• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ffl?

solus

Coincidently, I am considering the same thing. As an additional question to those who already have one: can the holder get a discount on ammo?

nemo, et al., the answer is once your ffl is obtained, you must establish appropriate distributor's relationships, who want 'store' front photos submitted with their applications. once the application gauntlet is passed, you will discern there ares certain types of ammo which is completely unavailable in 'smaller' quantities (defined as under thousands of rounds) but being the smart business person you are, you established an account w/brownells and lo and behold you go sign in and find find the ammo and then discover your account doesn't get you a discount on anything!!

further, if you are attempting to purchase a singular or 'couple' firearms from one of your wholesale distributors, you find the a singular firearm costs you, say $450 (msrp is $575). small markup but doable. then because you are only a one, two, three buyer at a time, you must pay a 'shipping fee of oh say $40-50 to overnight the firearm to you. opps your small markup is diminishing but it is the cost of doing business and it is a deduction from the business' income tax.

you ordered the customer's firearm they indicated they wanted, it arrived, you call your customer and they tell you the great news...they found it off of BUD's for $475 and could you please do the xfer paperwork for your customary $25 fee? thanks...

finally, ATF will specifically ask why are you getting a 01 dealer FFL head's up...the incorrect response 'is so i can purchase firearms, accessories, and ammo for my and families personal use!!'

the nice agent will smile and say thank you during the interview process.

ipse

CoryB

Does that fall under what they call the law of diminishing returns? :)

Thanks, Solus

To a great extent, yes. I can buy from about 10 different distributors and probably 8 of them required photographs of the inside, outside and signage for the business before setting up my account. In fact, one distributor told me recently that they were weeding out the home businesses and would only sell to brick-and-mortar gun stores. Once you successfully set up an account there typically is a discounted shipping rate above a certain dollar amount spent - usually 800-1000 per order.

But as Solus pointed out, ammo is no easier to find for FFLs than regular folks.

peterkenwitty

Banned
Best Gun Safes For Rifles And Long Barreled Guns

The best gun safe is a storage space specifically meant for firearms used in homes and businesses to defend against intruders or burglars. However, with the overwhelming number of safes available in the market, these days purchasing one may prove to be a difficult decision. https://thegunsafes.net/best-gun-safe-reviews/

Urban Youth

If you've got less than 2 guns then there's no point to purchasing a safe. It makes it harder, but not impossible, for the guns to be stolen from your home, unless every gun you own is stored in a different location in your home. Then you're just relying on luck and hoping they missed a few. Definitely leave youe carry gun out of the safe and carry while you're home, and also have a good rifle chamberedin an intermediate cartridge that doesn't excessively overpenetrate like 5.56x45.

The necropost and it being peterkenwittys first post means it's probably someone affiliated with that site or the safe manufacturers being sold on it.

Last edited:

scooter348

Or not. A gun in a safe is worse and less useful than a boat anchor in a safe, neither is at hand when it is needed. The most useful and safe gun is the one in your holster at your side.

Any gun not being utilized in a holster on your hip needs to be safely stowed away in a locked compartment. If you are going to "hide" guns around your home, it is imperative as a responsible gun owner to insure the wrong person, i.e. children, can't get a hold of them.

67GT390FB

Any gun not being utilized in a holster on your hip needs to be safely stowed away in a locked compartment. If you are going to "hide" guns around your home, it is imperative as a responsible gun owner to insure the wrong person, i.e. children, can't get a hold of them.

no booger eaters in my house unless they broke in do i still have to lock up all my guns and have them unloaded?

scooter348

no booger eaters in my house unless they broke in do i still have to lock up all my guns and have them unloaded?

Without trying to state the obvious, you can do in your own home whatever you darn well want to. But you will be held responsible, criminally and/or civilly, should an accident occur. Is leaving firearms laying around your home the trait of a responsible gun owner?

solus

Without trying to state the obvious, you can do in your own home whatever you darn well want to. But you will be held responsible, criminally and/or civilly, should an accident occur. Is leaving firearms laying around your home the trait of a responsible gun owner?

you throw the word 'responsible' around like it has the same meaning to all firearm owners as well as other citizens within our country.

to some, responsible means teaching their youn's the proper respect for firearms, long, hand, etc., as well as knives, archery equipment, ad nauseam.

locking up the forbidden fruit w/o teaching rationale is like saying do not touch the stove...why not? it's bad for you! ouch that hurt!! hummm told ya!! at that point tis too late to teach anything, isn't it?

there have been several commentaries espoused on these threads where the young teenager has gotten the firearm and kept his sister from being raped by intruders into the house on spring break...i am sure the parents stated 'bad teenager' you touched my firearms!!

but like all things in this world, please do your own thing based on your perceptions of 'responsible' being the responsible parent...my youn' knows better after been shown how to use them.

ipse

OC for ME

The trait of a responsible gun owner is to not presuppose that your fellow gun owner is criminally or civilly responsible for a act hat has not yet occurred. Individual liberty seems to not be apart of your lexicon. We must be held responsible for our actions might be.

You, in my opinion, hold a few opinions that are based on false premises.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

scooter348

you throw the word 'responsible' around like it has the same meaning to all firearm owners as well as other citizens within our country.

to some, responsible means teaching their youn's the proper respect for firearms, long, hand, etc., as well as knives, archery equipment, ad nauseam.

locking up the forbidden fruit w/o teaching rationale is like saying do not touch the stove...why not? it's bad for you! ouch that hurt!! hummm told ya!! at that point tis too late to teach anything, isn't it?

there have been several commentaries espoused on these threads where the young teenager has gotten the firearm and kept his sister from being raped by intruders into the house on spring break...i am sure the parents stated 'bad teenager' you touched my firearms!!

but like all things in this world, please do your own thing based on your perceptions of 'responsible' being the responsible parent...my youn' knows better after been shown how to use them.

ipse

I wholeheartedly agree with you in that teaching others about all guns is the correct and proper thing to do. I have done that with my child. My thought was in reference to the toddler/child/teenager who comes to the house. It's human nature to get comfortable with doing something and then forget you are doing it. How many nitwits are found with a handgun in their purse or carry-on at the airport and their excuse is they carry it so often it was second nature and they forgot it was there. The same could be said for leaving a gun laying around in your home. I consider myself a responsible gun owner and, for me, that includes locking up any guns I'm not wearing on my person. It also means anyone leaving a gun where a person uneducated on guns and gun safety can access it should be held responsible.