Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: apology if this has been addressed/new laws? how do they affect Washoe County/reno

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La Paz county, Arizona.
    Posts
    338

    apology if this has been addressed/new laws? how do they affect Washoe County/reno

    With preemption does this mean the "no guns" sign at the libraries in Reno sparks are now unlawful?
    2 yrs ago while working as an indy contractor for washoe I got all kinds of grief for OC, was told its illegal by people that didn't even know what NRS means.
    Reno city hall? Reno libary? washoe county buildings?
    All still off limits for open/ccw carry?

    We can carry switchblades now??
    open - concealed? do we need a permit?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    With preemption does this mean the "no guns" sign at the libraries in Reno sparks are now unlawful?
    2 yrs ago while working as an indy contractor for washoe I got all kinds of grief for OC, was told its illegal by people that didn't even know what NRS means.
    Reno city hall? Reno libary? washoe county buildings?
    All still off limits for open/ccw carry?

    We can carry switchblades now??
    open - concealed? do we need a permit?

    thanks!
    As I understand it (this is not legal advice), the libraries can still ban CCW permit holders from carrying concealed firearms into the libraries under NRS 202.3673, if they either have metal detectors at all public entrances or have signs prohibiting firearms at all public entrances. They cannot ban the open carry of firearms into the public libraries.

    I don't know about switchblades. Did the Legislature make carrying switchblades legal, or preempt local dangerous weapon laws concerning knives? I am just familiar with the laws that have passed concerning firearms.
    Last edited by ed2276; 06-05-2015 at 09:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    For basically everywhere but Clark County, preemption means that civil penalties in October are strengthened if someone is adversely affected by enforcement of a local regulation or law. For instance, if a library kicks you out, they are in trouble. It also clarified that anybody but the state has no business making any kind of gun law or rule.
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

    Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    55
    @ chrsjhnsn- I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't been to a library lately so not sure if they are 'sign posted' or not. Where are you and which location do you visit? I live close to the Spanish Springs branch. I may have to check it out this weekend. I guess I should copy a few of the pertinent NRS #s to have in hand just for cover.
    @garand_guy: please clarify metal detector definition. I know the libraries have the inventory control stands that a patron is required to walk thru but I don't know if that is the same as a metal detector.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by SW40VE-OC View Post
    @garand_guy: please clarify metal detector definition. I know the libraries have the inventory control stands that a patron is required to walk thru but I don't know if that is the same as a metal detector.
    That would not be the a metal detector. That is a proprietary type of unit for the little tags.

    Also I think Garand guy has a link to the open carry pamphlet as a sticky at the top of the page.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by SW40VE-OC View Post
    ... I know the libraries have the inventory control stands that a patron is required to walk thru but I don't know if that is the same as a metal detector.
    I can attest that they do not detect metal...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    55
    Thanks Steve. I didn't think those stands are metal detectors, but it helps to have the question answered. It might be wise to look at each one you pass thru to check for modifications. I'll be happy to clarify that by PM if it's unclear. I have a pamphlet printed out that I carry in my truck. I guess its time I reread it to refresh my knowledge.

  8. #8
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    That would not be the a metal detector. That is a proprietary type of unit for the little tags.

    Also I think Garand guy has a link to the open carry pamphlet as a sticky at the top of the page.
    You're correct. I used to be a library page and they are RFID type technology to prevent book theft.

    And I just have the website, Nevadacarry.org. The pamphlet is someone else's.
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

    Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    The primary effect seen in Washoe County will be that the Republicans -- especially Senator Traitor -- will use this to "prove" that they aren't really anti-gun at election time, despite their despicable showing regarding the laws which would have had ACTUAL effect.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    The primary effect seen in Washoe County will be that the Republicans -- especially Senator Traitor -- will use this to "prove" that they aren't really anti-gun at election time, despite their despicable showing regarding the laws which would have had ACTUAL effect.
    It'll be up to us to expose their treachery to the voting public, and show them for who they really are.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    BTW, GarandGuy, ARIZONA treats you like an adult.

    The Republicans running Nevada treat you like an annoying child -- they make sounds which make you go along with them, then they ignore what they said they would do and do what the "grownups who know better" decide to do.

    This means that the Republicans running Nevada believe that Arizonans are smarter than you are, and can be trusted with grownup things like guns. If they thought the voters would let them get away with it, they would ban open carry without a license.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    BTW, GarandGuy, ARIZONA treats you like an adult.

    The Republicans running Nevada treat you like an annoying child -- they make sounds which make you go along with them, then they ignore what they said they would do and do what the "grownups who know better" decide to do.

    This means that the Republicans running Nevada believe that Arizonans are smarter than you are, and can be trusted with grownup things like guns. If they thought the voters would let them get away with it, they would ban open carry without a license.
    Unless you are an adult who feels like having a nice cold beer... Then their laws resemble that of Cook County Illinois.
    Last edited by DON`T TREAD ON ME; 06-08-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Spelling as usuall

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La Paz county, Arizona.
    Posts
    338
    http://www.ammoland.com/2015/06/knif...#axzz3ca7yHrtY

    so it looks like you have to stop at every municipal and county line and consult a lawyer ....
    no campus carry, we have to find out which republicans derailed us and get them the heck out of office.
    who the heck do they think elected them? who are they working for?
    do they honestly think that screwing over gun owners/tax payers will mean liberals will suddenly vote R?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    The betrayal was by Brower, who didn't let the bills get to a vote.

    He was no doubt protecting other Republicans who didn't want to be on the record voting against but don't trust their voters enough to let them have their civil rights.

    Register Libertarian, then send Brower and the Party a copy of your registration form and a letter explaining why. You might also ask what they intend to do to become worthy of regaining your vote.

    Myself, I would rather see a Democrat in the office than a Republican who acts like a Dem.

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    The betrayal was by Brower, who didn't let the bills get to a vote.

    He was no doubt protecting other Republicans who didn't want to be on the record voting against but don't trust their voters enough to let them have their civil rights.

    Register Libertarian, then send Brower and the Party a copy of your registration form and a letter explaining why. You might also ask what they intend to do to become worthy of regaining your vote.

    Myself, I would rather see a Democrat in the office than a Republican who acts like a Dem.
    From what I have read, some of the republican central committees are not at all happy with some of their own and are saying they won't support them for re-election.

    Let's hope that is true. Remember we do have choices. Other parties, and of course one of my favorites "none of the above".

    Despite what some say, voting for Non-repuplicrats is not throwing your vote away. I tend to think if we all voted our conscience we would not be in the shape we are. I truly believe if all those who liked Ron Paul would have
    not viewed it as a wasted vote, he would be the President instead of the hapless moron now in office.

    TBG

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    I wouldn't want to see Ron Paul as President. Secretary of State would be a better match.

    I wish I could believe the rumor about the Republican committees, but the only way this will happen is if they see a lot of registered Republicans joining another party. Registering "independent" doesn't impress them, they figure that it's just a temper tantrum and you'll still vote the party, but when you go to another party, that is seen as having made a decision to defect.

    The party you choose counts, too. Both the Ds and Rs know that Green, Peace & Freedom, Constitution, etc are all one-issue parties, whose voters will "come home" for the important elections; most members of those parties eventually return to the "home" party. Register Libertarian, however, and they can't make that assumption -- this frightens them, which is an excellent reason to register LP. Most Libertarians DO NOT return to their earlier affiliations, though will cross party lines to vote for a worthy candidate.

    This means that if you tell the Rs that they can't get you back, but can earn your vote if they do the right things, they are more likely to pay attention.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •