Thread: Is the VA tracking gun ownership among veterans?

Is the VA tracking gun ownership among veterans?

I hope the General Forum is the appropriate place to post this. Yesterday I was somewhat shocked to receive a letter from the Veterans Administration offering me up to 4 free gunlocks. It states that the request form will be destroyed and that no records will be kept. It also states that I can pick the locks up at the behavioral health building or the VA police department. Even if I needed gunlocks I would not obtain them in this manner. And I do not believe for a second that my name and information would remain anonymous. I am wondering how many veterans have received these types of correspondence from the VA.

And once again I am shown that I am the red-headed stepchild. I've not received any such offer from the VA, and as often (unfortunately) as I'm at the VAMC you would think the administrative types know me at least as well as the clinical staff and the nice folks in the cafeteria. (They do make an outstanding chef's salad.)

Maybe the NSA can forward this to the VA so they can correct their omission and I will no longer feel like the VA is ignoring me?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I applied, actually twice, but failed their means testing and have never heard from them other than the rejections.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I applied, actually twice, but failed their means testing and have never heard from them other than the rejections.
    You need a disability rating before you can be means tested. While I was waiting for the disability evaluation I was rated based on diabeeetus (the not-Agent Orange presumptive type) and fell into Category 8. When they finished with me I was 295% service connected disabled - but they only count up to 100%.

Might want to go back and reapply through one of the Veteran Service Agencies - VFW, DAV, Order of the Purple Heart, American Legion, etc. You do not need to be a member of the organization you choose to work through.

Getting back on topic - apparently being rated for and previously being treated for PTSD has not yet tripped a switch. Their loss, not mine.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Is the VA tracking gun ownership among veterans?

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    ....When they finished with me I was 295% service connected disabled - but they only count up to 100%.
    So you are an overacheiver!!!

BTW have not seen much about they 71st Anniversary of D-Day. Thanks to all of you guys (and gals) that have served. Such a debt to those that gave it all.[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HPmatt; 06-06-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    So you are an overacheiver!!!
    No. But I am like most folks suggest - really, seriously messed up.

BTW have not seen much about they 70th Anniversary of D-Day. Thanks to all of you guys (and gals) that have served. Such a debt to those that gave it all.[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please do not thank anybody that was not there or working to get the troops there. (I'm pretty sure you mean well, but it's their day.)

These folks remember, and remember why they need to teach their children about what happened that day and why. http://www.ot-baieducotentin.fr/en/d...ndy-june-2015/

I'm not sure how I feel about period music and such like - mostly I'm against it. IMHO this needs to be a solemn day of remembrance and thanksgiving. https://www.dday.org/events/flat

This http://worldwar2toursofeurope.com/71..._tour_2015.htm is the type of tour I would like to take.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I have heard of this but have no experiance with it. No one at the (seattle) va has ever asked me about a firearm.

I did find a swat team waiting for me as I finished a hearing exam. I was Openly Carrying an empty holster and another patient/visitor turned me in. It was kinda fun, dong ma?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

To be safe assume this administration is tracking everything about everyone they can, to be used at a latter date (including everything posted on this site, I know of one case where it bit someone in the @).

I was on lists before everybody was talking about lists existing or being on a/some/any list. They can decide what to do based on whichever list they want to use. I can't stop them (only slow them down a bit).

In the meantime I've got a life to live.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I was on lists before everybody was talking about lists existing or being on a/some/any list. They can decide what to do based on whichever list they want to use. I can't stop them (only slow them down a bit).

In the meantime I've got a life to live.

stay safe.
    There is probably a list named after you.

Can't view it though - it's passwaord protected.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    There is probably a list named after you.

Can't view it though - it's passwaord protected.
    in flesh colored crayola...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Exclamation

I just have to put my $0.02 in here; I am a disabled vet (30% service connected disability, 100% Social Security Disability), have been treated by the VA Psychiatrists and Psychologists for depression (NOT PTSD although they were leaning there for a bit) and had the VA Psychiatrist sign off on and write a letter for my LA CHP! The fact is, I couldn't have worded it better in my favor if I wrote it myself. The VA has never inquired into my gun ownership either overtly or covertly (to my knowledge). The other facts are that having been a full blown FFL and licensed to carry concealed in 4 states (3 as a resident) and being a former active member of the VCDL and having been an officer in LOCAL for the past 3 years not to mention my presence on MANY gun forums, if the government was looking for someone to screw with, I should be at the top of their list! They DO "randomly" select me for the "special screening" Every. Time. I. Fricken. Fly. though.

In short, take off the tinfoil hats. It ain't that bad... yet.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Speedy - You know that is going in your Permanent Record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH0yqZEzPnk

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Can't view it though - it's password protected.
    I'm sure the Chinese will have no problem viewing it.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.