Thread: showing id

showing id

Quick question, I just went through a state patrol checkpoint that was checking everyone's Id and insurance. Do I have to give it to them with no RAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly25 View Post
    Quick question, I just went through a state patrol checkpoint that was checking everyone's Id and insurance. Do I have to give it to them with no RAS.
    These are DUI checkpoints probably, several other places believe them to be unconstitutional, the point is to get you to roll down your window, so they can claim they smell beer on your breath or some other substance emanating from the car, you can place your ID card and your insurance card up against the glass of the window, so they can read it without giving them a false circumstance excuse, this will/should usually work.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Absent RAS or PC, what gives them the justification for stopping just to check ID?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Well, according to the Supreme Court it's the 'untold carnage on our highways caused by inebriated drivers. And although we realize that it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment, we're gonna allow it because it's only a teensie-weensie one and everyone knows 'the end justifies the means'.'

Of course, if DUI went completely away tomorrow, the shift would just be to the new cause of 'untold carnage' once implemented such things seldom go away. The last time I can remember a bad idea being rescinded was back in December of 1933.

BTW, they're not checking ID, they are checking for a valid license to perform an action, i.e. drive a motorized vehicle on state highways.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 06-06-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    <chuckle>

The lower-case "id" in the thread title had me wondering whether police were going too far: "Now, sir. I'm not interested in checking your ego; I just need you to answer a few questions about your id."

Of course, the proper pro-liberty response to such a question would be: "I wouldn't answer any questions without my therapist."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    <chuckle>

The lower-case "id" in the thread title had me wondering whether police were going too far: "Now, sir. I'm not interested in checking your ego; I just need you to answer a few questions about your id."

Of course, the proper pro-liberty response to such a question would be: "I wouldn't answer any questions without my therapist."
    Sorry, I just got done talking to the trooper and was going to be heading back that way in about 10 minutes. Time to get a reply was quick, I so badly wanted to stand my ground but needed someone else's input. I politely told her that I didn't have time to fight with her on the matter, but she had no right to demand my ID without RAS or a traffic violation, which she replied with "She does have the right"

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly25 View Post
    Sorry, I just got done talking to the trooper and was going to be heading back that way in about 10 minutes. Time to get a reply was quick, I so badly wanted to stand my ground but needed someone else's input. I politely told her that I didn't have time to fight with her on the matter, but she had no right to demand my ID without RAS or a traffic violation, which she replied with "She does have the right"
    Your state motorist associations (AAA, etc.) will sometimes be interested in illegal roadblocks. I recall one that wanted its members to report every instance of a drug roadblock.

Also, you can skim the FAQs at Flexyourrights.org. I vaguely recall they addressed which roadblocks were legal and which were not.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Well, according to the Supreme Court it's the 'untold carnage on our highways caused by inebriated drivers. And although we realize that it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment, we're gonna allow it because it's only a teensie-weensie one and everyone knows 'the end justifies the means'.'

Of course, if DUI went completely away tomorrow, the shift would just be to the new cause of 'untold carnage' once implemented such things seldom go away. The last time I can remember a bad idea being rescinded was back in December of 1933.

BTW, they're not checking ID, they are checking for a valid license to perform an action, i.e. drive a motorized vehicle on state highways.
    I guess that would depend on whether the cop demanded, "I wanna see sum ID. From everybody in the car." Or, "Sir, I need to see your license and registration."

It occurs to me the OPer didn't really say.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Absent RAS or PC, what gives them the justification for stopping just to check ID?
    Guns, lots of guns...you don't want to get shot for not complying do you.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I guess that would depend on whether the cop demanded, "I wanna see sum ID. From everybody in the car." Or, "Sir, I need to see your license and registration."

It occurs to me the OPer didn't really say.
    True, I inferred that he meant the police were checking the ID of every driver that came through the checkpoint. Asking each occupant of a vehicle to present ID would be extremely hard to justify as a means of preventing 'the carnage drunken drivers cause on our highways'.

I'd also hope that any passenger in any vehicle asked to do such would most politely tell Officer Friendly to go pummel granular siliceous material.

Only ones of those I have been stopped at in MO besides local holiday weekend checkpoints were on Hwy 21 north of Pilot Knob. If traffic is sparse they checked everyone, if it is heavy they checked like every 3rd car. I have hit several through there over the years in about the same spot. They have never asked for anything besides DL and proof of insurance, taken a quick glance and then waved me about my day. I object in principle but they have never made it drawn out or asked about anyone else in the vehicle. It's been several years since I have been through there so don't know if it is still SOP to run them there.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."