• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sb 17 saves the day?

solus

As I said previously, once people have exposure to these things, their parents talk about it with them, and the culture is such that people honestly talk about guns and self defense, training won't be needed. But as it stands, few people understand the issues around carry and discharge of a weapon. Give it two years. This will let people see how little trouble carriers are and how safe they are.
As it is, when people learn that I carry, the conversation starts. I always lead with why I carry and the implications of carrying that lead to the "is carrying a gun right for me" assessment. Those opportunities will come much more frequently after Jan 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but noname, the unrealistic rhetoric being bantered about centering on comments: 'oh we will get unfettered OC off the privilege card during the next couple of legislative sessions' and those who pooh paw'g the significant harassment risk those who do OC w/their privilege card face from the nice LEs and politicians who use the lack of an amendment to posture their own agendas...kinda like was done by the political grandstanding over the bill(s) this session.

i do feel, you personally, have the breath and depth of solid optimism to OC while trying to spread the word...alas this harassment, perceived or real, will keep many, but the most brave at heart from OC'g thus mitigating any type of public edification to the concept.

please know i bid you and your ilk, nothing but the best in dealing with the challenges ahead. i am sincerely hopefully the follies of the past campaigns won't be repeated in future endeavors to secure your unfettered OC rights.

ipse

HPmatt

I think having the oppty to OC handguns back and forth to ROVA for 3 years while daughter was in college has made me much more comfortable w Concept to OC here in Dallas. Doing it where it is an everyday thing (the rest of non-TX south) is one thing; it will certainly be interesting plowing new ground OC with retail businesses here in urban, democrat-controlled County of Dallas. Can't wait to roll into my local Chase bank branch.

Last edited:

bushwacker

I think having the oppty to OC handguns back and forth to ROVA for 3 years while daughter was in college has made me much more comfortable w Concept to OC here in Dallas. Doing it where it is an everyday thing (the rest of non-TX south) is one thing; it will certainly be interesting plowing new ground OC with retail businesses here in urban, democrat-controlled County of Dallas. Can't wait to roll into my local Chase bank branch.

why wait ..when you can do the black powder thing now.

nonameisgood

IMO you are wrong, anybody with a brain knows guns are deadly, and the ones that don't, training will never change that. Where is the carnage in Arizona? Alaska? Why is there so many stupid gun owners in Florida? A training state, even Texas the incidents that have come to light, are those WITH PERMITS.
But we don't want people to respond with the visceral "guns are dangerous", we want them to have the curiosity of a child and actually listen to reasoned answer to questions.
Arizona has had open carry for a long time. It is in the zeitgeist, unlike in Texas.

I never justify why I am carrying, and quite frankly it is none of my business why other people carry. The biggest problem with this country is busy body, nosy, intrusive government, followed directly by people of the same nature.

People who believe that government is responsible for their safety, are usually not responsible, or safe.

I didn't say I felt a need to justify my actions, only that curious people (and busy bodies) have much to learn from a cordial, honest conversation about guns. A conversation that doesn't start out about fear or danger.

bushwacker

Mike of the cop-stop language stripped from open carry bill thread has some very good points to keep in mind and info to tell the officer that stops you. ... may put some doubt in his mind if you was to say this is the reason they didn't need amendment 9 is because stopping just for licensing check is already covered in blah,blah,blah, do you wish to continue with violations in these areas?....but remember it helps to be informative while saying as little as possible.

bushwacker

My grandma was the 10th kid so I don't have my great grandpa's service revolver - Company J 5th Batallion Florida Cavalry. :(
couldn't find anything on company j of the 5th all I found was on company b now from what little I read there is reenactments of the 5Th battalion florida cavalry ... are you in on some of those?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
LGOC is fringe around here. I have not once seen anyone who was not involved in a protest, hunting, or headed to the range or field, just walking around doing things like shopping or taking an evening walk in the city (And let's face it, the controversy over OC is entirely a city issue... even during the OC debate here, the democrats would have given in if we had excluded Dallas, Austin, Houston...)

And it'll continue to be fringe until more people do it, then it won't be fringe anymore...

Using the excuse that "it's fringe" to discourage doing the very thing that makes it not fringe anymore seems counter productive.