Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Washington Times - Poll: Most Americans comfortable with carry of holstered handguns

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Washington Times - Poll: Most Americans comfortable with carry of holstered handguns

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-comfortable-/

    SNIP

    “Most Americans” - 52 percent - say that they would feel comfortable if they saw someone carrying a handgun in a holster in public. So says a new YouGov poll - which also reveals the nuances of public sentiment, and the large partisan divides. Here are the numbers:

    52 percent overall say they would be comfortable if they saw someone with a handgun in a holster in public . . . 48 percent overall say the ‘average American’ can be trusted with a firearm.

    . . .

    - Break -

    "This is what we have been saying all along," said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, which styles itself as "a pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." "Open Carry is the Second Amendment," Stollenwerk added.

  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Wow seems sort of low. Glad its a majority but wow.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Well on second thought it is Washington times their polling population and techniques may be the reason it isn't higher.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153

    YouGov.com is not The Washington Times

    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Well on second thought it is Washington times their polling population and techniques may be the reason it isn't higher.
    YouGov.com is not The Washington Times. It has had an US presence since only 2012.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouGov
    The political views of The Washington Times are often described as conservative. The Washington Post reported: "the Times was established by Moon to combat communism and be a conservative alternative to what he perceived as the liberal bias of The Washington Post."

    Conservative commentator Paul Weyrich commented:

    The Washington Post became very arrogant and they just decided that they would determine what was news and what wasn't news and they wouldn't cover a lot of things that went on. And the Washington Times has forced the Post to cover a lot of things that they wouldn't cover if the Times wasn't in existence.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wa...tical_leanings

    I am a continuing contributor to The Wikimedia Foundation
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Huh learn something new everyday.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Huh learn something new everyday.
    I aim to please, too, please. TWT is my second morning news stop, after Drudge.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member JoshGoshR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    11
    52% is still low for being the majority. I wish it were more, but half of Americans accepting the 2nd amendment isn't too bad...I guess

  8. #8
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshGoshR View Post
    52% is still low for being the majority. I wish it were more, but half of Americans accepting the 2nd amendment isn't too bad...I guess
    There are other polls that show the support for 2A quite high. I think this one specifically is dealing with OC.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  9. #9
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    I'm struggling to see this. Seattle is very liberal. The majority of people I talk to either think America should go the way of the UK or say a gun would make them nervous or scared. There isnt even any no gun signs in the downtown area or if there are they are very few and far between. I'm guessing because business wouldnt even think of a person doing something as 'crazy' as open carrying. Sadly i'm not in a position to test my theory but I will when I can. I expect to be thrown out of pretty much every place or have about a dozen police cars swarming around me
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  10. #10
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Shopping in QFC in Belfair this afternoon,
    An woman my age asked me if their were cheap or free places to practice shooting here in Washington?
    I told her about just going out to the power line roads in our woods, they are Everwhere.
    We talked about kinds of guns, and cleaning up our messes.
    She likes her 38 revolver,,, She escaped from California!!! 2 years ago!!!!
    I told her, I am glad she got OUT! She said, I am too!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    ........ Seattle is very liberal. The majority of people I talk to either think America should go the way of the UK or say a gun would make them nervous or scared. There isnt even any no gun signs in the downtown area or if there are they are very few and far between. I'm guessing because business wouldnt even think of a person doing something as 'crazy' as open carrying. Sadly i'm not in a position to test my theory but I will when I can. I expect to be thrown out of pretty much every place or have about a dozen police cars swarming around me
    Oh yes, seattle. This State would be perfect if King county would go away. The same bunch that does not think two bathrooms (M&F) are enough. The entire county is over run with hoplophobes and it must be difficult for a Legally Armed Citizen to live there comfortably.

    Come to our neighborhood and OC is alive, doing well, and pretty much accepted. What a difference a few miles makes.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    561
    My poll is about 1000:4 good to bad for OC be acceptable. Granted I did not go to Washington DC, or Chicago, but one of the 4 is a woman from Illinois standing in Wisconsin giving me hell for her seeing a gun. Another of the 4 was a guy from Philly protecting his kids from some crazy guy. Poll taken over a four year period of open carry, predominately no one notices, gives me a thumbs up, thanks for exercising your 2A Right, or tell me they have their CCL, or show me their gun by opening jacket or such. Once in a while I will get someone who asks if that is legal, if I'm LE, or if I get bothered much? Yes, no, and not very often.

    Granted, a normal person who was terrified of seeing a gun would not generally approach the person with the gun and begin to berate them, but at least four people in this country will. So, I may have bumped into some no votes that just didn't register it with me.

    Our current trend in politics seems to be to take a poll, and then make your position whatever the poll shows to be strongest. Another poll with different results in two years means a different position for said politician. Uhm............NO.
    Last edited by Wstar425; 06-08-2015 at 01:37 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Unfortunately that is supposed to be the difference between republicanism and the demos-crats. A republican should be elected for his excellent personal principles and should hold true to them regardless of the political winds. The demos pull out a finger and sniff it to see if they are up-wind or down.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Oh yes, seattle. This State would be perfect if King county would go away. The same bunch that does not think two bathrooms (M&F) are enough. The entire county is over run with hoplophobes and it must be difficult for a Legally Armed Citizen to live there comfortably.

    Come to our neighborhood and OC is alive, doing well, and pretty much accepted. What a difference a few miles makes.
    Well if someone wants to arrange an open carry demo, i'd join in and copblock it. That is if my hardline posts haven't scared people :P While not exactly not topic this will give you an idea just how vocal I am. Incidentally my internet is going to be all over the place for awhile so responses will be hit and miss at very best. Probably once a week at the library
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Unfortunately that is supposed to be the difference between republicanism and the demos-crats. A republican should be elected for his excellent personal principles and should hold true to them regardless of the political winds. The demos pull out a finger and sniff it to see if they are up-wind or down.
    I think the difference these days is about the thickness of the paper the poll was taken on.

    An Internet poll you say? Even more accurate then.......

  16. #16
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ....The demos pull out a finger and sniff it to see if they are up-wind or down.
    Pull it out of - where? - and they sniff it....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Unfortunately that is supposed to be the difference between republicanism and the demos-crats. A republican should be elected for his excellent personal principles and should hold true to them regardless of the political winds. The demos pull out a finger and sniff it to see if they are up-wind or down.
    Seems to me the R's sniff the D's finger and then stand in their lee.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,869
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Seems to me the R's sniff the D's finger and then stand in their lee.
    or up wind so not to get wet...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    I think the difference these days is about the thickness of the paper the poll was taken on.

    An Internet poll you say? Even more accurate then.......
    if it is called a 'poll' or a 'study' JQPublic immediately believes the results w/o looking at the specific number of ppl polled or in the study...they just flatly accept the poll's percentages or the study's conclusions.

    the loss of critical thinking skills is amazing as is the acceptance of mediocrity across the board by our citizens and elected officials.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    ... and correspondents.

    I was very amused to recently stumble across the etymology of solipsism: From Latin solus (“alone”) +‎ ipse (“self”) +‎ -ism.
    Self-absorption, an unawareness of the views or needs of others; self-centeredness; egoism
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  21. #21
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    if it is called a 'poll' or a 'study' JQPublic immediately believes the results w/o looking at the specific number of ppl polled or in the study...they just flatly accept the poll's percentages or the study's conclusions.

    the loss of critical thinking skills is amazing as is the acceptance of mediocrity across the board by our citizens and elected officials.

    ipse
    I focus on the premise of each question and the repeatedness of the question(s), thus worded differently, to garner the desired result, to support the beforehand postulated premise...the only poll that counts is that poll taken at the ballot box.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    I disagree. IIRC it was Stalin that taught correctly that votes in the ballot box matter less than what the vote counter reports, and history bears him out.

    The only 'poll' that assuredly counts is the body count from application of the ammo box.

    Counting coups: Elsewhere I note the report that the SEAL's are using fighting axes, the report surely to cause accusations of cruel and unusual warfare. I believe Saracen scalps are much more convenient to take than Infidel heads, and to carry around.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ... and correspondents.

    I was very amused to recently stumble across the etymology of solipsism: From Latin solus (“alone”) +‎ ipse (“self”) +‎ -ism.
    Self-absorption, an unawareness of the views or needs of others; self-centeredness; egoism
    and i nightmare, am extremely pleased and amused this causes you such continued bemusement!

    tis truly a shame mate, you are only fascinated with the etymology instead of seeking below the skin of the onion.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  24. #24
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,869
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I focus on the premise of each question and the repeatedness of the question(s), thus worded differently, to garner the desired result, to support the beforehand postulated premise...the only poll that counts is that poll taken at the ballot box.
    i do believe daley's machine (and others of course) perfected rising the dead to assure their count was appropriately noted in the ballot box.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  25. #25
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I disagree. IIRC it was Stalin that taught correctly that votes in the ballot box matter less than what the vote counter reports, and history bears him out.

    The only 'poll' that assuredly counts is the body count from application of the ammo box.

    Counting coups: Elsewhere I note the report that the SEAL's are using fighting axes, the report surely to cause accusations of cruel and unusual warfare. I believe Saracen scalps are much more convenient to take than Infidel heads, and to carry around.
    ears are even easier to carry...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •