• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need clarification on Texas open carry rules

JDW1911

I was curious if anyone knows of the Texas open carry law will require a thumb brake retention on holsters?

Does our law specify any rules different than our neighbors in Oklahoma and Louisiana?

I'm new here and really enjoy reading and learning from all y'all!

buchschacher

From what I have read there are no specifications on retention devices. It only specifies belt or shoulder holster. They tried to add an amendment to require specific retention requirements but it was shot down

JDW1911

That's my understanding as well. I know they mentioned adding that language in an attempt to get the police unions on board. I see that as nit picking. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I'm very happy we're getting our rights back!

rushcreek2

The belt or shoulder holster requirement ( I think ) serves to address "presentation"....as well as "retention".

Keeping in mind that once this bill becomes laws on January 1, 2016......a licensee can carry anywhere from fully concealed....... to rather notoriously displayed...with lots of options allowed in between.

Some folks may decide that their elbow and forearm provides all of the "retention" necessary.

Other folks may opt for thumb-brakes or other mechanisms for release.

I figure ...it is YOUR SELF DEFENSE WEAPON .....and YOU.... would rather that it not become someone else's criminal assault weapon.

JDW1911

That's certainly something to think about. I'm sure that when open carrying I will be twice as attentive and conscientious as when concealed. I prefer a minimalist type holster myself. But we shall see.

nonameisgood

Carry an empty gun on the belt as a decoy?
The rule has nothing about retention except a new requirement for "retention training" in the handgun licensing class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDW1911

The rule has nothing about retention except a new requirement for "retention training" in the handgun licensing class.

That very thought crossed my mind as well. That would be one shocked thief! But it all seriousness I think we are doing a lot of assuming and supposing about the mythical 'what if?'

nonameisgood

It's pretty well established that guns don't get grabbed from holsters unless you're already in an altercation.

bushwacker

..... some spin dr may try to claim that you are baiting criminal behavior doing that .so just load it with empty shells (wheel guns) or dud bullets ..... I must have gotten a bad batch of ammo or they must have gotten wet,or I forgot to reload when I was out practicing
been open carrying for over a decade in other states , had no problems but remember ..if anyone reaches for your gun they have one hand occupied and you should have a clear shot at an eye gouge or throat chop etc.etc.etc you have to burn grabber defense tatics in your mind to reaction or almost a reaction state because if the perp gets it you don't need him to use it. you will be an accessory....ie you brought the tool that was used to the murder site. very serious stuff , you must always be prepaired to rumble for retention. I often keep my gun wiped down so that the possibility of getting their prints and dna on it are at its best.....

Wolfgang1952

That's my understanding as well. I know they mentioned adding that language in an attempt to get the police unions on board. I see that as nit picking. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I'm very happy we're getting our rights back!

You’re not getting anything back. You still have to pay for a permit, so you not getting your rights back, your still baying for a privilege to OC. As for I am concerned TX is still a commie state. At least we in La. did it right back in 1870 and made OC legal without a permit.

Wolf

nonameisgood

Yes, and your point is?
The Texas Constitution allows regulation of wearing of arms "with a view to prevent crime." Once we make the "polite little secret of carry" visible next year, people will realize that it is a non-issue and at some point we could have unlicensed carry for the first time since 1880.
And for those not paying attention, we outlawed carry because 1) the cattleman' association wanted to reduce availability/ready access to arms, 2) post-civil war, they wanted to keep freedmen from carrying guns, 3) Dallas police wanted to get guns out of the public square because it increased risk to them. City police objections aside, I think we may be past some of these issues.

solus

You’re not getting anything back. You still have to pay for a permit, so you not getting your rights back, your still baying for a privilege to OC. As for I am concerned TX is still a commie state. At least we in La. did it right back in 1870 and made OC legal without a permit.

Wolf

here here, someone else who understands there has been nothing gained in Lonestar citizen's rights but continued pursuit by the state to push their privlege card profit center by adding a basic enhancement!!

much ado about nothing is quite applicable as the bard wrote about court politics in his famous play.

ipse

nonameisgood

This forum is about open carry. Jan 1 will be the first time we have been able to legally carry modern handguns in the open while going about our day. I'd say we are making progress.
It is NOT nothing.
It is not restoration of rights and it is incremental, but it's also rather unproductive to tell me about 1870 Louisiana. (The state that more recently reelected felon and former governor Edwin Edwards and KKK leader David Duke. And I lived there when Duke was running/governing.)

stealthyeliminator

here here, someone else who understands there has been nothing gained in Lonestar citizen's rights but continued pursuit by the state to push their privlege card profit center by adding a basic enhancement!!

much ado about nothing is quite applicable as the bard wrote about court politics in his famous play.

ipse

It's nothing?

What's changing is that across the entire state of Texas, one (albeit, some) will be able to engage in an activity that prior to Jan 1 would have resulted in having force used against them, in them being incarcerated, made to endure prosecution, and to suffer punitive measures. That isn't "nothing." That's huge. There's a lot of work left to be done, but you know what solus? In states with constitutional carry, there's a lot of work to be done in the name of liberty.

stealthyeliminator

Like I said we’ve had OC since 1870. The only thing the government regulates is concealed carry. All I can say is yal need to get rid of the lefties in Austin.

Wolf

There are problem legislators from all over the state.

Texas is still a 'commie' state, in plenty of respects[strike].[/strike], and still would be even if we had achieved constitutional carry this past session.

That doesn't negate that liberty was expanded, no matter how dissatisfied you are with the degree.

You're welcome to come help us fight for additional expansion in the future, but I'll warn you, a more positive attitude will probably be necessary to be of much effect.

Last edited:

carstensxd45

Like I said we’ve had OC since 1870. The only thing the government regulates is concealed carry. All I can say is yal need to get rid of the lefties in Austin.

Wolf
Maybe you should vacation somewhere else, we like what is being served, don't spit in our food just because you don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

solus

It's nothing?

What's changing is that across the entire state of Texas, one (albeit, some) will be able to engage in an activity that prior to Jan 1 would have resulted in having force used against them, in them being incarcerated, made to endure prosecution, and to suffer punitive measures. That isn't "nothing." That's huge. There's a lot of work left to be done, but you know what solus? In states with constitutional carry, there's a lot of work to be done in the name of liberty.

so stealth, et al., tell me how, without a privilege card, the good lonestar citizens who OC are avoiding the bold, underlined, italic comments you threw out in your tirade?

and the coup de grace with your emotional chastising of me by lambasting with the 2A rhetoric.

and it is obvious about much ado about nothing reference went over your head...

ipse