• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Carolina Lodging

kdurbin82

This isn't exactly an open carry question, but does cover legalities that would also apply to open-carriers:

What does North Carolina law say about an inn-keeper's right to ban firearms on their property? I couldn't find anything in my search of the NCDOJ website. Since North Carolina's "no guns" signs carry the force of law, if a hotel posted a no-gun sign, then you would be in violation of the law unless the law granted an exception to an individual paying for their housing, specifically, if it is temporary housing. Most states with righteous and common-sense gun laws AND a no-gun sign provision explain how hotels are to be treated. I am flying to NC this weekend and don't want any surprises.

nobama

This isn't exactly an open carry question, but does cover legalities that would also apply to open-carriers:

What does North Carolina law say about an inn-keeper's right to ban firearms on their property? I couldn't find anything in my search of the NCDOJ website. Since North Carolina's "no guns" signs carry the force of law, if a hotel posted a no-gun sign, then you would be in violation of the law unless the law granted an exception to an individual paying for their housing, specifically, if it is temporary housing. Most states with righteous and common-sense gun laws AND a no-gun sign provision explain how hotels are to be treated. I am flying to NC this weekend and don't want any surprises.

Welcome to OC.org. I would carry if there were no signs. I have OCed in and out of a hotel before without an issue.

solus

OP, OC is a common practice across the state...and you shouldn't have any problems entering or leaving...just be nice if some get anxious...

just ensure you follow air transportation guidance carrying your firearm...

enjoy your visit to the tarheel state...

ipse

jtitus07

I've OCed in several hotels in NC, mostly in the Charlotte area with no problems.

Though I did have a to think for a minute recently as the hotel I was in had a bar in the lobby. Seeing as how I do not have a CHL, it would technically be illegal for me to carry there. I assumed that the side of the lobby that the bar was in was considered the establishment and just used the backdoor when carrying to avoid that area. Not a word was said.