• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the Massanutten area

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Any Virginia locals have any info on the general feel of the Massanutten area, in regards to open carry? Taking two vacations this year and the second one will be to Massanutten. I possess both a Pa. LTCF and Utah CFL, which are both good in Virginia for conceal carry.

Also, any tips on things to do or see in the area will be greatly appreciated!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Any Virginia locals have any info on the general feel of the Massanutten area, in regards to open carry? Taking two vacations this year and the second one will be to Massanutten. I possess both a Pa. LTCF and Utah CFL, which are both good in Virginia for conceal carry.

Also, any tips on things to do or see in the area will be greatly appreciated!
The Massanutten area is just another part of Virginia - carry as you wish, OC no permit required including in a vehicle or CC with valid/recognized permit.

The Massanutten Resort is a private facility and they have their own rules. See rule #10:

10. No weapons of any kind are authorized in common areas or public facilities on Resort Property. Occupants in possession of a weapon for hunting must have a current hunting license and a nearby property owner’s permission to hunt. Commencing in 2014-2015, weapons intended for hunting must be registered with Resort Security.
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=788

B. Reddy

SP- Tip-wise, I'd suggest a tour of the Luray Caverns, biggest system in the East. Excellent website.

Lots of places to eat in Harrisonburg, just Yelp your options.

Shenandoah National Park is awesome, but with only 3 exits covering 100 miles and a 35 mph limit, it can take a big chunk of time. At 35 mph, you WILL see wildlife. On the holiday weekend we saw deer, wild turkey, and the south side of a north-bound bear. Appalachian trail runs right thru the park. I still can't get over people walking from Georgia to Maine.
Virginia has both types of carry, just remember no firearms in any federal facility at the park.

If you hike, do your homework first, some of the most popular waterfall hikes are the equivalent of taking the stairs to the top of a skyscraper.

Charlottesville has Thomas Jefferson's mountain-top house and estate open for tours.

HPmatt

Federal facility means the going inside the buildings. Another option w/b Montpelier in Orange VA - Jas/Dolly Madison home. If you want to spend $500 on a dinner - look into reservations at Inn at Little Washington - driving by it is free...[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you don't do anything else, go to Jess's Hotdogs...not the one on 33...go into town to the original one in court square. Best hot dogs in the country.
If Gus (Jessie) is there tell him I said hello. If he grunts, he approves. The big highlight in Massanutten is a street with my name on it.

If your there on Sunday, go to Rt 11 or Dayton and watch the Mennonite buggies go to church. During the week, visit the Dayton Farmers Market. It's Mennonite owned.

Going toward the west side of massanutten, the national forest line is one hundred yards to the right.

If you go into Elkton, don't tell them your from PA or they'll kill you. Lol

Last edited:

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Awesome tips and recommendations! Keep them coming!

Am I to understand that "common areas or public facilities" do not include the "unit" itself? Coming and going, to and from the property, and occupying the unit would still be allowed, the way I read the rule. I am not positive that the link is the same place we are staying, either. I will have to look into this further.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Going to and coming from are fine and Massanutten is divided into two sections...the property owners and the resort itself...maybe 3 with the time share units. That was after my time and we don't own property there any longer. Each has its own rules.
The resort itself is where you'll have issues I think.