wearing seatbelts, three of whom were seated in parked patrol vehicles. Eight officers were wearing their seatbelts at the times of the accidents.

Of the nearly 49,851 officers assaulted during 2013, the largest percentage of victim officers (31.2 percent) were responding to disturbance calls (family quarrels, bar fights, etc.) when the incidents occurred. unquote
http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...law-enforcement-officers-killed-and-assaulted

quote: Forcible rape, as defined in the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, is the carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will. Attempts or assaults to commit rape by force or threat of force are also included; however, statutory rape (without force) and other sex offenses are excluded.

There were an estimated 83,425 forcible rapes reported to law enforcement in 2011. unquote
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...-in-the-u.s.-2011/violent-crime/forcible-rape

ipse

Last edited: