Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: 20th Anniversary trip - 2 weeks in AK - OC Experiences so far...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    42

    20th Anniversary trip - 2 weeks in AK - OC Experiences so far...

    My family and I are 4 days into our 2 week adventure in Alaska and having a great time. We are motoring about in a 32' motorhome seeing and doing just about everything. We have lived in Washington state for over 7 years now where I OC often. I thought folks from/living in AK would be interested to know my experiences so far:

    Day 1: Stopped in Costco in Anchorage to stock up on supplies where I was stopped shortly after entering and asked to either cover up my sidearm or take it out to my car to keep from scaring the customers. Now, I know Costco has a policy against open carry BUT I have OC'ed in the store across the street from their corporate HQ without any issues. I was a bit surprised by this. Oh well...I pulled my t-shirt out and kept shopping.

    Day 2: One of the ladies at our first RV park in Glacier View asked me to lean down quietly at the office/restaurant counter to quietly tell me that because they have a liquor license, I couldn't have a firearm in there. I quietly and respectfully replied that Alaska statue actually DOES permit me to do so as long as I am not drinking. I even offered to show her the AK statue reference. She seemed bewildered that I actually knew the law and told me whatever class she had to take for their license said otherwise. I left and came back a short time later with our trip binder (which we assemble with all sorts of info including gun laws for states we will be in) but she was on the phone and couldn't speak with me. No further incidents after that.

    Day 3: On a boat for a glacier tour so I was concealed anyway (and it was cold).

    Day 4: Stopped in a gift shop in Tok and browsed around. A tour bus stopped with folks from out of the country and I spoke in passing to a man from Australia. We left and were outside in the parking lot for a few minutes when the same man came up to me to ask why I had a gun on me. He didn't ask in a confrontational manner-he seemed genuinely curious. I happily engaged in conversation with him. Here was my reply:

    Me: "Well, I have a covenantal responsibility before God to protect myself and my family. I also believe in the total depravity of man as the Scriptures teach meaning that man is born into this world evil and I need to be prepared."
    Him: "But what do you do about the idiots out there?"
    Me: "Let me answer your question with another question: do you have any idiots in Australia?"
    Him: "Oh yes!"
    Me: "Do any of those idiots drive cars?"
    Him: "Yes, but they are usually sensible before they get behind the wheel..."
    Me: "Then you should ban cars, right?"

    He then understood quickly where I was going with this and that the object doesn't do anything, the person does. The tour bus driver then honked indicating they needed to leave. We shook hands and parted ways.

    We'll see how things go the remainder of the trip. I've carried in a liberal state openly for quite some time now with almost NO encounters at all. But in AK of all places I've run into more encounters than I expected. Coming up on our trip will be Pioneer Park in Fairbanks and the Alaska Zoo, the only places I could possibly see any issues.

    Just thought I would share.

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Great stuff. Keep it coming.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Sir Diealotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Ky
    Posts
    253
    Outstanding. Keep us updated.

    I have a question however. How did you get from Washington, into Canada and then to Alaska with one of those evil firearms? Or did you fly into Alaska and rent an RV?
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

    Thomas Paine

  4. #4
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,878
    wonderful to hear...thought (read as hounded to think about) about doing a similar trip in the near future and so glad you are leading the pack so to speak.

    keep us informed on your sojourn and would like to hear how you got from PNW to AK, myself.

    thanks for sharing...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    42
    Day 5:
    Today we drove from Tok to Fairbanks for Pioneer Park. On the way, we stopped at Delta Meat and Sausage for some reindeer and yak sausage (yum!). I OC'ed there and the lady running the counter noticed but only made a comment that I was "ready". Otherwise, no issues nor change in customer service. We arrived at Pioneer Park but I was concealed due to the cold and wet conditions except when we did the "old time" photo session. The lady there certainly knew I was carrying but never said a word...as it should be.

    All in all, a quiet day for the most part.

    To answer the earlier question: we flew to AK and rented an RV. The airline was Jetblue for this trip, but I have also used Southwest, United, and Frontier.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    42
    Day 6:
    Today we visited Chena Hot Springs for the Ice Museum where I carried concealed since I was in a parka anyway. The rest of the trip was driving where I OC'ed but once at our RV park near Denali we noticed that they had a rule in bold: NO FIREARMS. So, I'll be concealed here while in the RV park as this is fairly common elsewhere in RV parks, though disappointing for Alaska. Tomorrow we hit the National Park and ATV tours. The ATV tour company requested that I remain concealed, so add that to the restrictions while in Alaska, too.

    Time to get the Marlin 45-70 out and go for a hike...
    Last edited by wczimmerman; 06-05-2015 at 01:46 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    When you come back through Anchorage, let me know. I'll take ya out to Birchwood and hit the range.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    42
    Days 7-12:

    Nothing much to report as the rain and cold had me bundled up anyway. I have not seen any signs for "no guns" other than the policy posting for the ARR indicating such but nothing to prevent it. If the weather warms up a bit, I'll be back to OC'ing.

    mobiushky: thanks for the offer! We don't have time for the range on this trip, but if you're ever in the Seattle area let me know and I'll return the offer!

    Does anyone know what the Alaska Zoo is like for OC'ing?

  9. #9
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by wczimmerman View Post
    Days 7-12:

    Nothing much to report as the rain and cold had me bundled up anyway. I have not seen any signs for "no guns" other than the policy posting for the ARR indicating such but nothing to prevent it. If the weather warms up a bit, I'll be back to OC'ing.

    mobiushky: thanks for the offer! We don't have time for the range on this trip, but if you're ever in the Seattle area let me know and I'll return the offer!

    Does anyone know what the Alaska Zoo is like for OC'ing?
    I don't remember seeing any signs, but I wouldn't be surprised if you at least get kind of the same thing as your Costco run. I've only been once, but I was concealing that day for other reasons. That said here is their policy:

    "Visitor Conduct
    The following are rules for visitor conduct at the zoo. We reserve the right to ask any individual or group to leave if they are found in violation of these policies. We encourage all visitors to enjoy the zoo in a safe and respectful manner.

    The following are prohibited (not allowed) on zoo grounds:

    Smoking (this includes cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars and pipes)
    Pets (assistance dogs are permitted for guests with physical challenges)
    Firearms
    Balloons (choking hazard for the animals)
    "
    One thing about signs, it is a bit fuzzy on how AK determines force of law on signs. Handgunlaw says they do have force of law. The statute (13 AAC 30.110) says:

    (b) Nothing in this chapter or in AS 18.65.700 - 18.65.790 precludes a person from posting, to the extent
    allowed by law, a notice regarding the carrying of a concealed handgun.
    But if no sign is posted, I'm not sure how to take it. Given that they have a stated policy of no firearms at all, I'd say you probably are better off carrying concealed if you want to see the whole zoo.

    PS - I hope you have more planned for the day than the zoo. It's about a 45 min stop total unless you really like to drag things out.
    Last edited by mobiushky; 06-11-2015 at 12:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    42
    Thanks for that!

    We are planning to visit the zoo, then over to the Law Enforcement Museum, then probably walk around downtown a bit, run over to the park by the airport (we're told that moose are over there), then Sourdough Mining Co for dinner before dropping the RV off and heading to the airport.

    Today we hit the reindeer farm and colony house in Palmer...all concealed with a vest (almost warm enough to shed the last covering).

    We've had a great visit in Alaska. I appreciate this site and its help as we planned and navigated during our stay.

  11. #11
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by wczimmerman View Post
    Thanks for that!

    We are planning to visit the zoo, then over to the Law Enforcement Museum, then probably walk around downtown a bit, run over to the park by the airport (we're told that moose are over there), then Sourdough Mining Co for dinner before dropping the RV off and heading to the airport.

    Today we hit the reindeer farm and colony house in Palmer...all concealed with a vest (almost warm enough to shed the last covering).

    We've had a great visit in Alaska. I appreciate this site and its help as we planned and navigated during our stay.
    Downtown you'll be fine. Some of the places might be iffy, but I've never had a problem OC'ing downtown. Sourdough Mining is one of the best BBQ in town. We love it there.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    12
    Just a clarification on the liquor license bit. In Alaska, one can have a firearm in a restaurant that sells alcohol (cannot partake though). One cannot have a firearm in a tavern that sells food. One needs to read that particular establishment's liquor license to see its classification. It is hard to tell.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by AKj View Post
    Just a clarification on the liquor license bit. In Alaska, one can have a firearm in a restaurant that sells alcohol (cannot partake though). One cannot have a firearm in a tavern that sells food. One needs to read that particular establishment's liquor license to see its classification. It is hard to tell.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For anyone that cares. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, btw. The statute here is 11.61.220.

    (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
    ...
    (2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;
    ...
    (d) In a prosecution under (a)(2) of this section, it is
    (1) an affirmative defense that
    (A) [Repealed, Sec. 7 ch 62 SLA 2003].
    (B) the loaded firearm was a concealed handgun as defined in AS 18.65.790; and
    (C) the possession occurred at a place designated as a restaurant for the purposes of AS 04.16.049 and the defendant did not consume intoxicating liquor at the place;
    AS 04.16.049 defines various aspects of access to persons under the age of 21. Pertinent is this part:

    (a) A person under the age of 21 years may not knowingly enter or remain in premises licensed under this title unless
    ...
    (3) the person is under the age of 16 years, is accompanied by a person over the age of 21 years, the parent or guardian of the underaged person consents, the premises are designated by the board as a restaurant for the purposes of this section, and the person enters and remains only for dining; or...
    So to that end, according to the statutes, if the board designates the premises as a restaurant in light of 04.16.049, then firearms are allowed concealed. But what's funny is that it doesn't allow open carry in any fashion. Odd.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    12
    Hi Mobi, Thank you for posting the statute. I was not remembering the "concealed only" requirement in the restaurants that serve liquor here in AK. That will help me and other readers of this to stay out of trouble.

    To elaborate on my previous post, knowing whether the establishment is a tavern that serves food or a restaurant that serves alcohol can only be determined by reading the liquor license from the specific establishment - to see its classification. There is really no other way to tell. Many places that look like a restaurant will have the 'tavern type' liquor license so it is tough to do it right for the concealed carrier and even tougher for the open carrier. Best regards, AKj


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by AKj View Post
    ...To elaborate on my previous post, knowing whether the establishment is a tavern that serves food or a restaurant that serves alcohol can only be determined by reading the liquor license from the specific establishment - to see its classification. There is really no other way to tell. Many places that look like a restaurant will have the 'tavern type' liquor license...
    What's the difference between the two licenses?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    12
    Other than the fee the establishment owner pays, here is part of the Alaska liquor license statute. I am not a lawyer - nor do I play one on the internet - but Mobi showed the gun carry statutes above and I am posting the "alcoholic beverage" statutes below so there might be enough to make your own decisions to stay out of trouble.
    http://www.juneau.org/assembly/agend...egulations.pdf

    Always check for the most current regs elsewhere



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    12
    In reading the 'alcoholic beverage' establishment statutes one will realize that establishments with the restaurant license are limited to beer and wine. So if one sees a rail of spirits, that is definite indication that the firearm must be be kept stowed in the vehicle or some other suitable place. If beer and wine only are available, then there still is ?? whether the liquor license is the tavern type or the restaurant type.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by AKj View Post
    In reading the 'alcoholic beverage' establishment statutes one will realize that establishments with the restaurant license are limited to beer and wine. So if one sees a rail of spirits, that is definite indication that the firearm must be be kept stowed in the vehicle or some other suitable place. If beer and wine only are available, then there still is ?? whether the liquor license is the tavern type or the restaurant type.
    Thanks for the follow-up post.

    I see "pub" on the linked list, but not "tavern".

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    12
    Guess I should be saying "restaurant type liquor license" and "all other types of liquor licenses that apply to on-premise consumption" rather than referring to a tavern or bar. Consult your attorney for the specifics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    19

    First post introduction and apology to OP

    Quote Originally Posted by wczimmerman View Post
    My family and I are 4 days into our 2 week adventure in Alaska and having a great time. We are motoring about in a 32' motorhome seeing and doing just about everything. We have lived in Washington state for over 7 years now where I OC often. I thought folks from/living in AK would be interested to know my experiences so far:

    Day 1: Stopped in Costco in Anchorage to stock up on supplies where I was stopped shortly after entering and asked to either cover up my sidearm or take it out to my car to keep from scaring the customers. Now, I know Costco has a policy against open carry BUT I have OC'ed in the store across the street from their corporate HQ without any issues. I was a bit surprised by this. Oh well...I pulled my t-shirt out and kept shopping.

    Day 2: One of the ladies at our first RV park in Glacier View asked me to lean down quietly at the office/restaurant counter to quietly tell me that because they have a liquor license, I couldn't have a firearm in there. I quietly and respectfully replied that Alaska statue actually DOES permit me to do so as long as I am not drinking. I even offered to show her the AK statue reference. She seemed bewildered that I actually knew the law and told me whatever class she had to take for their license said otherwise. I left and came back a short time later with our trip binder (which we assemble with all sorts of info including gun laws for states we will be in) but she was on the phone and couldn't speak with me. No further incidents after that.

    Day 3: On a boat for a glacier tour so I was concealed anyway (and it was cold).

    Day 4: Stopped in a gift shop in Tok and browsed around. A tour bus stopped with folks from out of the country and I spoke in passing to a man from Australia. We left and were outside in the parking lot for a few minutes when the same man came up to me to ask why I had a gun on me. He didn't ask in a confrontational manner-he seemed genuinely curious. I happily engaged in conversation with him. Here was my reply:

    Me: "Well, I have a covenantal responsibility before God to protect myself and my family. I also believe in the total depravity of man as the Scriptures teach meaning that man is born into this world evil and I need to be prepared."
    Him: "But what do you do about the idiots out there?"
    Me: "Let me answer your question with another question: do you have any idiots in Australia?"
    Him: "Oh yes!"
    Me: "Do any of those idiots drive cars?"
    Him: "Yes, but they are usually sensible before they get behind the wheel..."
    Me: "Then you should ban cars, right?"

    He then understood quickly where I was going with this and that the object doesn't do anything, the person does. The tour bus driver then honked indicating they needed to leave. We shook hands and parted ways.

    We'll see how things go the remainder of the trip. I've carried in a liberal state openly for quite some time now with almost NO encounters at all. But in AK of all places I've run into more encounters than I expected. Coming up on our trip will be Pioneer Park in Fairbanks and the Alaska Zoo, the only places I could possibly see any issues.

    Just thought I would share.
    Hi Art Brown Sr. here from Anchorage AK. I'm a new hand gunner and have both OC and CC holsters from Alien Gear My present handgun is a RIA 1911 A2 (.22TCM/9mm).
    wczimmerman, Sorry to hear of the uneducated responses to you in anchorage and about. I was working (until medical required temp. disability) as the door greeter at the Anchorage Sam's Club. We never comment on our members carry status unless we are personally familiar with the individual then normal conversation can include firearm discussions including brand, upgrades , etc. While I'm not allowed to carry on the clock ANY one else can walk around the store either way. You ever come up again you have a few up here that will gladly light some off with you!
    Last edited by ArtBrownSr; 11-05-2015 at 01:45 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtBrownSr View Post
    Hi Art Brown Sr. here from Anchorage AK. I'm a new hand gunner and have both OC and CC holsters from Alien Gear My present handgun is a RIA 1911 A2 (.22TCM/9mm).
    wczimmerman, Sorry to hear of the uneducated responses to you in anchorage and about. I was working (until medical required temp. disability) as the door greeter at the Anchorage Sam's Club. We never comment on our members carry status unless we are personally familiar with the individual then normal conversation can include firearm discussions including brand, upgrades , etc. While I'm not allowed to carry on the clock ANY one else can walk around the store either way. You ever come up again you have a few up here that will gladly light some off with you!
    BTW, thanks for that. I know Costco corporate frowns on armed civilians, but wasn't sure about Sam's up here. I always carry up here, but I've been wearing a jacket every time I went to Sam's. I guess I can stop that part and just OC in Sam's.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    19
    I've been off work for about two months due to medical, but I'm the guy with the Twisted beard at the door. I've been there for 10 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •