• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Failure of Justice yet again

DeSchaine

solus

now where is deffert's go-fund me site to push this up the judicial ladder?

ipse

b0neZ

Wow, they went into quite some detail on the handgun and accessories he had.

Surprised they didn't mention the brands of holster and ammo as well.

DeSchaine

That's a good point WC. I just did a quick read of that case and yes, it seems almost exactly the same, except for initial confrontation between the LAC and Antigun fruitcake.

In addition, I'm still wondering why the cop in the GR case hasn't been fired yet, due to his putting innocent passersby at great risk by keeping his gun on the suspect even though cars are going between them.

twoskinsonemanns

It's a warm comfort to see the system working so well.
I wonder why they didn't just shoot him?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well, its official, score one for the idiots. The Feds have now set OC rights back with this latest BS ruling.

http://fox17online.com/2015/06/02/grand-rapids-wins-lawsuit-over-open-carry-stop/

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/06/judge_backs_grand_rapids_polic.html

Lesson here: Don't sing and carry at the same time. I can see this leading to a flurry of frantic 911 calls anytime an OCer is spotted.
Another Leonard Embody, it seems.

Act like you're "out there" while OCing and you get stopped. Big surprise. :rolleyes:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I didn't read the decision, just skimmed it, and a fast skim at that.

It seems to fly in the face of Florida vs JL. (JL was a minor, thus only his initials, not his full name). In that decision, the government argued there should be an exception for guns to the standard Terry stop doctrine. The US Supreme Court expressly declined to make an exception to standard Terry doctrine for guns. Its not in the holding, since the case was more about the reliability of an anonymous tip, but, c'mon, the SCOTUS went out of its way to expressly decline one of the government's arguments.

I guess the community caretaking angle is a new wrinkle, but nobody can credibly fly the argument the cop was "community caretaking" on Deffert's behalf. From the record, its pretty plain he was a criminal suspect, in which case the 4A applies to his seizure.

Last edited: