Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need clarification on Texas open carry rules

Need clarification on Texas open carry rules

I was curious if anyone knows of the Texas open carry law will require a thumb brake retention on holsters?

Does our law specify any rules different than our neighbors in Oklahoma and Louisiana?

I'm new here and really enjoy reading and learning from all y'all!

From what I have read there are no specifications on retention devices. It only specifies belt or shoulder holster. They tried to add an amendment to require specific retention requirements but it was shot down

That's my understanding as well. I know they mentioned adding that language in an attempt to get the police unions on board. I see that as nit picking. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I'm very happy we're getting our rights back!

The belt or shoulder holster requirement ( I think ) serves to address "presentation"....as well as "retention".

Keeping in mind that once this bill becomes laws on January 1, 2016......a licensee can carry anywhere from fully concealed....... to rather notoriously displayed...with lots of options allowed in between.

Some folks may decide that their elbow and forearm provides all of the "retention" necessary.

Other folks may opt for thumb-brakes or other mechanisms for release.

I figure ...it is YOUR SELF DEFENSE WEAPON .....and YOU.... would rather that it not become someone else's criminal assault weapon.

That's certainly something to think about. I'm sure that when open carrying I will be twice as attentive and conscientious as when concealed. I prefer a minimalist type holster myself. But we shall see.

Carry an empty gun on the belt as a decoy?
    The rule has nothing about retention except a new requirement for "retention training" in the handgun licensing class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    The rule has nothing about retention except a new requirement for "retention training" in the handgun licensing class.

That very thought crossed my mind as well. That would be one shocked thief! But it all seriousness I think we are doing a lot of assuming and supposing about the mythical 'what if?'

It's pretty well established that guns don't get grabbed from holsters unless you're already in an altercation.

..... some spin dr may try to claim that you are baiting criminal behavior doing that .so just load it with empty shells (wheel guns) or dud bullets ..... I must have gotten a bad batch of ammo or they must have gotten wet,or I forgot to reload when I was out practicing
    been open carrying for over a decade in other states , had no problems but remember ..if anyone reaches for your gun they have one hand occupied and you should have a clear shot at an eye gouge or throat chop etc.etc.etc you have to burn grabber defense tatics in your mind to reaction or almost a reaction state because if the perp gets it you don't need him to use it. you will be an accessory....ie you brought the tool that was used to the murder site. very serious stuff , you must always be prepaired to rumble for retention. I often keep my gun wiped down so that the possibility of getting their prints and dna on it are at its best.....
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

I thought it would be clear that I was joking. Next time I'll use the [humor][\humor] tags

Quote Originally Posted by JDW1911 View Post
    That's my understanding as well. I know they mentioned adding that language in an attempt to get the police unions on board. I see that as nit picking. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I'm very happy we're getting our rights back!

You’re not getting anything back. You still have to pay for a permit, so you not getting your rights back, your still baying for a privilege to OC. As for I am concerned TX is still a commie state. At least we in La. did it right back in 1870 and made OC legal without a permit.

Wolf
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Yes, and your point is?
    The Texas Constitution allows regulation of wearing of arms "with a view to prevent crime." Once we make the "polite little secret of carry" visible next year, people will realize that it is a non-issue and at some point we could have unlicensed carry for the first time since 1880.
    And for those not paying attention, we outlawed carry because 1) the cattleman' association wanted to reduce availability/ready access to arms, 2) post-civil war, they wanted to keep freedmen from carrying guns, 3) Dallas police wanted to get guns out of the public square because it increased risk to them. City police objections aside, I think we may be past some of these issues.

Like I said we’ve had OC since 1870. The only thing the government regulates is concealed carry. All I can say is yal need to get rid of the lefties in Austin.

Wolf
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang1952 View Post
    You’re not getting anything back. You still have to pay for a permit, so you not getting your rights back, your still baying for a privilege to OC. As for I am concerned TX is still a commie state. At least we in La. did it right back in 1870 and made OC legal without a permit.

Wolf
    here here, someone else who understands there has been nothing gained in Lonestar citizen's rights but continued pursuit by the state to push their privlege card profit center by adding a basic enhancement!!

much ado about nothing is quite applicable as the bard wrote about court politics in his famous play.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

This forum is about open carry. Jan 1 will be the first time we have been able to legally carry modern handguns in the open while going about our day. I'd say we are making progress.
    It is NOT nothing.
    It is not restoration of rights and it is incremental, but it's also rather unproductive to tell me about 1870 Louisiana. (The state that more recently reelected felon and former governor Edwin Edwards and KKK leader David Duke. And I lived there when Duke was running/governing.)

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    here here, someone else who understands there has been nothing gained in Lonestar citizen's rights but continued pursuit by the state to push their privlege card profit center by adding a basic enhancement!!

much ado about nothing is quite applicable as the bard wrote about court politics in his famous play.

ipse
    It's nothing?

What's changing is that across the entire state of Texas, one (albeit, some) will be able to engage in an activity that prior to Jan 1 would have resulted in having force used against them, in them being incarcerated, made to endure prosecution, and to suffer punitive measures. That isn't "nothing." That's huge. There's a lot of work left to be done, but you know what solus? In states with constitutional carry, there's a lot of work to be done in the name of liberty.
    Advocate freedom please

Like I said we’ve had OC since 1870. The only thing the government regulates is concealed carry. All I can say is yal need to get rid of the lefties in Austin.

Wolf
    There are problem legislators from all over the state.

Texas is still a 'commie' state, in plenty of respects., and still would be even if we had achieved constitutional carry this past session.

That doesn't negate that liberty was expanded, no matter how dissatisfied you are with the degree.

You're welcome to come help us fight for additional expansion in the future, but I'll warn you, a more positive attitude will probably be necessary to be of much effect.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 06-07-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Texas is still a 'commie' state, in plenty of respects.
    You must be in Austin

Wolf
    Maybe you should vacation somewhere else, we like what is being served, don't spit in our food just because you don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    It's nothing?

What's changing is that across the entire state of Texas, one (albeit, some) will be able to engage in an activity that prior to Jan 1 would have resulted in having force used against them, in them being incarcerated, made to endure prosecution, and to suffer punitive measures. That isn't "nothing." That's huge. There's a lot of work left to be done, but you know what solus? In states with constitutional carry, there's a lot of work to be done in the name of liberty.
    so stealth, et al., tell me how, without a privilege card, the good lonestar citizens who OC are avoiding the bold, underlined, italic comments you threw out in your tirade?

and the coup de grace with your emotional chastising of me by lambasting with the 2A rhetoric.

and it is obvious about much ado about nothing reference went over your head...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Ok guys (and gals), y'all just need to come show us how it's done, k? Tiny little internet bitches need to step up and help solve the problems instead of whining about the slow pace of progress.
    We will be going from no open carry to reasonably widespread opportunity to carry openly. How about we work with what we have on the way to what we want.
    just truly love it noname when you resort to name calling..

1. widespread opportunity is what you said...well you have approximately 708K privilege cards currently in play in a state of 26.9M.
    2. out of those 708K i'm willing to bet, maybe, high end guess...3K will take a chance and OC. period, not just in the beginning but total.
    3. and you wish your legislature, sometime in your near future ~ 5 years, to drop the privilege card profit center for 3K of the voting populace.

yes sir, noname, please work with what you have...

by the way this critical internet individual (sorry i do not use nor tolerate the use of your derogatory term and am extremely disappointed you lowered yourself to publicly address members of this forum that way!! ) has from the beginning of the OC campaign flatly and consistently stated using LG to OC would be a dismal failure and to reach consensus within the texas factions to come up with a consolidated strategy...

tag, tell me noname how are the campaign organizers going to garner support to change your privilege card situation when only 3K out of 26.9M OC?

as the Commander stated, quote: I just think it is time we stopped deluding ourselves everywhere in this country and stop lying to ourselves. unquote.

ipse

so stealth, et al., tell me how, without a privilege card, the good lonestar citizens who OC are avoiding the bold, underlined, italic comments you threw out in your tirade?

and the coup de grace with your emotional chastising of me by lambasting with the 2A rhetoric.

and it is obvious about much ado about nothing reference went over your head...

ipse
    This is real simple, solus. We made an accomplishment in Texas, and you're attempting to minimize it. --moderator edited-- Have a good one, pal.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-07-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Personal insult
    Advocate freedom please

tag, tell me noname how are the campaign organizers going to garner support to change your privilege card situation when only 3K out of 26.9M OC?
    And therein lies the problem. Why would politicians piss off 30.000 law officers and the Legions of Internet liberals to accommodate the 3K of us who will open carry on occasion? Hopefully there will be positive movement once they realize that, while few actually carry in the open, some do, and no new blood flows in the street. When CC was debated here, the same "blood I the street" predictions were proclaimed. The exact same sorts of proclamations were made for licensed OC this year.
    I would guess that the only guns 90% or more of Texans have seen outside of hunting or TV (or the military) are on LE. We have to normalize the seeing of guns before we go much farther.

It will be an uphill effort.

Got a gently used SW 5906 ready to carry in January. Can tell those that ask 'it is a police gun', so you can trust me...

I think the Texas Pols were looking at the 900,000 CHL voters that now have expanded liberties.

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I sold my 5906 some years ago and was regretting it. Then I thought about wearing 2 lbs of steel... But I was a great gun.
    I ordered it in Slidell, LA, in 1988, right after they were announced. I had to wait many weeks for it to arrive.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast