• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the VA tracking gun ownership among veterans?

defcon4

I hope the General Forum is the appropriate place to post this. Yesterday I was somewhat shocked to receive a letter from the Veterans Administration offering me up to 4 free gunlocks. It states that the request form will be destroyed and that no records will be kept. It also states that I can pick the locks up at the behavioral health building or the VA police department. Even if I needed gunlocks I would not obtain them in this manner. And I do not believe for a second that my name and information would remain anonymous. I am wondering how many veterans have received these types of correspondence from the VA.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And once again I am shown that I am the red-headed stepchild. I've not received any such offer from the VA, and as often (unfortunately) as I'm at the VAMC you would think the administrative types know me at least as well as the clinical staff and the nice folks in the cafeteria. (They do make an outstanding chef's salad.)

Maybe the NSA can forward this to the VA so they can correct their omission and I will no longer feel like the VA is ignoring me?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I applied, actually twice, but failed their means testing and have never heard from them other than the rejections.

You need a disability rating before you can be means tested. While I was waiting for the disability evaluation I was rated based on diabeeetus (the not-Agent Orange presumptive type) and fell into Category 8. When they finished with me I was 295% service connected disabled - but they only count up to 100%.:(

Might want to go back and reapply through one of the Veteran Service Agencies - VFW, DAV, Order of the Purple Heart, American Legion, etc. You do not need to be a member of the organization you choose to work through.

Getting back on topic - apparently being rated for and previously being treated for PTSD has not yet tripped a switch. Their loss, not mine.

stay safe.

HPmatt

....When they finished with me I was 295% service connected disabled - but they only count up to 100%.:(

So you are an overacheiver!!!

BTW have not seen much about they 71st Anniversary of D-Day. Thanks to all of you guys (and gals) that have served. Such a debt to those that gave it all.[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So you are an overacheiver!!!

No. But I am like most folks suggest - really, seriously messed up.

BTW have not seen much about they 70th Anniversary of D-Day. Thanks to all of you guys (and gals) that have served. Such a debt to those that gave it all.[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do not thank anybody that was not there or working to get the troops there. (I'm pretty sure you mean well, but it's their day.)

These folks remember, and remember why they need to teach their children about what happened that day and why. http://www.ot-baieducotentin.fr/en/d-day-1944/71st-anniversary-of-d-day-normandy-june-2015/

I'm not sure how I feel about period music and such like - mostly I'm against it. IMHO this needs to be a solemn day of remembrance and thanksgiving. https://www.dday.org/events/flat

This http://worldwar2toursofeurope.com/71st_d_day_tour_2015.htm is the type of tour I would like to take.

stay safe.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have heard of this but have no experiance with it. No one at the (seattle) va has ever asked me about a firearm.

I did find a swat team waiting for me as I finished a hearing exam. I was Openly Carrying an empty holster and another patient/visitor turned me in. It was kinda fun, dong ma?

F350

To be safe assume this administration is tracking everything about everyone they can, to be used at a latter date (including everything posted on this site, I know of one case where it bit someone in the @).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I was on lists before everybody was talking about lists existing or being on a/some/any list. They can decide what to do based on whichever list they want to use. I can't stop them (only slow them down a bit).

In the meantime I've got a life to live.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was on lists before everybody was talking about lists existing or being on a/some/any list. They can decide what to do based on whichever list they want to use. I can't stop them (only slow them down a bit).

In the meantime I've got a life to live.

stay safe.
There is probably a list named after you.

Can't view it though - it's passwaord protected. :p

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
10294253_10153958549518312_3680349871031059873_n.jpg

HeroHog

I just have to put my $0.02 in here; I am a disabled vet (30% service connected disability, 100% Social Security Disability), have been treated by the VA Psychiatrists and Psychologists for depression (NOT PTSD although they were leaning there for a bit) and had the VA Psychiatrist sign off on and write a letter for my LA CHP! The fact is, I couldn't have worded it better in my favor if I wrote it myself. The VA has never inquired into my gun ownership either overtly or covertly (to my knowledge). The other facts are that having been a full blown FFL and licensed to carry concealed in 4 states (3 as a resident) and being a former active member of the VCDL and having been an officer in LOCAL for the past 3 years not to mention my presence on MANY gun forums, if the government was looking for someone to screw with, I should be at the top of their list! They DO "randomly" select me for the "special screening" Every. Time. I. Fricken. Fly. though. :banghead:

In short, take off the tinfoil hats. It ain't that bad... yet. :p