• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who needs a gun while confronting trespassers

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://m.wdbj7.com/news/local/south...-times-after-confronting-trespassers/33393962

Bennie Wesley Sigmon, 48, was shot multiple times by the one of the three men who were trespassing on his property.
DANVILLE, Va. -

UPDATE: A Danville man is dead after confronting three trespassers early Thursday morning.

Bennie Wesley Sigmon, 48, was shot multiple times by the one of the three men who were trespassing on his property.

This happened at his home on the 2000 block of Rocklawn Place around 4:20 a.m. He was taken to Danville Regional Medical Center, where he died shortly before 7 a.m.

Danville police are investigating Sigmon's death as a murder. The medical examiner will perform an autopsy.

No arrests have been made.

Anyone with information should contact Danville Crime Stoppers at (434) 793-0000 or email crimetips@danvilleva.gov.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Should have just hidden in his closet or under his bed. No reason to go out in his own yard at 4:00 in the morning, even if he knew the people and had no reason to fear them. :(

twoskinsonemanns

Should have brought a flashlight to investigate. Particularly one mounted to the forearm of an AR.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Should have brought a flashlight to investigate. Particularly one mounted to the forearm of an AR.

I'm just waiting for one of those dog hunters to get their brains blown out while sneaking around houses. That'll speed things up some in the General Assembly.

Marco

No reason to go out in his own yard at 4:00 in the morning

I like to take my LARGE dogs outside at all hours of the day/night, so they get exposed to different situations.:lol:

Shovelhead

He was supposed to go out on his porch with his double barreled shotgun and fire two times..................
Isn't that the VP's prescription for bad guys on your property?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He was supposed to go out on his porch with his double barreled shotgun and fire two times..................

One if by land, two if by sea......with apologies to Henry.

nonameisgood

It was a single shot, on the veranda, iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

It was a single shot, on the veranda, iirc.

Only if was off the balcony. http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...fense-by-man-arrested-for-shooting-gun-in-air

On February 19 Biden – then promoting a package of gun control proposals that included a ban on assault-style rifles – said he had advised his wife, "if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house."

No balcony, no can shoot.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I understand that a person expends time and effort in order to get "things", as well as giving up other things in order to get "things". But going out of a secure position to investigate someone who does not have permission to be on your property? I don't understand why folks think doing so is a good idea.

I'm not saying you have to wait for the cops to arrive. I'm saying that until you know who and what you are up against it is a big risk with little reward to leave cover.

stay safe.

FBrinson

I understand that a person expends time and effort in order to get "things", as well as giving up other things in order to get "things". But going out of a secure position to investigate someone who does not have permission to be on your property? I don't understand why folks think doing so is a good idea.

I'm not saying you have to wait for the cops to arrive. I'm saying that until you know who and what you are up against it is a big risk with little reward to leave cover.

stay safe.

Agreed. Last year I had the occasion to confront three trespassing hunters on my property in Surry County. Several thoughts ran through my head when I spotted them coming onto my land while I was out hunting. Dial 911 on my cell? Slowly retreat to the house? Approach and confront? Confront without being seen? I chose to confront without being seen. Since I was deer hunting UNTIL I saw the three (armed with shotguns) trespassers enter my property, I had my blaze orange cap on. I took the hat off, took cover behind a large oak, peeked out and shouted to them that they were on private property and demanded that they leave immediately. (I had my cellphone recording as well). There was more to this but the point is that I was outside, and chose to remain hidden until they were no longer on my property as you just never know where a confrontation will lead. I could have called the sheriff I suppose, but I was on a trail that I could have moved quickly, 100 yards away, behind cover of trees and guessed, correctly, that they were just taking advantage of hunting my land knowing at that time I was not there very often. Had I been in my field and noticed three armed people walking in the woods, I would have handled the situation differently.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Be sure of your target. Unless I'm right behind the wire where only the enemy is supposed to be out there I need a better target identification.

No need to holler "Halt! Who goes there - friend or foe?" My friends will notify me that they are approaching. Everybody else needs to have a good response to "Who the eff are you and what the eff are you doing here?"

In boot camp the company commander decided to go see how the recruits walking guard duty were doing. He got the "Halt, who goes there ..." challenge. He said he was the company commander so was instructed to come forward to be identified. Problem was I had never laid eyes on him or his picture. Proned him out and called for the Sergeant of the Guard - that worthy gentleman wanted to tear me at least one or possibly several new ones. Company commander stopped him and made a note to check up the food chain to find out why "his" recruit did not know what he looked like. Told to reinforce "know your target". I was forever afterwards targeted (for exposing the screw-up of the DIs and their leaders).

stay safe.

HPmatt

Troublemaker. Everyone knows the CO is Farid Mohamed Admidinijad....[emoji4]