• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who needs a gun while confronting trespassers

user

Accomplished Advocate
At the risk of waxing excessively serious in what has been generally witty and clever, I've got a couple of observations.

1. You can never defend "mere property" with a display, much less use, of deadly force. "Mere property" is personal property (that is not presently subject to a burglary) and real property that is beyond the curtilage. "Stopping a serious felony in progress" is ok (rape, robbery, murder, burglary, and arson) as is "defense of habitation" (popularly, "castle doctrine"), because those imply a threat of serious bodily harm to humans potentially present and an obvious willingness to kill 'em.

2. Never, ever, fire a warning shot in Virginia. It almost always leads to prosecution for crimes even if it was done for a good reason. Unless and until you have a necessity to kill, keep the gun in its holster, don't look at it, don't touch it, don't talk about it, and don't gesture towards it or call attention to it in any way. But as Tuco said in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", "When you need to shoot, shoot! Don't talk."

3. Assuming the land is marked, posted, or fenced, and unless you have given prior permission, hunters may not enter with vehicles, bows or firearms to retrieve dogs, prey, etc. 18.2-136. You can prohibit possession of firearms on your own property just as a shopping mall can. I take the position that a person on my land who is not a bona fide licensee (there with my permission) and carries a gun when I've told him not to do so becomes a self defense situation: I have, at that time, a reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, that he is presenting me with an imminent threat of serious bodily injury while engaged in unlawful activity (hence a presumption of malice). If I tell him to put the gun down and take three steps backwards (no, not into the covered pit of snakes), and he doesn't do it, I'm justified in believing that he intends to kill me.

"And that's all I've got to say about that."

Baked on Grease

Question about number one. I just read a lawsuit a couple days ago (on mobile, will find it after lunch) where the judges had said that pointing a firearm at a threat is not considered deadly force and is an acceptable for of self defense. Not in so many words mind you, but that was the gist of what the judge said while defending the cops pointing firearms directly at someone being unlawfully detained.

Is there any case law pertinent to VA about pointing a firearm being the same as use of deadly force? Or is that a murky area of law where it could go either way depending on the judge hearing the case?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Question about number one. I just read a lawsuit a couple days ago (on mobile, will find it after lunch) where the judges had said that pointing a firearm at a threat is not considered deadly force and is an acceptable for of self defense. Not in so many words mind you, but that was the gist of what the judge said while defending the cops pointing firearms directly at someone being unlawfully detained.

Is there any case law pertinent to VA about pointing a firearm being the same as use of deadly force? Or is that a murky area of law where it could go either way depending on the judge hearing the case?
Pointing a gun is brandishing. If the situation is such as you need to point it, shoot.

nonameisgood

Pointing a gun is brandishing. If the situation is such as you need to point it, shoot.

Except when pointing removes the need to shoot. Constantly reassess your situation. Although the gap in time between drawing and firing can be very short indeed, if you don't need to shoot, don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Ya doesn't even have to point it, just bringing intentional attention to it by your actions can be construed as brandishing.

user

Accomplished Advocate

Yes, pointing a firearm at someone is the application of deadly force. Yes, it can be an effective means of self defense. But there's so much other freight in this question that I'm inclined to offer special tutoring (at usual hourly rates, of course).

user

Accomplished Advocate
Never leave a superior defensive position to strike at an exposed enemy because that will expose you as well.

EVERY position is a blend of offense and defense. And a superior position in one sense implies a balancing weakness in another. No matter how you place your feet for the strongest posture, you're off-balance in six other directions. It's a question of an appropriate attitude for the situation you're facing, which can change instantaneously. That's why the mind of the warrior is open, flexible, and uncluttered by self-importance.

"Suffer the little children to come unto me, for to such as these is the Kingdom of Heaven; I tell you truly, that you cannot even see the Kingdom of Heaven unless you can become like one of these children." -- It's not because children are pure and sinless, it's because they're open, flexible, and intellectually honest (they're not engaged in constant lying to themselves in order to bolster the ego). The way of the warrior is the Kingdom of Heaven.

If you can't perceive the threat, you can't meet it appropriately. And to be able to have proper perception, you have to have peace. You can't have good situational awareness if you don't have peace.

twoskinsonemanns

Never leave a superior defensive position to strike at an exposed enemy because that will expose you as well.

As much as I don't like the idea, a proper course of action may depend on the circumstances. I personally have outbuildings on my property with very high value content in them. I have had occasions where the alarm on these outbuildings have sounded and I choose to investigate it. The handful of alarms in my time owning the property have been false. But I still feel it is my right as the owner to investigate it.
It surely is popular to wax righteous about not forcing a confrontation when you can simply hide and willing be robbed but I reject the notion.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But I still feel it is my right as the owner to investigate it.
It surely is popular to wax righteous about not forcing a confrontation when you can simply hide and willing be robbed but I reject the notion.

I completely agree with your first assertion.

As I understand the way the world works, your second assertion makes you the aggressor. You obviously have little or no problem with that. I will support your right to your opinion. I'm just not sure about supporting you if things go south because of that.

stay safe.

utbagpiper

Banned
As I understand the way the world works, your second assertion makes you the aggressor. You obviously have little or no problem with that. I will support your right to your opinion. I'm just not sure about supporting you if things go south because of that.

I have suffered a few bruises here for being solidly on the side of "moral men don't use deadly force to protect 'things'". I do not believe it is morally defensible to use deadly force to prevent simple theft of mere property in our modern society. When loss of provisions might have meant certain starvation and death...maybe. But today where property can and should be insured? Nope.

That said, I do not believe investigating an alarm makes anyone an aggressor. I don't even think confronting a trespasser or burglar makes someone an aggressor. Certainly there is a third way between coming out shooting (or even brandishing) and hiding while thieves have their way.

"What are you doing? Do you need help?" isn't aggressive. "Hey, that isn't yours. Put it down and leave." isn't aggressive. Neither is, "You are trespassing. Set down your gun and take three steps backward."

Being armed and prepared in case the burglar or trespasser chooses to become aggressive rather than respecting your lawful commands, or even peacefully turning to flight, seems only prudent.

Which isn't to say that tactically and safely, maybe hanging back and hiding isn't the best course to take in some cases. I just don't think it is legally or morally required in order to avoid being the "aggressor".

Charles

Silvertongue

As much as I don't like the idea, a proper course of action may depend on the circumstances. I personally have outbuildings on my property with very high value content in them. I have had occasions where the alarm on these outbuildings have sounded and I choose to investigate it. The handful of alarms in my time owning the property have been false. But I still feel it is my right as the owner to investigate it.

I used a (mangled) Game of Thrones quote to try and discuss rights vs tactics. Your point is in blue while mine is in not-blue.

You absolutely have a right to go anywhere on your property armed with whatever you like for whatever reason or no reason at any time. Additionally, stepping out from behind cover is not tactically sound. I didn't use "however" or "but," I used "additionally;" the two statements are not conflicting or contradicting.

Let's go the direction of a TV show that's a bit older and may have been seen by more people: Justified. In the pilot episode, Raylan Givens leaves Ava Crowder's house to step outside and confront Dewey Crowe. This was absolutely morally justified while also tactically idiotic.

twoskinsonemanns

I understand your tactical assessment. It may be the best advice depending on your goal.
Just a hypothetical along the same lines. What would you do if you looked out your window and saw someone attempting to steal your vehicle?

Silvertongue

Activate the alarm.

What, you don't home carry your keys? It's the best "HEY SOMETHING IS GOING ON" that you can get this side of gunshots.

Last edited by a moderator:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

Unfortunately most judges seem to have different standards for what it's OK for cops to do than what it's OK for the rest of us to do....

Roscoe

va_tazdad

Unfortunately most judges seem to have different standards for what it's OK for cops to do than what it's OK for the rest of us to do....

Roscoe

And what is okay for them to do, or force us to do in their little kingdom, the court room. Judges like most doctors have a big god complex.

Like they say, "power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely". Just look at Mr. Transparency in the White House. He doesn't even remember the Constitution he supposedly taught.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

"Peter", I think you mis-spoke...

I'm just waiting for one of those dog hunters to get their brains blown out while sneaking around houses. That'll speed things up some in the General Assembly.
You implied there might be brains in those skulls. All evidence is to the contrary.

Ducking and running erratically to escape.....LOL