• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sb 17 saves the day?

nonameisgood

The state may be ripe for constitutional/unlicensed carry in a year and half, if the open carriers in the interim are well behaved and safe. Going straight from licensed concealed only to "everyone carries in the open" is a big jump. Don't underestimate the value of fear of guns and people who like guns among legislators and voters. Let's see how things go. Based on the ability of people to be unreasonable, including some of those who count themselves as open carry advocates, I think I'm OK with starting with this small step.

bushwacker

The state may be ripe for constitutional/unlicensed carry in a year and half, if the open carriers in the interim are well behaved and safe. Going straight from licensed concealed only to "everyone carries in the open" is a big jump. Don't underestimate the value of fear of guns and people who like guns among legislators and voters. Let's see how things go. Based on the ability of people to be unreasonable, including some of those who count themselves as open carry advocates, I think I'm OK with starting with this small step.

Im surely ok with the small steps ,I just think that it discriminates against all the other americans that haven't paid rent on their 2nd amendment rights,however it will probably generate money for the stateby others that are interested to also open carry, and we know that those funds could go to a better cause like removing school taxes from our property taxes like the lottery did .....ummm ... I mean was suppose to. but for me it means that I will soon be able to travel from the florida line to the cali line in open carry fashion. ..finally filling that 886 mile gap.

nonameisgood

To be clear, the goal of free and open carry is where we need to be headed. But the long absence of handguns in most people's daily experience means we collectively need to relearn the do's and dont's and etiquette. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bushwacker

Incrementalism works. That's how they infringed our rights in the first place.

yeah I travel for a living and have often said that if you live in an open carry state and don't open carry then you are just helping the anti guns agenda on keeping the people brainwashed in thinking that only the fuzz and security guards are the only ones that's suppose to have guns....why do folks freak at the site of the john Q open carrying ? because they are not use to seeing that. but they will get use to it.

WalkingWolf

To be clear, the goal of free and open carry is where we need to be headed. But the long absence of handguns in most people's daily experience means we collectively need to relearn the do's and dont's and etiquette. .

Personally I do not see much difference. People who pay for something tend to use it, they pay for concealed carry. NC before the OC movement took a big hit with CHP passing in 95, and NC had been a unlicensed OC state for decades. Even today there is not as much OC, as there was pre 95.

Yes some people will OC, a large segment will either continue to LGOC, antique firearm, or get a permit and conceal carry. I also look for some confusion and arrests while some are still exercising their 2A rights without a permit. IMO it is confusing by the way it was reported, LEO's will now believe all forms of OC must have a permit. IMO SB17 if not passed within the next year or two will die, non permitted OC will die, just like OC died in SC.

When it comes to government I am a pessimist.

nonameisgood

LGOC is a non issue. Fringe of the fringe for anything except hunting and sporting activity, as intended.
LE will know exactly what is required, and they already know this only involves handguns. They can act like they don't but they know. The rule change was a simple one.
The legislature in Texas meets for half a year every other year, so it will be 18 months before anything new happens (except for the requisite lobbying.)

WalkingWolf

LGOC is a non issue. Fringe of the fringe for anything except hunting and sporting activity, as intended.
LE will know exactly what is required, and they already know this only involves handguns. They can act like they don't but they know. The rule change was a simple one.
The legislature in Texas meets for half a year every other year, so it will be 18 months before anything new happens (except for the requisite lobbying.)

LGOC is fringe?

And LE will know exactly what is required?

Sorry but I had to get up off the floor from laughing.

Just a simple question, how and why was OCT founded?

Last edited:

nonameisgood

LGOC is fringe around here. I have not once seen anyone who was not involved in a protest, hunting, or headed to the range or field, just walking around doing things like shopping or taking an evening walk in the city (And let's face it, the controversy over OC is entirely a city issue... even during the OC debate here, the democrats would have given in if we had excluded Dallas, Austin, Houston...)

WalkingWolf

LGOC is fringe around here. I have not once seen anyone who was not involved in a protest, hunting, or headed to the range or field, just walking around doing things like shopping or taking an evening walk in the city (And let's face it, the controversy over OC is entirely a city issue... even during the OC debate here, the democrats would have given in if we had excluded Dallas, Austin, Houston...)

Seems we have heard that before, and that of course would be from anti gunners.

nonameisgood

The difference is that they seek to take away the "unused", and "dangerous" whereas I am simply observing. Progressives are looking for opportunities to take away freedom in the name of safety, urbanism, and equality. The usual mantra is "all equal, but some more equal than others."

WalkingWolf

The difference is that they seek to take away the "unused", and "dangerous" whereas I am simply observing. Progressives are looking for opportunities to take away freedom in the name of safety, urbanism, and equality. The usual mantra is "all equal, but some more equal than others."

You can tell yourself that, but when you parrot their fears, you in fact are legitimizing taking away. And that is the very reason Texas got stuck with licensed open carry, and the section to protect OCers from harassment was removed.

solus

You can tell yourself that, but when you parrot their fears, you in fact are legitimizing taking away. And that is the very reason Texas got stuck with licensed open carry, and the section to protect OCers from harassment was removed.

OUCH WW, that was like pulling the bandade off covering a boo boo w/o giving warning.

course WW the sharp pain needs to be done to expose the wound for inspection but if perchance the inspector doesn't heed the infection spreading and take steps to treat it, the exercise and associated pain goes for naught!!

the presupposition is of course, this action is a start, attached to a privilege card & possible citizen harassment notwithstanding, but we can, of course, change it some time in the future... maybe, perhaps...hope so!!

(changes to OC statutes haven't been accomplished or successful in NM, CO ~ Denver, other states, but maybe some time in the future!!)

ipse

Last edited:

nonameisgood

We obviously view things differently. I have many friends and acquaintances who need training before they strap on a hog leg. They have never spent any time around guns except, maybe, one evening on a range. Now that we have OC, and they start gaining interest in the subject and learning things about guns and self defense other than what Hollywood shows, the real education begins. I would venture to say that at least 75% of Texans don't really know much, if anything, about guns or using them, despite probably having "dad's shotgun" in the closet for years. We do not have the gun culture that most people seem to think exists here. Again, this is a city perspective. You don't hand car keys to a 16 year old who has never been in a car.

WalkingWolf

Awww now the P4P mandated training song and dance. I know people with permits who are total idiots. In fact there is not a day that I go to town that some moron will stop me to show me his concealed gun, sometimes taking it out of the holster. In NC the safe people are those without mandated training.

Maybe you would like to explain all those government agents with more mandated training then LAC who shoot themselves?

Trainig does not make idiots~non idiots~it makes them idiots with training.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

As I said previously, once people have exposure to these things, their parents talk about it with them, and the culture is such that people honestly talk about guns and self defense, training won't be needed. But as it stands, few people understand the issues around carry and discharge of a weapon. Give it two years. This will let people see how little trouble carriers are and how safe they are.
As it is, when people learn that I carry, the conversation starts. I always lead with why I carry and the implications of carrying that lead to the "is carrying a gun right for me" assessment. Those opportunities will come much more frequently after Jan 1

WalkingWolf

As I said previously, once people have exposure to these things, their parents talk about it with them, and the culture is such that people honestly talk about guns and self defense, training won't be needed. But as it stands, few people understand the issues around carry and discharge of a weapon. Give it two years. This will let people see how little trouble carriers are and how safe they are.
As it is, when people learn that I carry, the conversation starts. I always lead with why I carry and the implications of carrying that lead to the "is carrying a gun right for me" assessment. Those opportunities will come much more frequently after Jan 1

IMO you are wrong, anybody with a brain knows guns are deadly, and the ones that don't, training will never change that. Where is the carnage in Arizona? Alaska? Why is there so many stupid gun owners in Florida? A training state, even Texas the incidents that have come to light, are those WITH PERMITS.

I never justify why I am carrying, and quite frankly it is none of my business why other people carry. The biggest problem with this country is busy body, nosy, intrusive government, followed directly by people of the same nature.

People who believe that government is responsible for their safety, are usually not responsible, or safe.

Last edited: